Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought 1986 951, need some help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2003, 11:18 AM
Kelly Chiu
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Just bought 1986 951, need some help.

Okay guys, I've lurked here a long time... I originally wanted a NA 944, but found a 1986 951 for 5500. All the belts and were done within 1000 miles, and the clutch has been replaced at 100,000 miles. Currently the car has 136,000 miles.

I need to find a glove box latch for the car... the part with the push button.

I also need to find a place that sells allot of those little black screws that are used to hold the interior together.

Also screws holding down the plastic part of the front spoiler... this is the part below the splash pan.

Also I need a flat-head screw that holds the air box housing together.

The air conditioning needs to be charged, is there a way to tell visually whether it was converted to R-134? I have all the receipts from the previous owners... I plan on making an access database of all the receipts one weekend, but if I can find out about the AC, I'll get that done soon too.

Finally, the carpeting is kinda dirty, where or what can I use to lift out the dirt? The previous owner committed the ultimate sin, he ate in the car.

If you guys know anything to help a new Porsche owner thank you in advance.

-Kelly
Old 04-06-2003, 01:35 PM
BartW
Racer

I don't have the answers to most of your questions but my wife just bought that "Steamshark" steam cleaner from Sears and that thing got out 10 year old grease stains out of the carpet. It is very time consuming to use it on the whole carpet but it works great on smaller spots like stains. It cost something like $100 and is very useful for cleaning around the house so I just decided to try it in the garage.
Old 04-06-2003, 04:59 PM
icat
Race Car

Crawl under the car and find the AC compressor - it will have a tag located on the unit which will ID the refrigerant required. That's the only way I know of to ID an existing unit. Congrats on the 951, sounds like a good buy.
Old 04-06-2003, 05:48 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Use this cleaner u can get at pep boys called TUFF STUFF and spray it on the carpet, wait a couple minutes, and wipe off with a rag. It works very well in most cases as I have been using it for quite a while. If you need screws, nuts, and bolts I have about five 5 gallon buckets of them just from 944 and 951s since I have taken apart about 20 of them in the past years. I should have the latch part for the glove box and there are 2 different types so you have to know which one to find (one you push in to open and one you twist). If you find the right screws and bolts from my pile, you can have them.
Old 04-06-2003, 06:33 PM
Brian McCoy
Addict
Rennlist Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Kelly Chiu:
<strong>I need to find a glove box latch for the car... the part with the push button.

I also need to find a place that sells allot of those little black screws that are used to hold the interior together.

Also screws holding down the plastic part of the front spoiler... this is the part below the splash pan.

Also I need a flat-head screw that holds the air box housing together.
</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">The screws are standard fair at my local Ace Hardware (I can probbaly tell you the exact screw information once I get home if you want). My Ace also sells the black interior fasteners, though I've seen them at Lowes and Home Depot too. Those seem to be the 3 places I always hit first when it comes to doing anything with the car... (or my motorcycles).

Hope this helps....
Old 04-06-2003, 11:21 PM
TacoBill
Intermediate

Congrats on your new purchase! I just bought a 86 944 Turbo myself last week (white, 155k, from Carlsbad). Funny, I live in SoCal and saw an ad in the internet for a 86 Turbo with 136k miles. Is it black? If it is, the only reason I didn't see/get that one is because after leaving 3 or 4 messages with him (and once he promised to call me back;finally did after 4 days!), I just passed on it.

This forum is a great source of info for our 951's. Good luck to you.
Old 04-06-2003, 11:49 PM
Kelly Chiu
Racer

Yeah TacoBill thats the one... I called him two weeks ago, he's a caltech student, he was on spring break. I live in Sierra Madre and the car was in Pasadena... when he called I knew I had to jump on it.

I was supposed to purchase a purple 89 with a salvage title from La Jolla, but the owner sold it the day I was supposed to drive down and take a look at it.

Anyways was your's the white one with the phone dials? I was looking at that one too, I really didn't want a black car, I wanted one in guards red... but a deal is a deal.

We should get together one time after we get the cars sorted.

-Kelly
Old 04-06-2003, 11:52 PM
Kelly Chiu
Racer

And for the other people who responded in the thread, thanks. I'll be hitting the big stores to find the fasteners. I'm not sure about the Airbox screws, they look pretty unique. Lego951, I'll PM you gearding the latch.

As the carpet cleaner... I tried some of the stuff with a brush... it seemed to eat the fibers away, maybe I'll look into a milder cleaner.

-Kelly
Old 04-08-2003, 06:06 PM
mrjosh43
Advanced

I think I saw that ad too, as well as the white one in Carlsbad. I called but wasn't called back until after I found my '86 951 in Burbank. Congrats on the good find(s). Any other new So. Cali 951 owners out there?
Old 04-08-2003, 07:50 PM
cas951
Rennlist Member

Take a look at the refigirant fittings on the compressor and or the fittings on the AC lines next to the coolant reservoir. R134's have bigger fittings than R-12's. Congrats on your purchase.
Old 04-08-2003, 08:40 PM
onewhippedpuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Kelly, regarding the carpet, here in Kansas I've recently been able to find a spray carpet cleaner called Spot Shot, and I haven't been able to find anything it won't clean. Be careful with your interior plastics though, it slightly faded a little of my F150's cheap stuff, but great on the carpet. Congrats on the car, I'm jealous. Good luck, Matt Jessup

Quick Reply: Just bought 1986 951, need some help.