Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

968 mods?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 04:35 PM
RDS928S
Banned

Received 709 Likes on 316 Posts
Default 968 mods?

Hello,

can anyone point me in the right direction for the best mods for 968 exhaust/ecu etc.?
Also what is the largest wheel size in width for these cars?
I may be buying one very soon for my daughter.
Thanks in advance.

Rich
Old 07-10-2010, 05:14 PM
krazykarl
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 43 Posts

RSBarn in Newtown, PA makes and sells quite a few performance modifications for the 968

www.rsbarn.com
Old 07-10-2010, 05:23 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

Best mod = turbo
Old 07-10-2010, 06:46 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Rich - none of my business but IMHO a 968 and even more so a modded 968 would not make a good car for a teen or college age girl.

Tall sills make it hard to get in and out with heels,
vertically challenged folks have problems seeing enough of the front end not to hit things parking,
AC isn't the best,
only certain folks will work on these cars,
rear seats are worthless for hauling around friends,
no side airbags - just front ones,
steering wheel isn't adjustable,
headlights aren't the brightest,
no cool current features like bluetooth or cabin tire pressure monitoring or OnStar or even keyless entry.

These older 944s and 968s really fit best with someone who is willing to overlook the stuff above and appreciate the performance aspect of the car. Actually the performance of a 968 is these days easily surpassed by a lot of modern cars as well.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:11 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

obviously, the car is going to be for you AND for her. nothing wrong with that, as the car will be properly attended to when she is not driving it....

as to when she IS driving, so long as she demonstrates maturity, learns to observe warning lights, sounds and what is going on with the car there's no reason to think it can't be a great car for her.

get the car 100 % mechanically sound, including a long list of support parts (start w/ the timng system/H2O pump, and cap, rotor, plugs and wires should be put on a schedule or simply done.... there's a great 968 page that i discovered recently, where you can learn a lot more about the car.

http://www.alltuner.com/968_specs.shtml

belt retensioning must be done IMMEDIATELY... better still, change the timing/bs belts, tensioner, rollers, (and you can go further by replacing seals, pads, cam chain, H20 pump).

many new owners forget about changing the transmission oil, coolant and brake fluid...

you can refresh the suspension rubber, (rebuld lca's, etc), and go to bigger brakes in the front.... the car will accommodate up to 9 inch wheels in the front and 11 inch wheels in the back.

however, 8.5" and 10" wheels are perfect for the street, as standard fare. tires (just a suggestion)... 235-40 up to 255-35-18s are good for the front... in the rear anywhere from 265,275-35, or 285-35-18s (shaved or used pilot sports w/ some treadwear will also work) all the way up to 295-30-18...

a 968 ClubSport steering wheel or 996 steering wheel and airbag is a wonderful addition to the car. (the stock wheel and airbag are hideous). .. The driver's side seats can often use new leather... Deutsch Nine makes a nice molded carpetfor rear seat delete...

you can add an aftermarket or 997 shift **** and install in minutes... upgrade to a modern alpine/usb stereo head, the door and behind-the-seat speakers should go next for larger, beefier transducers... and subwoofer cabs are available that fit in the rear quarters.

there are some nice lighting upgrades for the instruments (mine came out great)... and you can change to any variation of LED interior cabin lighting.

HID lighting for the driving lights/lowbeams can also be done.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:32 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

exhaust... @ 80 k miles your cat may be getting close to death.

get an aftermarket cat, dump the resonator, 2.5" pipes are just two 45 degree bends so an aftermarket exhaust is by no means, necessary, add a freeflowing muffler and nice 3" tip and you'll be good a 10 -15 more horsies.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:35 PM
nh7cy
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't forget the brainless guys that your daughter will let drive your/her car
Old 07-11-2010, 01:32 PM
phil0618
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi,

I've had my 968 for 4+ years now and love it.

A friend bought one for his daughter and she did not like it all that much and was much happier later when he bought her a recent vintage Mustang with wide hood stripes and big chrome wheels. Part of this was that her friends thought the Mustang cooler and there was a real back seat.

However, assuming that your daughter really wants one here are my suggestions. They aren't exactly what you asked, but I've found them valuable to make the car into a real daily driver.

First off - +1 on all the recommendations on making it mechanically sound. Unless you have receipts and know all the fluids were changed I'd start there - transmission, oil, brakes, PS etc. The timing belt is another area that is not to be messed with.

After that, here is where I wound up.

