Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

setting up 944 for club rally

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 10:26 PM
upcruiser
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default setting up 944 for club rally

Hey, newcomer here to the forum. I've lurked around and read stuff on the forum before but finally registered. Seems like a good group of knowledgable folks here.

I'm considering undertaking a rather ambitious project with my 944 this winter. It's an '83 that is bone stock other then a set of 17"cup wheels with 210,000 miles on the clock currently. I've owned it since '95 and its been an absolute joy. I've kept it stock because I really enjoyed the car for what it was and am not a power junky.

What I'm considering is converting it over for group 5 rally racing. Yeah, I know, I realize that their are other cheaper routes to go with, but I already have this car and think it would make a fun project and unique car to see bombing down forest roads.

I'm in the stage right now where I'm trying to price out all of the components and modifications that it would take to prepare the car. I thought that some of you guys may have some insights that would help. I haven't seen any 944's set up for action in the dirt, but realize that Porsche did campaign some 924's back in the late 70's in some European rallies. I have a feeling though that I'm going to be doing a fair share of pioneering on this one.

Here are a couple of questions that I thought some of you may point me in the right direction for.

Roll cage. Any suggestions for companies that manufacture and/or install them for the 944?

Fuel cell.

Suspension suggestions. I figure I need to get at least an inch higher ride height if not more. I believe I could get that in the rear with reindexing the torsion bar, however, any suggestions for the front? Really, I'd like to do a coil spring conversion for the rear if it could realistically fit into my shoe string budget.

This one will be way out on a limb, any suggestions for someone who manufactures skid plates for the 924/944?

How about sources for a locking or locked rear diff?

I'm planning on keeping the motor stock for now. It still runs great with no oil consumption and good compression.

These are just the tip of the iceberg, but I thought I'd start somewhere. Sorry about the shot gun blast of questions and info, I'm just trying to gather as much info as I can to help me make a decision on whether to pursue this or go another route.

Last edited by upcruiser; 10-24-2003 at 03:01 PM.
Old 10-23-2003, 11:19 PM
trebor_quitman
Burning Brakes

Interesting idea! I've never done any rally stuff, but from what I've seen they usually swing the rear end out and drift around allot of the corners. Would such a neutrally balanced car be a good idea for such an event? Interested to hear more on the topic.
Old 10-23-2003, 11:33 PM
upcruiser
Advanced

I think that is why the 944 would be great. The car's attitude is so easily adjusted when cornering due to the 50/50 weight distribution. I've done some "gravel testing" and find it a breeze to throw around.
With pendulum turns being pretty effortless without even using the hand brake. Also, I think the 944 puts the power down pretty effectively and the close ratios of the stock tranny are great too. It would need every advantage it could get too, because it would be in Group 5 which would be going against turbo 4 and 6's and V8 powered Mustangs. Those Mustang's are really fast too.

Just will be hard to see my baby getting dinged up.
Old 10-24-2003, 01:19 PM
Waterguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try re-titling your thread to get more attention/response. These are not typical newbie questions!

For fuel cells and roll cages, talk to the 944Spec racers. M758 seems to head up that group and has a useful website, so maybe PM him.

For suspension, Skip is a good starting point and Paragon Products is a good starting supplier. Once Skip gives you his Koni recommendations, the Bilstein supporters will chime in and suggest alternates.

I think you will be on your own for skid plates!

Do a search on the 944 Turbo forum under LSD. There are several options available for limited slip differentials and they have been discussed recently (including suppliers and prices.) I don't know whther torque-biasing or clutch-type would be better for rally, but both are available.

Actually, it might be a good idea to cross-post this to the Turbo forum and the Rally - TSD forums. A lot of the turbo drivers seem to race, both in turbos and in 944spec NAs, so it might get more informed attention there under a more appropriate title.
Old 10-24-2003, 01:25 PM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep this up, it would be a very interesting project.

Skid plates aren't hard to make, you'll probably have to go that route.
Old 10-24-2003, 03:02 PM
upcruiser
Advanced

Thanks guys, I changed the subject for the thread, hopefully that helps. I'll try investigating some of those leads later today when I get some time.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:58 PM
md1609
8th Gear

I know this is kind of an old post, but I'm looking at doing the same to my 944 N/A. How is your project going (is it still going)?

Quick Reply: setting up 944 for club rally