Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idea: Active Aerodynamics on a 944

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 11:31 AM
IMB951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
NOW here is an interesting twist to the OP post... how about not only an aerobrake, but an auto-adjusting spoiler, and auto-adjusting splitter, both having user definable extension and retraction curves based on separate input signals (speed, air pressure, braking, etc..)?

How does THAT idea strike anyone??
It strikes me as brilliant! That's the kind of brainstorm I'm trying to stir up!
Old 04-29-2011, 11:48 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IMB951
It strikes me as brilliant! That's the kind of brainstorm I'm trying to stir up!
Sad part is it isn't a brainstorm for me... more like a brainleak... or perhaps a brainfart...

I should be finishing a piece of the puzzle week after next, but am still missing a couple pieces of the puzzle... and strek me I lost the box, so I am kind of slow getting the puzzle pieces to fit together!
Old 04-29-2011, 11:56 AM
IMB951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please take pics as you go to share with us. Don't wait till the fest to reveal this cryptic project of yours
Old 04-29-2011, 12:28 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by IMB951
Please take pics as you go to share with us. Don't wait till the fest to reveal this cryptic project of yours
I wasn't talking about a project.. I was just musing out loud... and what happens for the fest, gets shown at the fest THEN spoken about here... in that order...

I have been promissing a build thread for almost a year... I refuse to post a build thread here untill it is done..
Old 04-29-2011, 12:41 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
NOW here is an interesting twist to the OP post... how about not only an aerobrake, but an auto-adjusting spoiler, and auto-adjusting splitter, both having user definable extension and retraction curves based on separate input signals (speed, air pressure, braking, etc..)?

How does THAT idea strike anyone??
I'd love to play with that...but for the record, I believe the wing-adjuster struts on a Veyron are the same parts used on Airbus wing flaps...$$$$$$$$$$$$

I am presently imagining electronically deployable airbrake type devices on a 944, similar to a Murcielago's auxiliary vents (they pop out on either side when it gets going fast for more airflow through the engine bay).

For some reason I am imagining a Lindsey Stage V header panel being useful for something like this...also, I bet flaps could be made in place of the quarter windows that could be actuated outwards quickly.

Or someone could borrow an F1 car and copy their undertray design to try to get some downforce going, so that you can go through the corners faster and not need to brake as much...hopefully your tires are good...

**** it, someone install bow thrusters on their NA
Old 04-29-2011, 01:00 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
I'd love to play with that...but for the record, I believe the wing-adjuster struts on a Veyron are the same parts used on Airbus wing flaps...$$$$$$$$$$$$

I am presently imagining electronically deployable airbrake type devices on a 944, similar to a Murcielago's auxiliary vents (they pop out on either side when it gets going fast for more airflow through the engine bay).

For some reason I am imagining a Lindsey Stage V header panel being useful for something like this...also, I bet flaps could be made in place of the quarter windows that could be actuated outwards quickly.

Or someone could borrow an F1 car and copy their undertray design to try to get some downforce going, so that you can go through the corners faster and not need to brake as much...hopefully your tires are good...

**** it, someone install bow thrusters on their NA
I can just see the reseblance...

OK, not really, but you get my point...
Old 04-29-2011, 05:11 PM
andys-944
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Funny to see this, a business partner and I were thinking about a after market air/ brake wing attached to the brakes for the ricer's but it seemed, well frankly a little silly if possibly fun, although you can see guys stopped at the lights touching the brakes
For a road car there very little benefit (when has that ever stopped us) and for a track car as some one already said most rules don't allow movable aerodynamic devices since the old fan cars.
That said the actuator would not need to be very powerful as long as the pivot point of the wing allowed for dynamic balancing (think aircraft rudders).
Old 04-29-2011, 07:43 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by andys-944
That said the actuator would not need to be very powerful as long as the pivot point of the wing allowed for dynamic balancing (think aircraft rudders).
Howabout a hydraulic system...like a second brake master cylinder with the balance bar, with lines plumbed to essentially clutch slave cylinders, so that the flaps open when you hit the brake pedal...
Old 04-29-2011, 11:03 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
Howabout a hydraulic system...like a second brake master cylinder with the balance bar, with lines plumbed to essentially clutch slave cylinders, so that the flaps open when you hit the brake pedal...
Airflow hitting the brake / spoiler would cause sever pedal feedback.. but nice thinking!
Old 04-30-2011, 09:27 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I have an idea for race application only as it would render head lights inoperable. If you replaced headlight assembly with just some carbon fibre lids like the ones Jan is making, and then had them pivot from a hinge at the front. Then modify the head light lifting mechanism, so it lifts the lid up from the back, so rear of lid lifts a few inches.

This would create some down force and far less turbulence/drag compared to when using head lights. By removing head llight assembly, you would decrease weight significantly, which would help existing lifting mechanism lift lids quicker, and hopefully have them quick enough to be effective to aid braking.

To take this a step further, you could have a small flap attached between the rear of lids, across the bonnet, that slides up as lids are raised, from a slit across rear edge of front valance (?). This *curtain* would need to be on roughly a 45 degree angle to the ground and extremely rigid.I am thinking kevlar/CF composite.

I hope that makes sense as I can picture it in my head, but am not sure it is clear when written.

peace
Cyberpunky
Old 04-30-2011, 12:22 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

If anyone ever wants to put in the work on the mechanics but can't figure out how to get it to actuate or needs electronic help, I have several different microcontrollers here on my desk that could easily bring all of this together for cheap and with a huge increase in function over just wiring them to your brake lights through a relay. (speed sensing, brake sensing, pressure sensing, adjustable angles of attack based on sensor input, adjustable angle of attack based on driver input through a controller) basically whatever you could want.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:33 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Campeck
If anyone ever wants to put in the work on the mechanics but can't figure out how to get it to actuate or needs electronic help, I have several different microcontrollers here on my desk that could easily bring all of this together for cheap and with a huge increase in function over just wiring them to your brake lights through a relay. (speed sensing, brake sensing, pressure sensing, adjustable angles of attack based on sensor input, adjustable angle of attack based on driver input through a controller) basically whatever you could want.
You got PM..

Quick Reply: Idea: Active Aerodynamics on a 944