Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My History And The Building of my "LS44"

Old 03-05-2011, 01:50 PM
arthropraxis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FWIW, I installed Rob's dual master cylinder mount last week. I had to relocate the coil pack to the strut tower. If you use the truck coil packs there is no need to even do that.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:23 PM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xschop
I may take you up on the spare harness mod later....and Ugggh NO, the Cayenne 330mm rotor will not fit inder the 951 calipers without grinding the calp crossover arches to toothpicks
I finished the adapter bracket design for the Wilwood Superlites to bolt-up to the NA with the Cayenne rotors already. Just need time to pretty them on the CNC.
Make sure that you ground both heads and the LS1 block because the gasket material in not very conductive and you can get misfires...BTDT
Sounds great! Let me know.

Keep me updated on the brakes.

Originally Posted by acorad
fwiw, I was certain I'd want boosted brakes, but after a short time with the manual brakes I'm pretty much fine with them. Power brakes are now way down on my list of things to do.

Of course I've not tracked my car yet...
Ok, Im going to just have to try it.. I hope it works... It would be the easiest...

Originally Posted by Dimi 944
A fried of mine did his LS1 conversion years ago and is utilizing the brake system shown here

He has a decent conversion write up on Porschehybrids.
I have seen that before, I dont want to add the pump/plumbing to the engine bay... unless i REALLY have to...

Originally Posted by docwyte
I made 372rwhp with a mild cam, LS6 intake manifold and throttle body and shorty headers.

I'm running a hydroboosted brake setup from a Ford Mustang and a Turn 1 power steering pump. Works very well, but I can't see how you'd hide the lines...
Yeah, your car is what makes me think i wont hit 400HP... but i can hope....

I would like to avoid the hydroboost just for powersteering pump and lines...

Originally Posted by CyCloNe!
beautiful work, keep the pics coming!
Originally Posted by arthropraxis
FWIW, I installed Rob's dual master cylinder mount last week. I had to relocate the coil pack to the strut tower. If you use the truck coil packs there is no need to even do that.
If i have problems this is the way i will go... May need to call in some special favors though... I hear XSChop isnt making those anymore....

Thanks for all the questions I really do appreciate all of them!!!

Mark
Old 03-05-2011, 10:29 PM
arthropraxis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you could get 400 RWHP if you add 243 heads with some mild port work and long tube headers to Doc's build.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:42 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 323 Posts

Most guys are making 340rwp, I had to do a cam swap to hit the 372rwhp. If you do 1 7/8" long tubes and a good set of ported 243s you should be able to hit 400rwp.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:23 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

http://www.jegs.com/p/Blueprint-Engi...21870/10002/-1

the real solution
Old 06-02-2011, 10:42 PM
marky522
Drifting

Sorry for the lack of updates, I have a bunch of stuff to add but....

It's Alive!!!

I primed the oil system with 20psi of oil through the remote oil filter using a pressure brake bleeder, primed the fuel system and it seriously cranked up IMMEDIATLY!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaI_uEOt6p4

Here is how i connected my Walboro 255 to the GM Filter/regulator, I used one of the fuel line repair kits from dorman, the 3/8's with a 90' end, cost like $12 I think, took my factory fuel line from the pump to the filter, removed the end that went into the filter, its just a barbed fitting, trimmed it back slightly to get fresh plastic to push it into and used the barbed piece in the repair kit, boiled it in hot water for like 10 minutes and pushed it all together. Works great and no signs of leaks.

Kinda OT, but here are pics of a harness I built for a guy on here, turned out better than mine...

Here is what my firewall looked like...

And after, much better with the holes filled...

Another boring day at work...

I went back and forth a million times on what springs to run... Double or beehive... the added saftey of the double is nice... but the added weight isnt... these springs are supposed to be the best for a beehive, untill recently I hadnt seen a single failure, PAC 1518

I replaced every exterior bolt to black allen button head, coil pack, front cover etc. I figured it was going to cost me $75 for the factory bolts i was missing, and it only cost me $80 for like 5x more bolts than i needed it was an easy choice...

