Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My History And The Building of my "LS44"

Old 03-03-2011, 09:43 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Nice. I'll admit I thought you would never pull it off when you told me about this a few years ago. I'll see you at VIR sometime.

Last edited by knfeparty; 07-23-2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:03 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

unbelievable work. i cant wait to see more
Old 03-04-2011, 12:31 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

what are you doing for brakes master cylinder wise- the manual brake option is not really an option- it sucks.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:54 AM
stuntman703
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is awesome. i feel like i'm learning sooo much just by reading and viewing, keep up the amazing work.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:24 AM
marky522
Drifting

Sorry for the delay in responding, i wasnt getting an email notification...

Originally Posted by choinga
nice job man - gonna be a great car.

But jesus christ, that harness alone is going to give me a nightmare tonight...what a PITA.
Thanks, I still have nightmares about that harness..... I also have nightmares about redoing it.... there are a few things i would redo... Like moving the alternator to the other side.

Originally Posted by onspeed
Props to you for making your own longtubes. Admittedly, they aren't the prettiest things, but if they don't leak and get the job done then way to go. Curious to know how the fitment / ground clearance is with them.

Any internal work done to the motor? Might as well go h/c/i while it's easy to access...
The headers were built in the car, so clearance is really good, I know people are trying to find an off the shelf solution to modify, but it just isnt going to happen, and the main reason for that is because the tips of my collectors angle to the center of the car to the point where they would be inside the transmission of any of the LS cars, and the vette... all those headers hit the steering shaft... Building them was the only way, I wanted 1 3/4 or larger and Renegade's are 1 5/8 and crack.... I wanted long tube so the recent ones that XS help design woldnt work. Once i finally finish them they will be much nicer, There just tacked together in that pic, they are in the process of being welded and ground, then i am getting them ceramic coated black...

The Engine was completely torn down, rebuilt with stock bearings etc, updated rod bolts, LS6 intake, 241 heads with a fresh valve job. and a late Z06 Cam. My goal was 400 to the wheels but i have pretty much accpeted i wont get that, I basically have a late Z06 motor with long tubes, so thats what 400 at the crank, Yeah i doubt the headers will make up the 10-15% drivetrain loss... I have been seriously thinking about getting a custom cam done, but at this point that would take about $400-$500 it sets me back a little longer, i have to dissassemble the engine again... I really just want to drive the car, and i have a feeling that I am gonig to have my hands full with the 380+ that it does make.... I would REALLY like to go to VIR with it once this summer, I have a LOT to learn....

Originally Posted by Dimi 944
It looks like you have a nice plan to follow! So far it looks great! Thanks for taking the effort in posting a detailed write up!
Not a problem, thanks for the comments! My only regret is not documenting on it from the beginning.

Originally Posted by pettybird
Involved, and very well documented! You ARE going to respray the engine bay, aren't you???
LOL! You know i recently drywalled the ceiling in the garage and removed the two 4' lights that were in there (1 only worked half the time) and installed 10 8' lights... And realized how freaking nasty that engine bay is... And to top it all off, someone went to the trouble of taking this ultra common SILVER 944 and painted it that Crazy RARE Guards Red.... but the engine bay is still siver.... Anyway... This car will get a paint job... But more than likely it wont be this body getting painted... about twice a year i see a shell go up for sale with a rollcage already in it... That would be my dream... if not Ill find a CLEAN bare shell and do my paint work on it, itll allow me to have ALL that tar crap stripped off of it and not damage my one and only brain cell!!! I am going to have issues taking this car back off the road once i get it running.... This way i can have my body painted and swap everything over.

Originally Posted by roman944
nice build! want to sell it?
LOL! Please dont say that with my wife around.... I was recently in a motorcycle accident and have been out of work for 2 weeks.... I have toyed with the idea. The funny thing is once i get it done, more then likely i will. ITs all about the project for me, but i really do want to learn to drive so maybe not.

Originally Posted by Porsche16V944
whats with your alternator set-up? Didn't run the typical top mount... care to elaborate on any mounts you made or alt you used?

Thanks,
Jeff
Something really funny about that.... obviously I wanted to keep the engine bay as clean as possible, well the MAIN reason i went with the Electric water pump was so i didnt have to run that hideous tensioner... I am running the alternator on the low drivers side, it bolts directly to the block with no brackets, i just need to make a spacer to line it up with the crank pulley. As for tensioning the belt, well If you remove the bottom bolt, it tilts inward a few inches, if you take a cutoff wheel and remove 90% of the head of one of the case bolts of the alternator you gain another inch, i am going to get a belt that will slip on this way push the alternator over and bolt it down. I also have an idea for a bracket that would allow me to utilize a bolt hole very close on the block and give me full swing, thats my backup plan...

Originally Posted by docwyte
Nice, but your story makes me happy I got my LS1 out of a running car!
Dude, you are so lucky, the only thing I have going for me is there are no questions in my head about the condition of the engine, but if i had to do it again I promise you there would be a complete 6.0 Ironblock in there...

Originally Posted by xschop
I like the oil relo lines, gives somewhat of an "oil cooler" effect going thru hard lines at that length. Wish I had the time to replumb my heater core lines and clean the bay some more....kudos
BTW, I about have the Wilwood hats done for the 86T. I discovered you can use the factory 951 calipers on the 32mm thick rotors, you just need to grind the rotor sweep edges a little inside the calipers, no biggie.

