Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto x Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2003, 10:21 AM
Conor
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Auto x Helmet

Just a quick question, I am looking to by a helmet for autocrossing, and I was wondering if there are specific helmets made for that, or if motorcycle helmets are pretty much the same. If they have the same rating, it shouldn't really matter, right?

TIA

Conor
Old 04-05-2003, 10:38 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

Nope, you cannot use Motorcycle helmets. They are rated differently. I am going to get a helmet to today for autoX and DE. They are two seperate helmet ratings. I really would like to know the difference. Any care to chime in?
Old 04-05-2003, 10:38 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

Nope, you cannot use Motorcycle helmets. They are rated differently. I am going to get a helmet to today for autoX and DE. They are two seperate helmet ratings. I really would like to know the difference. Anyone care to chime in?
Old 04-05-2003, 10:57 AM
nixwiz
Instructor

Here's some info from the <a href="http://www.smf.org/faqs.html" target="_blank">Snell FAQ</a> tht might help.
Old 04-05-2003, 11:00 AM
Conor
Burning Brakes

Thanks, it looks like as long as the helmet has an SA2000, or SA95 rating, it should be ok.
Old 04-05-2003, 11:02 AM
Riff
Rennlist Member

Conor,

Check with the group who you will running the AX's as some will allow motorcycle helmets for AX. I believe both the New England Region PCA and North Country Region PCA will allow any helmet rated will a Snell 95 (M or SA) for AX, but it is best to check. Also NER does have a limited # loaner helmets for use at the events. If you plan on attending Driver's Eds then you will need an SA rated helmet.

Hope to see you out there. I'll be in the silver S2, drop by and say hi.

As for the difference in ratings, I do not know. I do know there have been many heated discussions on helmets and ratings in Racing e-mail lists. Might want to check those archives.

HTH,
Old 04-05-2003, 11:06 AM
Conor
Burning Brakes

I planning on doing my first auto x next weekend, the scca one at devens. Do you have to be a pca member to do the pca autox's? I'm only 17, so I can't join until May.

BTW, thanks for the help, I think I understand the difference now
Old 04-05-2003, 11:14 AM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know plenty of people who autox w/ snell 2000 motorcycle helmets
Old 04-05-2003, 11:16 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G-Force helmets probably has the best prices for Snell SA2000; their Pro Force Hybrid, closed chin w/ no flip down visor is $199.99 @
<a href="http://www.discoveryparts.com" target="_blank">www.discoveryparts.com</a>

The full face with visor, Pro Force, is $249
Old 04-05-2003, 11:22 AM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Most autox events will allow the use of motorcycle helmets provided they carry the Snell "M" rating (as opposed to just DOT ratings). Most of the testing done when a helmet is submitted for Snell approval is the same for "M"(motorcycle) or "SA"(special automotive), IIRC there are 20 tests for either rating and 17 are the same. The biggest differences are that "SA" requires a fire proof lining and the last 2 impact tests are geared toward different types of impacts. "SA" impact tests are mostly concerned with a single impact against a roll bar, this is a very small impact area so the force of the impact is very high in a small area. An "M" rated helmet is tested in a manner more consistant with multiple lesser impacts and being ground along an abrasive surface.
If you car has a roll bar, an "SA" rated helmet is the wise choice, with a full interior a motorcycle helmet may be more appropriate (give or take a nomex lining).
There is also no reason to believe that a helmet that is rated "M" would not have passed the "SA" tests, due to the cost of testing vs. the available market share it may not have been submitted for "SA" testing. Very few "SA" helmets would meet DOT's testing for motorcycle use (due to eyeport size) so they are not usually tested for an "M" rating.
In theory, a manufacturer could make 2 helmet models with the same mold, the first could receive an "SA" rating while the second (with or without the nomex lining) could be "M" rated.
Old 04-05-2003, 12:14 PM
Riff
Rennlist Member

I don't think you need to be a memeber to run with PCA, just cost you more to run (~+$5?). The age thing might be your biggest problem. When in May do you turn 18? The first NCR PCA AX is scheduled for May 31 with NER running the next day on June 1 (Whoohoo 2 days of AX back to back!) though there will be a NER novice AX school at Devens on May 18th which should be fun.

I have not attended and SCCA AX out here in NE, but I understand that they draw quite a large crowd. The PCA events tend to be a bit smaller (especially the NCR events) which should mean more runs.

See you out there.
Old 04-05-2003, 12:18 PM
Conor
Burning Brakes

The 19th. I wanted to go to the school, but it says if you are under 18 you have to be a child of a member, I think. Oh well, at least I'll be able to do all the autox's, if they start the 31st. Thanks for the info!

Conor
Old 04-05-2003, 12:20 PM
Brian McCoy
Addict
Rennlist Member

I was told (when asking this exact question of my local PCA Autox contact) that MC helmets are designed for more along the lines of 1 rather tramatic impact (which is true) and SA helmets are designed to bump against things lightly without causing damage and still retaining function. I've seen the test results from Arai on a MC helmet that was dropped from about 3', empty, and the shell was toast...

Suchs that my closet now has 4 motorcycles helmets and 1 DE/AutoX helmet....
Old 04-05-2003, 12:35 PM
85944na
Racer

anyone use a Bell M2? I'm getting a helmet this summer to start auto-xing and that's the one I'm planning on.
Old 04-05-2003, 01:36 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts
Any more info as to why most driving events don't allow M helmets? What's the real justification for this? Is it based on actual test or just going by the SA rating and gives no consideration for the M rating?

Daniel

Quick Reply: Auto x Helmet