Didnt have button head for the alternator or the intake so i had to settle for regular black allen bolts

The belt i used for a solid mounted alternator... looped it around the alternator then half way around the crank and used a socket to spin the crank and the belt popped on... almost perfect, it could be like 5mm longer...

updated setup under passenger fender...

To make for less plumbing i moved it here... if i would have left it under the fender I would have needed to drill another hole for a 3rd bulkhead fitting into the battery tray so my coolant reseviour could "T" into the return heater line BEFORE the heater control valve. I will be fabbing up a cover for this area...

I forgot how low this car sits... ITs actually back on all 4 wheels... Ugly wheels.... but beggers cant be choosers...

This is about 95% of it... just waiting on the brake and clutch master cylinder's, and radiator hoses... Steering shaft....

This shows ground clearance... my front suspension is currently as HIGH as it will go, so the car was sitting lower... not sure i will go that low again, but its still plenty low...

This picture is decieving, it makes the collector look very low, but you can see in the previous pic they dont sit below the body of the car, tucked up NICE!!!

This shows it better... please ignore the brake line, its just pulled up out of the way till i get my new lines, and the nasty caster blocks are going to be replaced with either Elephant Racing monoballs or complete control arms...

And these two make me feel MUCH better about my lines, there is no way the wheel is going to hit them, now i just need to setup my wheel well liners and shield the lines.

So I am currently waiting on my reseviour, I decided on a VW res its shaped like a soccer ball, came with the cap and coolant sensor for ....... $16 shipped new on ebay.... And my brake and clutch master's and the braided -3 lines i ordered to keep the M/c's clean. And i need to stop at advance and pickup some 3/8 line for coolant for my vent tubes to the overflow, solid vac line to feed the HVAC stuff, radiator hoses, and a cap for the fill port on the N/A radiator.

I have also contacted "Howe Racing" and was quoted a custom radiator according to the Turbo Dim's with AN -16 fittings, dual pass, both fittings on the passenger side, with a drain plug in the bottom, and mounting tabs across the top and bottom, ( I will remeasure before ordering as i plan to cut out all the factory radiator brackets so i may have more room to go wider) for around $400...

Feed back is welcome!!!
Old 06-02-2011, 11:03 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been watching your thread on ls1tech. Lots of work you've done, hope you enjoy every second of driving. Ls1 f body are great fun but the chassis leaves much to be desired. Can only imagine how it is in a944. You using the na tranny iirc?
Old 06-02-2011, 11:47 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Holy cow nice work. That is all.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:17 AM
kingston944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want an LS in mine . Come lets do mine next. LOL Next year ????????
Old 06-03-2011, 09:24 AM
marky522
Drifting

Originally Posted by onspeed
Been watching your thread on ls1tech. Lots of work you've done, hope you enjoy every second of driving. Ls1 f body are great fun but the chassis leaves much to be desired. Can only imagine how it is in a944. You using the na tranny iirc?
Yeah, the plan is the NA trans is going to be sacrificial, im going to take some agression out on that thing... Im going to build a turbo trans once i get it running. Thanks, i cant wait to drive it either, hopefully this weekend...

Originally Posted by Matt O.
Holy cow nice work. That is all.
Thanks Matt, that means alot coming from you!

Originally Posted by kingston944
I want an LS in mine . Come lets do mine next. LOL Next year ????????
LOL! sounds good, I actually have family in Niagara falls, London, and Hamilton... I would LOVE to build another one.... So many things i would do differently...

Mark
Old 06-03-2011, 09:34 AM
CyCloNe!
Race Car

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

Very nice... I hope to do this one day myself
Old 06-03-2011, 09:38 AM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Some people are friggin handy I say.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:38 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Nice build!
Old 06-04-2011, 08:20 AM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

very nice work !

Looks like a fun project !!
Old 07-23-2011, 09:33 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Mark I will be in town on Monday or Tuesday and expect to see this bad boy!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My History And The Building of my "LS44"