Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

issue with bleeding the clutch

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 01:28 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default issue with bleeding the clutch

Hi,

I'm having an issue with my clutch and hoping to get some advice. I replaced all the fluids and wanted to flush/bleed the clutch. I have been trying to use a vacuum hand pump on the slave cylinder, as well as using the clutch pedal itself.

At first the pump sucked out brown nasty fluid, started to get a trickle of new fluid, then only air. Now it wont create a vacuum, and only sucks air. Pumping the clutch while opening/closing the bleed screw does nothing. I even removed the hardline from the slave to see if I could get any fluid to come out, but with no luck.

is it possible that my vacuum pump trashed my master cylinder? the clutch worked fine before replaced all the brake fluid and tried to bleed the system.

anything I can test before I try to rip out the master? it looks like an unfun job.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:09 PM
951mcomm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i understand that it is tough to bleed the clutch. The only advise i can give is to keep the back of the car higher than the front. just the angle and pitch of the bleeder.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:14 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

you need a pressure bleeder not a vac bleeder. Fill it with fluid, add pressure and open the bleeder screw- just did mine a couple days ago.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:53 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

got a pressure bleeder on order. I did manage to get the clutch bled. I cranked the rear end, kept topping off the reservoir, and did the old fashion 2 person method, except that it was just me, so I used a rope tied to the clutch pedal to bring it back up. Once the clutch started having some spring, I used an old car battery to apply pressure to the pedal while I crawled underneath. Was a pita, but ended up working well. Clutch and brakes feel great!
Old 11-13-2011, 11:56 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

nice- tried that with mine and it just wouldnt go- had to get out the pressure bleeder to finish.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:57 PM
Turbo17
Instructor

I made a pressure bleeder - a plastic peanut jar and two brass tubes through the top, one short for air and one long to pick up fluid from the bottom and send it to the reservoir (used shoegoo to seal the tubes). A piece of rubberized sheet roofing material was cut as a disc to fit the top of the brake/clutch reservoir, clamped with the original reservoir cap after the sensor was removed. The rubber disc had one short brass tube through it, connected to the peanut jar. Low pressure shop air into the peanut jar, pushed fluid into the reservoir.

I needed to jack the rear of the car. Don't forget to cycle the clutch pedal, as the master cylinder moves from one side to the other side of the entrance point for fluid.
Both sides need to be bled. It's a good time to bleed the brakes while it's all set up.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:11 PM
doabarrelroll
Pro

I used the Motiv Power Bleeder, but, then I had to finish it off by doing the pedal pump old fashioned way.

Quick Reply: issue with bleeding the clutch