Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rubber clutch isolator on an 86 worn out?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 01:42 PM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rubber clutch isolator on an 86 worn out?

I have had my 86 944 for only bit more than a month, and it has been sitting mostly waiting for spring.
PO asked me to have the clutch checked out, as he had heard that when the rubber "bushing, isolator" wore out/broke, that there was a safety pin made of steel to allow a "limp home" level of protection.

The clutch seems to work ok, smooth, grabs ok, holds plenty of throttle in low gears. (ie it doesn't slip)

BUT.
Sometimes if I let out the clutch pedal less than smoothly (quick sharp movements of the pedal), I can hear a little "clak" as the clutch engages. I can easily drive it without hearing it, but I can also let out the clutch to make it happen. I have only noticed it when traveling very slow, like when backing up, or pulling away from a stop.

I can also hear it when slowing down in gear, when I am almost at a stop sign.

I have driven the car very little, and when I have, I have been very gentle (except when I first test drove the car and it wasn't mine yet)

As I have nothing to really to compare it to, I am unsure what it should sound like/feel like.
I will take it in, but I don't want to bring it to a shop and just casually say I need a clutch, and get a whopping bill for something that may be ok.

Any troubleshooting tips?
Thanks,
Scott.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:51 PM
931guru
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 269 Posts

Yep, that sounds like the rubber center has given up the ghost.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:22 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the clutch is original, you're on borrowed time no matter how you look at it. 24 years is a pretty good run!

When my rubber center died, it also had a lot of drivetrain lash. With the car in 1st gear and the clutch full out, if you go gas-on and gas-off, is there a fairly violent bumping? That was my main symptom. I actually ran a full track day with the rubber puck dead or dying. It just became very hard to do a smooth shift.

I think these pucks die in varying ways, so the symptoms are not always the same.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:57 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's simple to check for a failed clutch. On the front side, passenger side, of the rear bellhousing (where the torque tube comes into the tranaxle, just ahead of the rear axles, there is a large rubber plug in an access hole. Pop that out. Now you reach in there, with the tran in neutral, and grab ahold of the driveshaft coupler. (you can't miss it) if you can turn the driveshaft more than a very slight amount, your clutch is toast. Don't drive it long with a bad clutch, it is hard on the transaxle.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:48 PM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE

Hello ZR8ED, Check out Clark's garage. com at the link below. Click on "C" for clutch and read it all. This will tell you what you are facing. If you have a shop do it look for around $1400 up to have them change it for you. I hope this helps you out.

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-ma...ure-index3.htm

Cheers,
Larry
Old 03-12-2010, 11:44 AM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Thanks!
I checked the write up at clark's garage.

Looks like a big job to do on my own. (time wise) A bit too much for my first project with the car.

I have a bad habit of "while I'm at it" syndrome, and I have learned that it takes three times as long and three times as much $$$ as you thought.

Scott.

Quick Reply: Rubber clutch isolator on an 86 worn out?