Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

late sport seats or recaro speed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 04:09 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default late sport seats or recaro speed?

ok sorry for all the confusing posts, they're just an extension of how messed up i am right now about seating...

i think ive narrowed it down to two choices:

1) late style 4 way or manual black sport seats
2) recaro speeds in black vinyl/black suede.

the speeds are a little more expensive and when you include rails/mounts it gets even more so... but they are readily available... i also like recaro since they are the manufacturer of the original seats...

sport seats are more in line with what i want out of the car (using Porsche parts only) but aren't as available in good condition... unless someone knows of any??

i guess im looking for an experience with either of these two seats and/or know of any for sale second hand. i found a decent price for new speeds online, it'll be my last resort...
Thanks everyone!
Chris
Old 03-21-2011, 04:46 PM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a very nice set of Porsche script Sport seats FS in the members FS area

Edit: found them. https://rennlist.com/forums/for-sale...or-panels.html
Old 03-21-2011, 06:00 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just took out my race seats and went to factory heated sport seats. MUCH HAPPIER for daily driving duty and still get great support. Actually think the setup looks better too.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:09 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

From a performance / track oriented setup i would go with the Recaro's. They are much lighter; i had 4-way power leather sport seats in my n/a and they were uber heavy, if i remember right about 55lbs per seat. The Recaros with brackets, sliders..etc come in around 30-35lbs. Plus the Recaro's are harness compatible if you track / auto-x your car.

It also depends alot on your body size. If your a slim guy like me the factory sport seats hug you perfectly. If you are a bigger guy you may find them too tight. Plus getting in and out with the larger bolster can be annoying if your older and have trouble with low cars already (my dad hated getting in and my car, but he is also 63). The Recaro's are much more forgiving to a larger framed person but still hold you in very well regardless.

Comfort wise i find the Recaro SRD's (older version of the Speed) more comfortable than the factory sport seats. The lower lumbar is way better and my lower back does not hurt as much as it used to.

The factory seats are good, but i personally prefer the SRD or Speed.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:26 PM
Dimi 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Techno Duck - Recaro SRD is a great seat!
Old 03-21-2011, 07:24 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

i wouldn't get fixed back seats for road driving. in my opinion, the Sparco Milano Prestige/Demon are close to the best seat for the street. ever. the equivalent Recaro adjustable sports seats aren't any better. they just cost more.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CCwQ8wIwAA#

Sparco Demon, Milano Prestige, Detailed Product Description;

Tubular frame, soft leather upholstery and 2 color styling, TUV Homologated, Tested and Approved to ECE 17 (Europe) and FMVSS 208 (USA)

Features:

Lateral Support:

Lateral side bolsters keep the driver in the optimum seating position at all times which is especially vital when cornering at high speeds. The side bolsters keep your body in an upright driving position helping to fight driver fatigue.

Lumbar Support:

An integrated internal lumbar adjustment system ensures proper ergonomics and ultimate comfort at all times.

Micro Adjust:

The micro-fine recline mechanism can be adjusted to the millimeter to guarantee the perfect seating position. Extensive research and development has been performed by Sparco Master Certified Safety Engineers to insure that the strength and integrity of the Micro Adjust Mechanism exceeds our strict homologation standards.

Dual Density Foam:

Ultra high-density foam surrounds the seat's shell to reduce the amount of vibration transfer into your body. The decrease in vibration transfer helps to battle driver fatigue allowing you to maintain focus and concentrate on driving.

Quick Tilt System:

The revolutionary and exclusive QTS (Quick Tilt System) technology allows the backrest to be returned to the upright position or tilted forward for access to the rear seats in a two door vehicle.

they're a perfect fit in our cars.

Attached Images   

Last edited by odurandina; 03-21-2011 at 07:46 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:17 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

I swapped out my factory sport seats for a set of Recaro Speed seats for a few reasons:

- I am tall and would not fit in the stock seats with my helmet on unless I opened the sunroof
- I prefer cloth to leather for hot humid days
- I knew I eventually wanted to add harnesses
- I like the extra lateral shoulder support in the Speed seat

That said, the stock seats are still really good. If you don't plan to add harnesses and don't need to fit with a helmet ( assuming you're shorter than the 6'1 that I am) then I'd probably just stick to factory sport seats.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:55 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Dougs951
There is a very nice set of Porsche script Sport seats FS in the members FS area
Doug, thanks i sent him a PM to ask a few questions. thanks for the heads up!

Originally Posted by Cole
I just took out my race seats and went to factory heated sport seats. MUCH HAPPIER for daily driving duty and still get great support. Actually think the setup looks better too.
Thats kind of what im leaning towards, i'd love to be track ready with harnesses and a roll bar with race seats but im not sure i'll ever truly take advantage of all that.

