Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SOLVED! Damnit, I think I forgot a washer... (No Oil Pressure after Rebuild)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 04:00 PM
doabarrelroll
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOLVED! Damnit, I think I forgot a washer... (No Oil Pressure after Rebuild)

So, my engine has finally breathed it's first breaths again!

Now, I still have no oil pressure

I'm looking at the diagram for the crankshaft and I believe I forgot to put on the washer that goes between the camshaft drive belt gear and the oil pump. Would this cause no oil pressure outright?

I've check the OPRV, the torque of the crank bolt, oil down the filter galley, etc.

Last edited by doabarrelroll; 06-06-2011 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:11 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, the thrust washer is needed for the oil drive gear.. you can stick a mirror up infront of the crank and see if that washer is there.

Is it really necessary to have a signature with pictures that takes up half 3/4 of your posts?
Old 05-24-2011, 04:39 PM
Reimu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We're doing pretty much the same exact swap (although my car is a regular n/a)

Please don't scare me with such things
Old 05-24-2011, 06:38 PM
doabarrelroll
Pro

No, I guess it isn't necessary. I was intending the pictures to be all in a row.

Holy hell, this means a lot of work this weekend to get at that washer in there.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:43 PM
krazykarl
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 43 Posts

Before you tear everything apart make sure the washer is actually missing, and that it's not something simple like the wiring for the oil pressure sensor isn't connected.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:50 PM
doabarrelroll
Pro

Well, I'm pretty sure the sensor is good because I get the red warning light for low oil pressure and I believe the sender will peg up to 5 bar if there is a problem. Besides, after starting, I had no oil in my oil filter. /sigh
Old 05-24-2011, 06:54 PM
krazykarl
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 43 Posts

How long did you let it run before shutting the motor off? It takes a while for the pump to move the oil thru the engine on a fresh rebuild. It will take a while but some people have been able to get pressure just by spinning the engine without spark plugs installed and the fuel pump disabled.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:40 PM
doabarrelroll
Pro

I did my best to prime the oil pump by pumping oil into the various galleys inside the area where the oil filter screws onto. Then, I cranked the engine backwards to suck it into the pump. I did A LOT of cranking with the fuel pump disconnected hoping I would get above 1 Bar of pressure.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:31 PM
Rudeboy42
Rennlist Member

I just had a similar thing happen to me, except I didn't tighten the crank shaft bolt enough and the pulleys started backing out. It happened a few days after I just got it running again but luckily I wasn't far from home.

Just walk away from it for a few hours to try and forget about it. Then go back to it and power through the tear down and take your time putting it back together. That worked well for me, I ended up getting the whole thing apart in less than two hours and I had it back and running in time for an autocross event a few days later.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:06 AM
Dan Shea
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I was thinking this was going to be one of those times missing a washer was just saving weight.. hope you get it figured out!
Old 05-25-2011, 12:04 PM
doabarrelroll
Pro

Yea, I checked out the car and i noticed a 2-3 mm space between the cam drive gear and the front of the oil pump. Looks like I'll pulling the front pulleys, gear, and other junk. Not too thrilled about it but if it means I have oil pressure, it's worth it!

Now I need to track this damn washer down.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:47 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by doabarrelroll
Yea, I checked out the car and i noticed a 2-3 mm space between the cam drive gear and the front of the oil pump. Looks like I'll pulling the front pulleys, gear, and other junk. Not too thrilled about it but if it means I have oil pressure, it's worth it!

Now I need to track this damn washer down.
If you can't find it, call Chuck or Jason at Paragon, they got me a NOS one from Germany back in February when I was putting my 944 back together...
Old 05-28-2011, 06:48 PM
doabarrelroll
Pro

Well, this washer is now installed. Still not getting any oil pressure, /sigh.

I've disconnected the rear oil cooler hose (closest to the cabin) while cranking and no oil comes out.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:57 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

What was the extent of work done on the motor? Have you actually let the car fire or only have been cranking it?

I recently did alot of work on mine and could not get oil pressure to build while cranking. Cranked for 10-15 seconds 5-6 times and got nothing. I ended up just starting the car and as soon as it fired and idled the oil pressure came right up. I think most of the problem was the amount of assembly lube i had on everything was causing alot of drag.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:01 PM
doabarrelroll
Pro

Basically a complete rebuild (rings, bearings seals, etc.)

I've fired it and cranked it extensively. The OP gauge bounces around at 1 bar, but, never leaves that range when actually running.

I've tried pouring oil into the filter port and cranking the engine backwards in the attempt to prime the oil pump, but, no success.

At this point I've cranked for a total of 1 minute and had it started because I got to the point of expletives.

Quick Reply: SOLVED! Damnit, I think I forgot a washer... (No Oil Pressure after Rebuild)