1. Sound deadening - Spray the chassis and the wheel wells with several coats of Quiet Car. Consider treating the doors and rear hatch area with Dynamat or equivalent. This makes the car much nicer as a daily driver. This also has great implications if your daughter likes to listen to music while driving.

2. Upgrade the stereo - I suspect your daughter will want to play tunes from the iPod which means a new head unit. However, there are numerous other things to be done for quality tunes. There are threads on here regarding audio upgrades and you can PM me if you'd like some input here. I kept several of the 10 speaker stereo speakers and then added a small sub, and 3 amps. It rocks - and I'm picky and have been down this car audio road before.

3. Stick with 17 inch wheels - You can go to 18's but in my opinion it's a bit rough. However, I've also got stiffer springs and shocks. 18's with the factory suspension might be fine. The car was just too rough for me with the 18's and the other after market bits.

4. Suspension - If you want to upgrade the suspension for daily driving I'm pretty happy with the Weltmeister springs, Koni Yellows and M030 factory sways. I had the Weltmeister sways, but I'm happier with the M030's. They fit better - no thunk/clunk over bumps - and are stiff enough for street play.

5. Ride height - If you put the lowering springs in the car I'd spring for the aftermarket pieces that restores ride height to its original height. It gets old getting in and out of these really low slung rides. I did this and although it's only 1.5 inches it makes a difference.

6. Exhaust - If it's a daily driver I'd stick with the factory exhaust. I know some prefer something louder and less restrictive and claim horse power gains etc. but these are not inherently quiet cars so I went from one of the performance exhausts to something much quieter and am happier for doing so.

Good luck with the purchase.

Phil

Last edited by phil0618; 07-25-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:24 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

rsbarn is not a site sponsor. And their parts are substandard. I speak from experience. For the chip, get a promax, and for the exhaust, don't waste your money on a kit, just go to an exhaust shop.

The best mod for the car is suspension. Check out www.paragon-products.com for kits or individual parts. It depends on your driving style and what you use the car for but I like the complete m030 suspension (koni yellow shocks, slightly stiffer springs, bigger sway bars, 17x7.5" and 17x9" wheels, and you don't necessarily need the big brakes).

Offset and space for 968 wheels is the same as for a 944 turbo. The widest I've seen is 10 in the front and 11 in the back, but it's very difficult. The widest you can fit with ease is 8 front and 10 rear.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:30 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 124 Posts

This is the first mention I've seen of the headlights on a 968 not being adequate. 944 stockers are a disappointment but the 968 lamps are much better. About as good as an H4 upgrade in a 944 I'd say (having done that twice.)

As for the suspension as long as the system is in good shape it's fine for spirited street driving.

Increasing wheel width can create some bad habits (tramlining for example) and too much tire in the rear can make an already understeering car much worse IMO. The stock wheel and tire sizes allow for cornering far in excess of straight-to-jail speeds with decent rubber and proper operation. I suppose if you are going bigger for cosmetics you will want to make a pretty sincere effort to sort out the resulting quirks with wheel offset and alignment corrections, but still the car may be more of a handful with wider fronts.

Around here we have serious road ruts from traffic and the use of studded snows in the winter, I would not want to turn a young driver loose with a badly tramlining car on our roads.

-Joel.

Last edited by Jfrahm; 07-11-2010 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:48 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

precisely Joel,

i run wider, 255-35-18s in the front and 275-35-18s in the back.

on all but the worst roads, i don't have any problems,

my car's natural understeer seems to have eased slightly, running the wider front tires.

thought i'd include a pic of the gear **** for Rich, the op...

/
Attached Images  

Last edited by odurandina; 07-11-2010 at 09:32 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:10 AM
968 GUY
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My daughter seems to like the 968. She found any excuse to borrow it, including wrecking her car(not her fault). Luckily the only cars she has driven were manual shift, plus, she is not much of a heels and skirt wearer.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:29 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
exhaust... @ 80 k miles your cat may be getting close to death.
My 968 with 240k miles still has the original cat, and it still passes california smog easily. Factory cats on Porsches rarely go bad.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:30 PM
mtl968
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any noticeable difference (power & sound) between cat-back aftermarket exhausts and a cat-delete or a high-flow cat system ? Like I was looking at the Rs Barn for the whole exhaust with headers its somewhere in the 2000$, is that worth it if you don't race your 968 ?

Quick Reply: 968 mods?