Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   924/931/944/951/968 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum-70/)
-   -   Power antenna location on S2? (https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/58314-power-antenna-location-on-s2.html)

John Garrison 10-14-2002 02:07 AM

Power antenna location on S2?

My car came factory with the antenna in the windshield but some along the lines my father had an antenna (non power) installed in the left rear panel above the wheel. I do recall him stating that the windshield one didn't work well. Had I known he was getting a new one installed I would have talked him out of it (or a least do some research and find out the best place to put it). Right now I don't think there is enough room for a power antenna at the current location. I have read that some came with a power antenna. Where is it installed at? Please tell me the rear quarter.

Unfortunately he (my father) has since passed away and now I have his car. I have spent some time contemplating on what to do with it (weighing the cost issue of owning a Porsche). I have decided that I am going to keep it. It's a great car and I want to get it back into shape. However, now there is a hole in the rear quarter panel where the antenna was. I took it out to get a replacement since there mast had broke. Now that it is out I am at a loss on what to do. I can take it to a body shop and have the hole fixed or install a power antenna (if one will fit). I need a new windshield anyway since mine is pitted. I could get the windshield without the antenna for like $50.00-$100.00 less.

Your advice & opinions are greatly appreciated. I have found that I have spent hours upon hours recently here at Rennlist reading past & present posts. To be honest, without this site I would have probably gave the car to my sister or something (oh wait, never mind she is only 17).

A few of my concerns for the car are I don't know what maintenance has been done to it. I have be unable to locate my father’s file he had for it. Since he was able to write the car off on his taxes I haven't a clue were to look for receipts. He always kept up on his maint. but I can't find anything. As for right now, I am getting it up to par since it has sat for the 3 years (almost).

Anyways, thanks for the world of information you people provide here. You can consider me a 100% believer & supporter of the "Rennlist Forums".

Thanks again.

John

Olli Snellman 10-14-2002 02:31 AM

There was not a power antenna available for S2.Only the windshield one.I use a 968 type roof antenna on my 951.It works great.

AndyK 10-14-2002 10:32 AM

Sorry about your dad...

I recently brought my car to a stereo place to see if a power antenna would fit in the rear quarter, just where your manual antenna is/was. Problem is, there is no room for the motor due to the wheel-well's depth.

So, I think the best thing you can do is replace your antenna with a modern non-retracting antenna, using the same hole in the rear fender. I figure if a new Vette can have an antenna screwed into a fender, so can a 944!

Luis de Prat 10-14-2002 11:52 AM

[quote]Originally posted by AndyK:
<strong>Problem is, there is no room for the motor due to the wheel-well's depth. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Could you elaborate on that? I believe the RoW early cars had power antennas fitted in the rear fenders. Probably not at the very end, but somewhere in the middle to accommodate the electric motor.

Having installed several of these in my 83, I can say that the motor isn't really that large so it may be possible to fit it in the rear fender. I assume the problem you describe involves fitting the mounting brackets somewhere inside the rear fender cubby hole.

Given that John already has a hole in the rear fender, it would be nice to use it for an antenna, since the window versions don't work as well anyway. However, I would check the options available for the "Fuba" types that Andy mentioned or look into a high quality power unit. I'm on my 3rd power unit and the last one is a real German made Hirschmann, but only because I called Hirschmann USA to complain about two bad units in a row which were also "Hirschmann" brand and it turns out they're made in Orient. The German ones cost over $200.

Having said that, it's very likely that the expected savings from the non-antenna windshield will be offset by the cost of a good antenna, so it may make sense to go original after all.

AndyK 10-14-2002 12:10 PM

I took my '88 to two shops, and got the same answer from both--no room in the rear fenders for a power antenna. I'm no expert, but supposedly they are.

Also, I think the older cars had a power antenna in the FRONT left fender. Could be there were manual antennas in the rear on some?

I would get a power antenna in a minute if it was doable...

muztangFB 10-14-2002 12:12 PM

I dont know how good of an idea this is, but just to throw another option into the mix...

They sell antenna's that you can leave inside the car, in the trunk, or anywhere else. I'm not sure how well they work, but I know they are popular with people who build old hot rods b/c it allows them to smooth out all the holes and still have a functioning stereo. I dont recall how much they are, but I am thinking ~50. If you did this, you could get the cheaper windshield, and have the hole repaired if you dont like the way an antenna back there looks.

judd944 10-14-2002 01:01 PM

the early cars have an antenna on the front driver side fender. not the rear. a motor back there is for the sunroof. check out some pics on ebay of the older 944's you will see what I mean.

Luis de Prat 10-14-2002 09:24 PM

I have an early car (83), but my point was that the RoW early cars had the antennas mounted in the rear fender.

