Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What makes a club sport a club sport?

Old 06-05-2013, 01:26 AM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your 6in ground to rocker measurement, is that to the flat vertical section or to the actual rocker itself?

Ii think I am about .5in lower than you. Did you select your ride hight based on horizontal control arms and axles? Mine angle up slightly.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:35 AM
ideola
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

6" measured from concrete to bottom of rocker, NOT the pinch weld (which is another .5" or so down).

Ride height was based on getting the front as low as possible using the spring setup I had on hand, and then matching the back with a very slight (.25") rake or bias toward the back.

I could drop the ride height further, but it would require purchasing shorter springs up front, and since I drive this car on the streets here in MI, going any lower would be a very serious threat to my undercarriage!
Old 06-05-2013, 12:35 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Sounds like out setups are very similar. I am about 5.5 to the rocker up front and 5.75 out back. Ride height was set by alignment shop. It was lower than I anticipated, but I haven't had any undercarriage issues.

I was also meaning to ask what you think of your mirror setup. I've always liked that look but with my fixed back seats I'm not sure i would want to back out of my garage (and around my bronco) without a passanger mirror. I've got the seats bolted in as low as possible (no rails) and the bolsters make it difficult to look behind. The rear view mirror doesn't show much either.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:15 PM
ideola
Former Vendor

The single mirror is a bit of a challenge especially with the fixed back seats. I am not happy with how mine are mounted. They have double locking sliders, and that combined with some other nuances of the brackets result in them being a bit higher than I would prefer. I think I have some other options for changing the mounting, but that's a different topic.

As for the mirror situation, I am planning to put one of those five panel rear view mirrors in, which from what I've been told help significantly, especially with no passenger side mirror. It really takes a lot of getting used to not having one!
Old 06-05-2013, 02:18 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

That is wat I figured. Mine will stay as is unless for some reason I need to replace the passanger door anyway.

I am extremely pleased with how my seat mounts turned out. I have the side mounts bolted directly to the floor using OEM mounting points. I took measurements several times and it turned out perfect. I don't have any adjustment, and the seats are a pain to bolt in, but my leg extension is perfect and I was able to get them lower than stock.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:58 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ideola
The single mirror is a bit of a challenge especially with the fixed back seats. I am not happy with how mine are mounted. They have double locking sliders, and that combined with some other nuances of the brackets result in them being a bit higher than I would prefer. I think I have some other options for changing the mounting, but that's a different topic.

As for the mirror situation, I am planning to put one of those five panel rear view mirrors in, which from what I've been told help significantly, especially with no passenger side mirror. It really takes a lot of getting used to not having one!
Dan - I'm not sure what kind of brackets you have, but if your seats feel too high, you may be able to tip them back a little so you're more reclined when driving. When I installed fixed back Recaros in my 924S, the shop that put them in had to add an extra 10% of rake to the seats (to a total recline of 25-30% I believe) so I could fit.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:57 PM
ideola
Former Vendor

Haven't updated this thread in a while...these went in a little while ago:

Finally got around to installing the Alcantara-covered dash (by Classic 9 Leathershop), brand new Momo steering wheel, and Claude's excellent center-speaker dual gauge pod:

And yes, I know, the carpet needs vacuumed. I live on a farm now, and you can't believe how difficult it is keeping straw and pebbles and dust out of the cars!
Old 02-21-2016, 10:02 PM
ideola
Former Vendor

Notes on weight:
I had the car corner-weighted when I set up the suspension, and it came in dead nuts on 2500# with about 1/2 tank of fuel. For comparison, the 937 GTS Club Sport weighed in at 1120kg @ 245BHP, so I have about 13kg / 30# to go to hit the 1120kg number. BHP? Who knows, but this car is definitely quicker than my stock 937 GT.

Here's the list of items removed to save weight:
  • No spare wheel, jack or tools
  • Replaced stock seats with lightweight single piece Sparcos
  • Rear seat delete
  • Carpet delete from the rear seat back
  • Headliner and trim delete, including rear quarter liners and sunroof liner
  • Car already had manual window regulators
  • Power mirror delete, with driver-side-only light-weight 1978 manual mirror
  • Lexan hatch
  • Fixed headlight conversion
  • 7Jx16 Club Sport rims (8.2kg/18# each). Car came with 6Jx15 spiderwebs, but couldn't retain those due to the Brembo calipers...plus I wanted the wider track and the forged rims. So definitely up a little on weight here as compared to Fuchs...
  • Alu A-arms and trailing arms (arguable if any weight savings here...)
  • Car had no A/C to start with
  • Radio delete, including head unit, all speakers, and antenna
  • Lightweight Odyssey battery
  • Gear reduction starter
  • Euro bumpers (car came that way, but definitely a weight savings compared to US-spec cars)
Added some weight with the charge cooler setup, plus the bolt-in roll bar (not a full cage), and the AFR and boost gauges. I did not remove any sound deadening material other than the large heavy mat in the hatch area.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:20 PM
ideola
Former Vendor

This was the car for which I developed my Top Mount Charge Cooler, the ONLY bolt in intercooler for the 931 that doesn't require sheet metal modification. These units were modeled after the 937 air-to-air units, and use 100% of the stock fittings and brackets. I had a spare 937 top mount intercooler that was used to build the jig. The TMCC is produced exclusively for Ideola's Garage by Bell Intercoolers. Here is a pic of the first unit produced:

Here's a sequence of pics showing the test fitting.

Detail of OEM 937 intercooler bracket mount:

Detail of throttle body fitment and mount points to throttle body brackets:

Initial fitment in engine bay before plumbing:

Completed install:

Closeup of Bell Intercooler serial plate:

Detail of charge cooler water pump mounted to a repurposed headlight lifting bracket (note the fixed headlamp conversion):

Placement of the charge cooler external radiator used for cooling the coolant that passes through the charge cooler. This is located under the LHS headlamp, directly opposite where the stock 931 oil cooler is located, to take advantage of the 931's vented chin valance. It's a bit smallish, but surprisingly effective:

A little hard to see, but this is detail showing the connections from the stock 931 turbocharger outlet to the charge cooler air inlet. It is simply two 45° silicone couplers with a 90° aluminum elbow in between. Pretty straightforward to connect.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:41 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

The car's looking great, nice job!

T.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What makes a club sport a club sport?