Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What makes a club sport a club sport?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 02:54 PM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ideola
Some new goodies to help with the club sport theme:

What seats are those?

And how wide are they between the lower bolsters if you dont mind...
Old 08-01-2011, 03:04 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those look very nice
Old 08-01-2011, 05:30 PM
JonH
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're really doing a great job with the details Dan, nice work. Although I have a similar parts list in my 924S you are really going to have a show quality car when done. I'm curious if you compared the weight of the 16" clubsports vs. 15" phones by chance.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:16 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

I've got a set of 15x6 dials and 16x7 clubsports but no scale. If needed, I could find one.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:13 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ideola
Sachs Sports strut housings (set up for 951 spindles).

BEFORE

AFTER

Here's the rest of the front suspension goodies before assembly:

And fully assembled:

951 early offset alu A-arms with poly bushings and late castor blocks, adjustable Koni strut inserts, Sachs Sport strut housings, camber plates are knock offs of the Ground Control units, Racer's Edge spring hats, and Eibach 400# springs.

Also cleaned up and painted the alu trailing arms, early offset setup from the 87 924S parts donor.

I need the alu A-arms in order to work with the 968 spindle+hub+Brembo setup as well as to mount the 968 M030 front sway bar posted earlier. I need to use the alu trailing arms so I can run the Koni adjustable rear coil overs. Have the shocks and spring perches, just need to get the 225# helper springs to complement the stock torsion bars, which I'm not replacing, at least not now.
Is the 931 speedometer driven off of the driver's side wheel? If so, how did you get the speedometer to work with the 951 spindles?

The project looks great by the way!
Old 08-01-2011, 11:05 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
I've got a set of 15x6 dials and 16x7 clubsports but no scale. If needed, I could find one.
I've got a fun link for you

http://www.944racing.de/wheelweights.php

15.6lbs for the 15x6 phone dials
18lbs for the 16x7 Club sports
Old 08-01-2011, 11:14 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Originally Posted by Arominus
I've got a fun link for you

http://www.944racing.de/wheelweights.php

15.6lbs for the 15x6 phone dials
18lbs for the 16x7 Club sports
Thanks!

i am not surprised by either of these weights (15x6 dials are light) but i am shocked that my 17in caymans are lighter than the clubsports. they did not feel that way at all.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:50 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

on the '68 forum... hte 968 CS might be the most over-rated P-car ever.

whether it's the lighter 944 or heavier 968, i think a lot of us are driving cars that are (after a few mods), essentially very similar to the club sport concept... while i like the cars, there's no reason to get so carried away about them. take the stock vs M030.

i like our non-M030 cars. unless you live in the sunbelt, the ride is about as good as you can hope for as a compromise between what is possible, and downright uncomfortable... i don't like our seats so much. and i like the Club Sport seats even less. take out the aspect of weight advantage. ok, great. but, when combined with the rough, M030 ride, or long hauls, no way to tilt the seat, and they'll lose their appeal in a very short time... worse still, add the New York pavement. not just the Cross Bronx... but do put on some better wheels/tires, install a kickass stereo, lose the silly CS logos and get to tidying up a few more things and i think you'd have an even better car. finally, let's not get too carried away. there's nothing all sooo amazing about that big engine. you can coax about 250 hp out of it with a big to do. loud, mean, and obnoxious.... want more power? as i was told 3 years ago by Porsche guru Jerry Peligrino, supercharging won't work, and damn if he didn't turn out to be right. then what? for the money that it costs to install a turbocharger, you could have a.... or a maybe even a clean 996TT. club sport? i never thought i'd say it, but tell me it wouldn't be a blast to have a shot of nitrous every now and again..... like yesterday afternoon on 395 north through ct on my way to mass when this effin' douchebag...... woulda been way cool in that situation.

****. must have been thinking out loud.

sorry.

/

Last edited by odurandina; 08-02-2011 at 04:13 AM.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:03 AM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Originally Posted by odurandina
i for the money that it costs to install a turbocharger, you could have a V8. or a maybe even a clean 996TT
you cant buy a good set of wheels for a 996TT for the price you can buy a running 931.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:25 AM
Arominus
Race Car

Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
Thanks!

i am not surprised by either of these weights (15x6 dials are light) but i am shocked that my 17in caymans are lighter than the clubsports. they did not feel that way at all.
God i want your wheels, in the 6.5 width even. The cayman rims are dead sexy, and i'm scared to find out what it would cost me to get a set. I'm living on some d90's for now, and i suppose ill survive

Don't forget to take into account the weight of the tires on them... or did you compare them bare?
Old 08-02-2011, 12:46 AM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Originally Posted by Arominus
God i want your wheels, in the 6.5 width even. The cayman rims are dead sexy, and i'm scared to find out what it would cost me to get a set. I'm living on some d90's for now, and i suppose ill survive

Don't forget to take into account the weight of the tires on them... or did you compare them bare?
the 6.5s wouldnt fill your wheel wells enough but thank you. how is wide body life treating you anyway?

i compared them bare but its been a while. the clubsports should still be better track wheels. i can run a shorter and wider tire on them. they also fit without my 7mm spacers.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:45 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

if i ever installed a turbo in my car i'd be too terrified to actually drive it for fear of the effin' thing blowing up. and if not that, any idea what a Porsche 4 cylinder T car costs to fix? i used to be a loud non-fan of the idea of nitrous. now i realize it's about the only way to bring a 968 to life without spending tens of thousands of dollars and getting divorced.

i'm only half joking on this thread. i think.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:54 AM
bad_monkey
Racer

Originally Posted by odurandina
if i ever installed a turbo in my car i'd be too terrified to actually drive it for fear of the effin' thing blowing up.... etc etc

[Fell asleep]

i'm only half joking on this thread. i think.
Meh.

Great thread, can't wait to see what's next.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:57 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I love this project. I have always wanted to do a car in satin black, and love your idea of making it a CS. Cant wait to see the car with the satin black wheels. Going to look great I think

peace
Cyberpunky
Old 08-02-2011, 12:53 PM
ideola
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dougs951
What seats are those?

And how wide are they between the lower bolsters if you dont mind...
Doug, I believe they are Sparcos, although I don't recall what model, and I could not find a tag or imprint anywhere on the seat. It's possible that they are labeled but somewhere under the covering, and now that they're installed, I didn't want to remove them. I got them for an incredible price...they were basically brand new but had been sitting in storage for a few years. They might be "expired" but I don't care because I won't be racing competitively in this car.

In terms of the width, the sides of the bolsters are about 15" apart at the top; the narrowest part at the rear bottom of the seating area is about 13" apart, and the widest part at the front bottom of the seating area is about 14" apart. HTH.

Quick Reply: What makes a club sport a club sport?