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
From a performance / track oriented setup i would go with the Recaro's. They are much lighter; i had 4-way power leather sport seats in my n/a and they were uber heavy, if i remember right about 55lbs per seat. The Recaros with brackets, sliders..etc come in around 30-35lbs. Plus the Recaro's are harness compatible if you track / auto-x your car.

It also depends alot on your body size. If your a slim guy like me the factory sport seats hug you perfectly. If you are a bigger guy you may find them too tight. Plus getting in and out with the larger bolster can be annoying if your older and have trouble with low cars already (my dad hated getting in and my car, but he is also 63). The Recaro's are much more forgiving to a larger framed person but still hold you in very well regardless.

Comfort wise i find the Recaro SRD's (older version of the Speed) more comfortable than the factory sport seats. The lower lumbar is way better and my lower back does not hurt as much as it used to.

The factory seats are good, but i personally prefer the SRD or Speed.
weight was my concern too so thats one of the snags that has me between these two... if the stock seats weighed 30lbs or so this would be a lot easier...

Originally Posted by Dimi 944
I agree with Techno Duck - Recaro SRD is a great seat!
Thanks Dimi
Originally Posted by odurandina
i wouldn't get fixed back seats for road driving. in my opinion, the Sparco Milano Prestige/Demon are close to the best seat for the street. ever. the equivalent Recaro adjustable sports seats aren't any better. they just cost more.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CCwQ8wIwAA#

Sparco Demon, Milano Prestige, Detailed Product Description;

Tubular frame, soft leather upholstery and 2 color styling, TUV Homologated, Tested and Approved to ECE 17 (Europe) and FMVSS 208 (USA)

Features:

Lateral Support:

Lateral side bolsters keep the driver in the optimum seating position at all times which is especially vital when cornering at high speeds. The side bolsters keep your body in an upright driving position helping to fight driver fatigue.

Lumbar Support:

An integrated internal lumbar adjustment system ensures proper ergonomics and ultimate comfort at all times.

Micro Adjust:

The micro-fine recline mechanism can be adjusted to the millimeter to guarantee the perfect seating position. Extensive research and development has been performed by Sparco Master Certified Safety Engineers to insure that the strength and integrity of the Micro Adjust Mechanism exceeds our strict homologation standards.

Dual Density Foam:

Ultra high-density foam surrounds the seat's shell to reduce the amount of vibration transfer into your body. The decrease in vibration transfer helps to battle driver fatigue allowing you to maintain focus and concentrate on driving.

Quick Tilt System:

The revolutionary and exclusive QTS (Quick Tilt System) technology allows the backrest to be returned to the upright position or tilted forward for access to the rear seats in a two door vehicle.

they're a perfect fit in our cars.

OD, thanks man. that was... thorough.

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
I swapped out my factory sport seats for a set of Recaro Speed seats for a few reasons:

- I am tall and would not fit in the stock seats with my helmet on unless I opened the sunroof
- I prefer cloth to leather for hot humid days
- I knew I eventually wanted to add harnesses
- I like the extra lateral shoulder support in the Speed seat

That said, the stock seats are still really good. If you don't plan to add harnesses and don't need to fit with a helmet ( assuming you're shorter than the 6'1 that I am) then I'd probably just stick to factory sport seats.
Omni, thats kind of what i was hoping to hear... i can always sell the sport seats later for around the same price i imagine if i was to get more serious with the track stuff.

thanks for the advice!
Old 03-22-2011, 12:21 AM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Another thing to mention, if you decide to buy a set of recaro's, do your homework, replicas are very popular, but not safe IMO
Old 03-22-2011, 12:33 AM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Doug, thats something ive come across quite a few times. i need to stay away from those "too good to be true" deals... Thanks again.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:54 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

sent a message and left a post for Potent951turbo yesterday but haven't had a response. Hopefully he will log on soon...

in the meantime found a recovered set of vinyl sport seats but the guy won't ship so im trying to work that out...

Thanks for all the help/suggestions guys
Chris

Last edited by sydneyman; 03-22-2011 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:58 PM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Good luck with the purchases, and yea a friend of mine put a set of ebay specials in his M3 and I refuse to ride or drive in that car.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:00 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Yeah thats something i take pretty seriously. i've had a couple of people from reputable race seat shops tell me some things that i know for a fact are not safe... kind of scary really.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:33 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sydneyman2007
found a recovered set of vinyl sport seats but they guy won't ship.....

Where is he located? Maybe someone local would be willing to pick up and ship.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:48 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Cole
Where is he located? Maybe someone local would be willing to pick up and ship.
yeah thats what im hoping for, i started another thread to see if anyone was local to him. kind of a long shot but hopefully it works out. thanks Cole

Quick Reply: late sport seats or recaro speed?