Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   924/931/944/951/968 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum-70/)
-   -   944 child seat? (https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/591253-944-child-seat.html)

black944 turbo 09-15-2010 08:54 PM

944 child seat?

For those of you with child seats in the back of your 944, I have two questions.

1. Can your wife sit in the front seat after it is in???

2. How do you secure the seat to the car??? I have an '86 turbo with the lap belt only. Do I need to buy a 3 point belt from a later car??? If I do, does anyone have one?

I have been toying with the idea of selling my well sorted Turbo and buying an M3 so that I can take the family out. But my DD is in the shop tonight so I took the child seat out and for kicks and grins tossed it in the back of the Turbo and low and behold it fits perfecty. I am so very happy as I did not realy want to sell this car.

eric951turbo 09-15-2010 09:07 PM

Question #1: Yes, the wife can sit in front seat, but she will always be complaning, be use to it
Question #2: I bought a seat that actually fits good in the car seat, I strap it with the small car belt, and behind the baby seat, I have a long belt that goes all the way to the end of the hatch. Under the carpet, you will see very solid metal loops (on each side), I just hook the belt to it. The baby seat is as solid as if it was attached to a new car. I did small hole in the hatch carpet to let the metal loop out.

I did a 5 hours drive home 2 months ago, and wanted to drive my P, but I negociated with my wife that my kid would be sitting behind me. The ride back wasnt that hard. Yes I almost had my face in the windshield, but I had fun : )

eric951turbo 09-15-2010 09:11 PM

I just went to take a look, and the brand name of my baby car seat is Sunshine Kids. I paid 200$ for it.
It also have belt behind it to carry you kid in airports and so on.
I have a picture of my kid in the seat of my old 924S
https://rennlist.com/forums/members/...41-6074-88.jpg

black944 turbo 09-15-2010 09:22 PM

Can you take some detailed photos of how you did this? I would love to be able to take my son for a ride this weekend. Also can you photo how the seat looks in comparison to the front seat.

racer 09-15-2010 09:28 PM

One issue is, is it a Front facing or Rear facing situation. In my experience, a rear facing would leave the front seat just about useless. A front facing can work, but really, all the kid gets to see is the back of the front seat and nothing else.

If you don't have airbags, then put the kid seat up front and make it just a father/kid trip. Leave mom at home since she will no doubt be uncomfortable anyway and your kid will enjoy it more! ;)

eric951turbo 09-15-2010 09:29 PM

I'll try this weekend. But funny thing, yesterday I've met a 944 owner, bought him is rear black seat. Mine where still cashmere, and I was happy to find a complete rear seat in good shape for 40$
He told me that the law (here in Quebec), is that if you dont have airbag, you can sit your kid in the front seat. That was new to me.

racer 09-15-2010 09:36 PM

* of course, check your local laws* but I haven't found a state in the US that says you can't put them up front.

The real issue is if there are airbags and no way to turn them off, then it doesn't seem so bright. Without airbags it doesn't matter. Many argue its "safer" in the back seat.. whatever...

CyCloNe! 09-16-2010 08:50 AM

I know in virginia you have to be 12 to even ride in the front seat...mainly due to airbags coming out at roughly 200mph, injuries, possible death, etc.... (don't seem to enforce this anyway)

But without airbags dunno....probably still not advised.

CyCloNe! 09-16-2010 08:52 AM

I wonder if you remove the rear seats if you would actually have more room back there... just a thought... still leave the belts and maybe the top seat part but remove the bottom lol

black944 turbo 09-16-2010 08:54 AM

Thanks for the responce. The seat is a Evenflow Symphony and is front facing. Obviously I don't have dual bags, however I would like it so we could use the car as a family.

eric951turbo 09-16-2010 09:11 AM

I'm sorry to say that your Evenflow Symphony will not fit. We have 2 babyseat and I tried fitting this one and it just didnt fit at the bottom seat. The bottom of mine, the sunshine kids, is completely flat and not as wide as the Evenflow. Because its also made to fit in a airplane seat. It is also for kids over 1 years old.
Maybe if you do take off the bottom seat and back seat it would work, leaving the the security belts.
I'm pretty sure it would. Just cover it up temporarily with a blanket or something. You dont have anything to lose, it takes about 25min. to remove.

Jay W 09-16-2010 11:14 AM

I have had a front facing seat in the passenger front of my non airbag 88 for over a year now. The kids have to wear sunglasses since so much sunlight comes in on their low seating position. Not like us tall people that can use the sunvisors, lots of sun down at seat level.

Some people say that front seats are more dangerous but that is where we all sit and the kids are belted tightly into another seat so I think they are safer than me. I have a strap going from the top of the seat to the loops in the rear cargo hatch as well. Seat is in there really snugly. I can get a picture if you would like to see how it fits.

M758 09-16-2010 11:56 AM

I have stuffed a Britax Marathon in the back of my Turbo S. It worked, but made front seat pretty useless.

kcoyle 09-16-2010 12:17 PM

Noobie here looking to buy a 944 na and also needs to have rear shoulder belts for kids. It's one of the reasons I'm selling my old plymouth. I had to add rear lap belts to that, but the kids are getting too big for baby seats and now use boosters so I want shoulder belts. ( I can't add 3pts belts to the rear of this car. It would be a mess.)
What year did shoulder belts become standard on 944's and are there any solid mounting points to weld tabs on to earlier models?

thanks!
kevin

Jay W 09-16-2010 12:40 PM

I have a Britax Marathon and that thing is huge even in my Explorer. I would have never thought it would fit in a back seat of a 944.

My 88 has rear shoulder belts and my 87 does not, so I am guessing rear shoulder belts started in 88.