Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: street combo; de-stroked LS7 388 c.i. vs LS3 376 c.i.; which would you run ?
LS3 376 c.i. (Crate Engine Depot); $7,300 (see top of page 4)...
60.00%
LS7 block w/ ls3 crank @ 388 c.i., LS3 heads/intake LS7 cam; $9,900.
40.00%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

LS1 swap/parts/LSD transmissions...

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 11:32 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Let's roll

Cassette box delete has rendered a nice armrest..... core is balsa.

I've got some cleaning and polishing to do on the CGT wheel...

over to Lart's place tomorrow to get some help installing the instruments....

better pics on the way....

/
Attached Images        

Last edited by odurandina; 11-15-2017 at 02:22 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:03 PM
James G.
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Talk to me about that speedo. Are you going to get in into the original cluster?
Old 11-16-2017, 01:20 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

Going to widen the cluster slightly...

Lart gave me a big head start today on getting my soon to be modified gauge cluster sorted.... Then i took his son on a launch through 1st and 2nd gear in the Sledgehammer which has been running at full power (since we swapped the connections of two vaccuun hoses that were incorrectly switched)...

Then the dad (Luis) took me for a launch in that blue 944T he obtained recently... Lighter car than mine by maybe 200~250 lbs...470hp ....that's the fastest car i've ever been in. That ride was terrifying...

Lart was spinning the wheels at 45mph when the afterburners kicked in. Whomever purchases it can have one hell of a 944T engine... and probably longivity if they don't beat on it. If i'm honest' they should just get the whole car and put their desired suspension on, because that car is incredible.

Last edited by odurandina; 11-16-2017 at 01:47 AM.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:02 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Best reason to go 911, 996, 997 etc....

They come with attractive, functional gauge clusters....

Our cars: absolute nightnare.

Replacing them with better stuff: a bridge too far....
Old 11-16-2017, 02:05 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Last edited by odurandina; 11-18-2017 at 04:21 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:34 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey OD. What did you use to carbon fibre the centre console shifter trim ? I tried FG resin but it lifted. I am guessing epoxy but specifics would be good
Old 11-18-2017, 04:04 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Cyberpunky
Hey OD. What did you use to carbon fibre the centre console shifter trim ? I tried FG resin but it lifted. I am guessing epoxy but specifics would be good
what brand of epoxy was Carbonman (Hern) using?
i'd just say use Resin Research as your base resin. Stuff is stable, bulletproof, and could care less about the uv rays.
Hern said he had some trouble getting the epoxy to stick and wished he'd simply started with a cardboard template....

fingers crossed but getting closer to getting the tach/speedo working.....
then, i'll have a bit of cosmetic touchup left to do with the 4 bezel rings and cf backing.

working with the cf on this tight board is a f_cking p.i.t.a...
the camera makes it look all effed up.... but it's just reflections messing with the lens
looking at it with your eyes, (it's fine).
Originally Posted by odurandina
Going to widen the cluster slightly....
I didn't end up widening the cluster..... just made the diameter of the cutouts wider by about 5/32"
getting these oversized gauges to fit into the panel was a p.i.t.a......

had to rip out 2 circuit boards behind the original speedo, and (that) speedo still has 2 more boards mounted on it (wtf).
but with a prayer, all the other gauges remained functional.

/

Last edited by odurandina; 11-18-2017 at 04:33 PM.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:24 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

update;
tach not working properly reading about 45~50% of the actual....
is it possible they sent me an 8 cylinder tach? I believe the LS sends a 4 cylinder signal.
GPS speedo and everything else is 100% ballz on.....

Old 11-23-2017, 04:38 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
$1-2k for an overhauled 944 trans (depends who does it), and $1k for the constantine torque tube...
not cheap, but still not THAT outlandish.
sometimes people pay more for something, just to make themselves feel better, not because they're getting any higher quality.
I can't easily express how amazing it is to have the perfect gear from 3rd to 6th running these tall ratios,
and the short stroke LS7 engine running @ full power.
back roads.... spirited driving on the twisties whatever the speeds...... highway driving.... Pacific Coast Highway.... and steep mountain grades!!
sublime!
once you experience it, there's no way having 944/T gearbox combo running the tall 5th will suffice......
just not enough performance there.....
to cap it off.... look at that final ratio (last pic)!!

/

Last edited by odurandina; 11-23-2017 at 05:07 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:41 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Dude, looks fantastic. .....but I was afraid we lost you in the fire.
Old 12-17-2017, 02:56 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

In the time after swapping to the high output pump, the problem of too much switched current, re; the ignition switching on the combined [computer + fuel pump circuit] eventually stressed the electrical box to the point of internal arcing and subsequent relay failure.... the result, (a common problem with early Chevy efi systems), produces a result quite similar to our DME relay issues.... I went about searching the internet and found where to check for a burnt relay... opened the computer hatch and found the suspect relay was clearly 'burnt'.... The events that brought this discovery proved yet again, that a good amateur mechanic like Doug Bray can keep this beast running indefinitely.... i didn't want to go near it, but Doug went straight to work......

By re-routing the fuel pump circuit and simply running a pigtail off the ignition wire into a new, dedicated relay box, and by changing the oem 14 (or 16) gauge wire to #10 wire, the high amps/high heat running on 1 circuit is now distributed to 2 low amps/low heat circuits.... Now my computer is running cool, and with plenty of juice.... With about 4 hous of work, Doug ascended to legend status... because not only do i have a perfectly running engine with just the single turn of the key, but this relatively easy upgrade can be done for the 944/968's running the oem engines.

Old 12-17-2017, 03:14 PM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That front bumper makes no sense and its ugly as well.
I grew up from that kind of stuff many years ago...just get the turbo RS spoiler and you're the king, with a v8.
Oh, and the carbon fiber work looks messy...no diss intended, its just my opinion.
Perhaps alcantara wrap would have been nicer and easier to implement in high quality.

Love the headlight conversion though.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:15 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Allan, the car is ****.....it was my pleasure. .
Old 12-18-2017, 10:29 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by morghen
That front bumper makes no sense and its ugly as well.
I grew up from that kind of stuff many years ago...just get the turbo RS spoiler and you're the king, with a v8.
Oh, and the carbon fiber work looks messy...no diss intended, its just my opinion.
Perhaps alcantara wrap would have been nicer and easier to implement in high quality.

Love the headlight conversion though.
Do you know any of the story behind that "bumper"? Picture it with the corner markers and fog/pencil lights installed. Think 993 for a minute if your mind isn't too closed off. Allan is a master sculptor and that "bumper" is a work of art that makes onlookers wild with envy.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:50 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

The camera can not capture the shape of the bumper.... Not even close. It's an odd thing. The carbon pieces were done by Hernan Montenegro in Los Angeles.... a reknown master bike builder. His work is amazing. Got a busted panel on your supercar? Hernan can either fix it or build a new one for a fraction of oem. The armrest/ cassette box/ ashtray delete weighs 5 ozs. Ask Lart about the quality. Certainly no more awkward than oem..The steering wheel is oem Porsche off a Carrera GT. Ugly? Wouldn't be the first time Porsche did that.....

We never give up because we're Americans.....

Quick Reply: LS1 swap/parts/LSD transmissions...