Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power antenna location on S2?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2002, 10:20 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
RoW is the factory acronym for "Rest of World," meaning cars that are not for Germany or the U.S.

If you look closely, you can see the position of the antenna on the Aussie car. Owner Adrian Dow posted some close ups a while back, which is how I remembered the RoW cars had antennas in the rear. I think he had them on a website somewhere...

Having had both power and manual Hirschmann units in my own car, I don't recall the manual ones being that much longer. The sidemarker housing itself is pretty far back in the fender, so it's possible that the antenna would fit closer to the middle, which is behind the wheel arch.

I guess you do not like the idea of a front mounted antenna, huh? Since you'd have to drill holes in the sheet metal for either option on your '88.
Old 10-15-2002, 10:35 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't like the idea of SEEING a big antenna out the windshield! If it's in the back, it would be out of sight at least.

Rest of World...Ah...I see!!
Old 10-15-2002, 11:06 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Well, it's all a matter of personal preference, of course. OTOH I kind of like the "remote control model" look of that tall mast when the stereo is on.

When fitted in the rear , I think it breaks the smooth lines of flared fender more than in the front.

It's also fun to see it go up and down with the ignition and stays amazingly straight no matter how fast you go
Old 10-15-2002, 03:07 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

My Porsche mechanic said I should get a Fuba roof antenna. He said that because the Fuba's came on 968's, they would be considered an official Porsche part/upgrade, where a rear mounted after-market antenna would reduce the value of the car.

Being that I have a limited edition, I am wondering if I should drill a hole in my roof for an antenna?

I also heard the Fuba roof antenna's aren't that much better than the windshield version.

All I want is good radio reception...is that so wrong??
Old 10-15-2002, 08:02 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

The trouble with Fubas is that they don't retract and are quite easy to steal.

Personally, I would troubleshoot the window antenna in your '88 and get it working better. It sounds like you have a bad antenna booster unit. They are fitted behind the stereo and I've never had to service one, but I've heard of many people having problems with theirs.

The window antennas in both my cars work very well and have great reception. Maybe because they're cabriolets?
Old 10-15-2002, 10:34 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I guess the best thing would be to not get an external antenna. Problem is, I would love to buy a normal windshield w/o the expensive antenna. And, my amplifier is hooked up...the Taurus gets killer reception--944 doesn't.
Old 10-16-2002, 12:43 AM
John Garrison
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Went and got an estimate to get the hole fixed where the antenna was. $450.00 with no garantee of paint match. I wil ltry other place this week. Seems like a gamble. I would hate to get it done and have a lighter or darker shade there.

Still trying to determine what to do.

Thanks for the great advice. Although I wanted to here everyone say the same thing.

John
Old 10-16-2002, 10:27 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey John-

As long as you still have a hole, I would definately get a screw-base antenna mounted and be done! If you hate it, THEN check out repair options. Spending a fortune on a windshield with a wire antenna that sucks doesnt make much sense to me at this point!

Quick Reply: Power antenna location on S2?