I recently installed an OE Hirschmann German-made antenna in my 83 944, and the instructions booklet showed installation diagrams in the rear of just about every conceivable 80s sportscar but the 944.

I realize that the U.S. cars had the antenna mounted inside the driver's front fender, and I think that is largely the reason why the units haven't lasted longer. The fender mounted antenna is clobbered with dirt, moisture and road debris picked up by the front wheel as it rotates.

For this reason, I wrapped my new unit in duct tape, hoping to protect it somewhat from the elements. This is obviously not a problem with the rear mounted scenario. Back to John's original question, where exactly is the hole in the rear fender?

I was poking around the rear hatch cubbies today and am pretty certain the OE power antenna can be mounted behind the carpeting above either cubby, probably towards the middle of the fender. The motor is very flat and not that large. The mounting clamp at the base of the mast is made to fit at an angle and is extremely strong. I would have to pull back the carpeting to figure out where the mounting brackets could be bolted.

AndyK 10-14-2002 10:53 PM

Hey Luis-
I was told that you need room not only for the motor, but for the section of mast--almost a foot plus a motor. Wouldnt fit in the right side rear.

If you discover you CAN put an antenna there, let me know!
And take some photos!

Robert D 10-14-2002 11:05 PM

Just curious, has anybody tried installing a smaller antenna through the hole in the rear window (for the rear wiper)? Might look sort of funny having it stick out...but I thought it might be an interesting idea.
-Robert D.

Luis de Prat 10-15-2002 12:00 AM

Andy is correct in that a total depth of approximately 1 foot or 32 cm are needed beneath the base of the mast to fit the antenna shaft and drive unit. However, the early RoW cars had rear mounted Hirschmann antennas and I'm pretty certain they were not manual.

Moreover, the rear fender is quite deep and there's a chance it may fit where the fender slopes, since the extended antenna should be be 10 cm away from the side of the car. It's recommended for other cars with similar dimensions.

Per the instructions sheet:

Hirschmann AUTA 6000 KE 14 921 386-001 Made in Germany (Not to be confused with the crummy impostor HIT AUTA 2040 921 738-003 made in Orient)

"This antenna is appointed for rear mounting. In addition to the swivel head for 0...20º car body inclination 1, another antenna head for 34º car body inclination 2 is enclosed...You can install this antenna in every car illustrated on this sheet."

944 is not pictured because cars had windshield antennas at time of printing.

Cars pictured comparable to the 944:
Audi A4
Ford Probe (92+)
Mazda 323F (94)
Mazda MX6
Mazda RX7 (91)
Nissan 200SX (93,94)
Toyota Celica (90-94)

Personally I have mine on the front fender and like it better there, but for some reason the early RoW cars had them in the rear.

YMMV

Picture of early Aussie 944:
http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/A_Dow.jpg

John Garrison 10-15-2002 03:06 AM

Hi again.....,

Where would I get a new Hirschmann AUTA 6000 KE 14 921 386-001 Made in Germany?

Thanks in advance,

John

John Garrison 10-15-2002 03:09 AM

Forgot to mention....

Thanks for the fast replies. It is grgeatly appreciated. AndyK,...Thanks. :)

John

Luis de Prat 10-15-2002 08:15 AM

[quote]Originally posted by John Garrison:
<strong>Where would I get a new Hirschmann AUTA 6000 KE 14 921 386-001 Made in Germany?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm afraid this is a dealer-only item. The only reason why I got one was because after installing 2 "fake" Hirschmanns and seeing them go bad on my car in less than 2 months, I contacted the Hirschmann USA office and they admitted that the aftermarket units are not German made.

Mercedes Benz uses original Hirschmanns exclusively, so you may find a suitable unit for less money at your local MB dealer. However, expect to pay close to $200 for one, which is why I was saying that the windshield antenna might not be that expensive after all, considering you need a windshield anyway. The only advantage to the power unit is their great reception.

You Aussies correct me if I'm wrong, but the antenna in the red car pictured appears to be a power unit. However, the clearance issue Andy was told by the audio shop may have something to do with the sidemarker housings in the U.S. cars, which are nonexistent in the RoW versions.

AndyK 10-15-2002 09:32 AM

I think the guy that looked at my car also mentioned that because of clearance issues, they would have to put the antenna WAY back, and it would stick out and look dumb...I would love to see a photo of a car WITH a power unit on the rear right fender, to get an idea where it could be put! Hard to see on that red car.

Another point--would it be SO horrible to just install a non-power antenna? Less clearance issues, and cheap, with much better reception (the ultimate goal).

Also, what the hell is RoW???