Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

if you have a sloppy shifter, this could be why.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 01:53 AM
Cass944
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post if you have a sloppy shifter, this could be why.

for a long time my shifter has been so retarted. even IN GEAR i could move the shifter back and forth almost 3 inches. today it got so bad it was almost doing that thing were i could only use 4th and 5th gear again (previous post, horrible story). so while working on the brakes i got under there and was going to fix it for good. There is a bolt going into a block that the shift rod is connected too. it has two holes in it were you can adjust the linkage. I thought that was pr problem because that bolt was always loose.

well it turns outt hat bolt is supposed to be loose. i found that there is a small black 10mm bolt going into the front side of that block that makes sure it is secured to the rod that actually goes into the transmission. it was loose, i tightened it... and now my shifter is solid as a rock.

I posted this because im sure im not the only person this has or will happen too.

btw: i know alot of you ahve seen the boothe design non moving center caps. I just realised tonight how they make those work, and i made a set out of some old crappy caps i had. Im going to make some nice sets that are painted. i think i might try to sell a few sets. we'll see.
Old 08-16-2003, 11:44 PM
MTM
Pro

My shifter has LOTS of side-to-side play, so I decided to go under and check out this 10mm black bolt. All I could find is a bolt held out partially by a nut, and a threaded hole right next to it. Am I looking in the wrong place? Where is the little bolt that I'm supposed to tighten?

Here's a picture of what it looks like:
Old 08-17-2003, 12:03 AM
Randy_J
Three Wheelin'

That bolt you show in the photo next to the starter motor is NOT to be moved! It holds the shift fork rod in place, and you don't want to loosen that thing unless you are prepared to go into the bell housing and work on the clutch.

That being said, there are several bolts along the shift mechanism starting with the 2 bolts holding the shift lever to the torque tube. They are right below the shift boot, and accessed from inside the car, under that block of molded rubber insulation.

The shifter is connected to the shift rod with a "pin" that sometimes wears - this will contribute to a sloppy shift action.

Then it's all the way back to the transaxle where there is another single bolt that locks the shift rod to the transaxle shifter mechanism. That bolt is under a rubber boot and is wire locked in place.
Old 08-17-2003, 12:39 AM
Cass944
Drifting

no no, way off. the bolt your looking for is attached to the top of the transmission. theres a rod connected to the shifter. that rod goes straight back and connects to a metal block that is attached to the transmission. there is a 10mm bolt on the front side of that block that you should look for. just look for were the rod connects to the transmission and look for the bock with 2 holes in it (one of which will have a bolt going through it that the rod is attached by)
Old 08-17-2003, 02:27 AM
tod84944
Drifting

DON'T TOUCH THAT BOLT IN THE PICTURE!!!!!!!!
Old 08-17-2003, 03:08 AM
Cass944
Drifting

hehe yeah you dont want to take that out unless your changing your clutch. that bolt holds the clutch fork pin in place. the bolt your looking for is in the back of the car. not even close to the bell housing or starter of any of that so make sure you leave all of that alone. if my camera worked i would snap a picture just to make sure you were on the right track.
Old 08-17-2003, 03:23 AM
MTM
Pro

Okay, tomorrow I'll try again. The transmission is the oval tube that spits out smoke and oil, right? This is gonna be easy!

Actually I'll try the 2 bolts that I can get to from under the boot shift first, then I'll check the one above the gearbox. If thoser are all good, then I know it's the rod/pin coming out of the shift lever that's just worn out.

Trending Topics

Old 08-17-2003, 05:27 AM
mrmunky
Pro

Brett, howdy padnuh, I know what you done..

...I'z a widness, padnuh.

How about some pictures? I need to tighten up my shifter, and some photos would make the process much easier to understand. My dad and I are gonna make sunday a "work on the damn porsche" day if you wanna stop down.

get in touch!
ian
Old 08-17-2003, 11:31 AM
soundboy4
Racer

anyone wanna post a pic of the RIGHT bolt?
Old 08-17-2003, 12:06 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts

Here ya go. This is the stock linkage.. and most likely what you will see in your car. The bolt on the side of the tranny controls fore and aft movement, the one on the top controls side to side. I would highly reccomend that you locktite the bolt if it is loose. The bolt itself should screw into a small drilled out relief on the shaft.

EDIT 8/2006 - These may or may not be the original photos that went with this post... but they'll do.

Here's a few pics of the Autothority Short Shift Kit... and a clean tranny. This kit replaces the stock "shift block" and allows you to adjust fore, aft, and side throws. I love it. Just make sure you replace the grade 8.8 bolt they supply with grade 12.

I have pointed out the bolts discussed above. The one to the left is the wired locking bolt Randy mentioned. You want to be sure that baby is tight too.

Last edited by Perry 951; 08-22-2006 at 07:00 PM.
Old 08-17-2003, 12:48 PM
Cass944
Drifting

there you go, the bolt that the arrow to the right in the second picture is pointing to is the one that i tightened. My linkage looks like the one in the second picture. Is that not stock? I have never changed anything down there. and my linkage deffenitly doesnt look like the onein the first picture.
Old 08-17-2003, 12:54 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Brett -

If yours looks like mine, then you probably have a short shift kit in it. Is there a spherical ball joint attached to the block with an allen head bolt?
Old 08-17-2003, 01:17 PM
Mark-87-951
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the excellent pics.

Hmm - I have lots of side to side but pretty tight front to back. So i need to tighten up the top bolt in the first pic? At this time I am fairly certain I do not have a short shift kit because of the long throws. What have u removed in that pic for access?

Mark
Old 08-17-2003, 01:33 PM
DerSchlechtSpecht
Three Wheelin'

Well it looks like muffler, brakes, and wheel.

Christian
Old 08-17-2003, 01:40 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

You can access all the bolts marked above without taking anything off the car. Get the car securly on jack stands and you can get at it on your back.

Quick Reply: if you have a sloppy shifter, this could be why.