P.S....get well soon
Yeah, my plans are to add a cooler up front later and what i will do is run the forward oil line to the front of the car, then run a hard line from the filter up under the fender to the front. If you come across a spare harness i would be more than happy to customize it for you, you have done ALOT for the 44 swap scene, you should be happy to know the ONLY true purchased swap parts on my car are from you!!! Thanks again!

Are you saying the Cayenne rotors will fit under 951 calipers....

Originally Posted by odurandina
wow........... simply wow. congratulations.

Thank your very much
Originally Posted by knfeparty
Nice. I'll admit I thought u would never pull it off when you told me about this a few years ago. I'll see you at VIR sometime.
Thanks Ash, I cant wait! We really need to meet up when your in town next... I know you keep calling me...
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
unbelievable work. i cant wait to see more
Thanks, I cant wait to do more actually...

Originally Posted by xsboost90
what are you doing for brakes master cylinder wise- the manual brake option is not really an option- it sucks.
Thanks Dan... you just ruined my night I keep trying to tell myself that the manual brakes will be fine... if that is the case, i could end up going a couple different ways. The solution that someone pointed out to me today on the hybrids forum was to basically use a 1:1 master to slave to actuate the stock booster relocated to the battery area, and it turns out there are vehicles out there like this, but to me mechanically my concern is no failsafe... its a single circuit that controls all my brakes, and mechanically I dont like that... I cant imagine doing a straight at VIR going into the corner to find NO BRAKES....

Option 2 is go with Rob's tandem M/C setup this seems like a great solution except its larger than the other options.

Option 3 is a hydroboost utilizing one of the many electric power steering pumps out there, That way the lines could immediatly dissapear into the fenderwell and i could mount it above my filter.

Option 4 is the most expensive and completely unrealistic... But the 911 hydroboost setup... Its very nice, but as reliable as the aircooled 911 it came in.... And just as expensive....

Option 5 I guess that m/c that has it all built in should be an option, but honestly that just feels like im throwing money at a problem to make it go away, and if its between throwing money away or sanity... Well i dont have much of either but at least i have a small amount of sanity...

Thanks for all the comments everyone, I really do enjoy them.... Hopefully I go do something tomorrow, at least i can what i did on other parts of the project, i have a bunch of pictures.

Mark
Old 03-04-2011, 01:25 AM
marky522
Drifting

Originally Posted by stuntman703
This is awesome. i feel like i'm learning sooo much just by reading and viewing, keep up the amazing work.
Thank you very much! Its Great to hear that !!!

Mark
Old 03-04-2011, 02:06 AM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock ls6 is 400 at the crank iirc. Long tubes should gain ~20-30hp. I would expect dyno numbers to be ~370-380 with a tune on a mustang dyno.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:12 AM
marky522
Drifting

Originally Posted by onspeed
Stock ls6 is 400 at the crank iirc. Long tubes should gain ~20-30hp. I would expect dyno numbers to be ~370-380 with a tune on a mustang dyno.
Yeah, thats about what i was thinking... but if that electric water pump is worth its weight in HP then ill easily be over 400... could be close to 500 ( that thing really must be made out of lead)

Mark
Old 03-04-2011, 02:21 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 631 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by xsboost90
why? too firm? or too soft?

OP, what brand electric pump is that?
Old 03-04-2011, 02:26 AM
marky522
Drifting

Its the only factory replacement pump... And they know it, the only thing thats more than the weight of the pump is the price tag...

Meizere

Mark
Old 03-04-2011, 11:51 AM
xschop
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you come across a spare harness i would be more than happy to customize it for you, you have done ALOT for the 44 swap scene, you should be happy to know the ONLY true purchased swap parts on my car are from you!!! Thanks again!

Are you saying the Cayenne rotors will fit under 951 calipers....
I may take you up on the spare harness mod later....and Ugggh NO, the Cayenne 330mm rotor will not fit inder the 951 calipers without grinding the calp crossover arches to toothpicks
I finished the adapter bracket design for the Wilwood Superlites to bolt-up to the NA with the Cayenne rotors already. Just need time to pretty them on the CNC.
Make sure that you ground both heads and the LS1 block because the gasket material in not very conductive and you can get misfires...BTDT
Old 03-04-2011, 05:26 PM
acorad
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by marky522
Thanks Dan... you just ruined my night I keep trying to tell myself that the manual brakes will be fine... if that is the case, i could end up going a couple different ways.
fwiw, I was certain I'd want boosted brakes, but after a short time with the manual brakes I'm pretty much fine with them. Power brakes are now way down on my list of things to do.

Of course I've not tracked my car yet...
Old 03-04-2011, 11:05 PM
Dimi 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A fried of mine did his LS1 conversion years ago and is utilizing the brake system shown here

He has a decent conversion write up on Porschehybrids.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:27 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 323 Posts

I made 372rwhp with a mild cam, LS6 intake manifold and throttle body and shorty headers.

I'm running a hydroboosted brake setup from a Ford Mustang and a Turn 1 power steering pump. Works very well, but I can't see how you'd hide the lines...
Old 03-05-2011, 01:33 AM
CyCloNe!
Race Car

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

beautiful work, keep the pics coming!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My History And The Building of my "LS44"