Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to turn $50k into $15k - My 951 restoration *UPDATED WITH PHOTOS 01/18/11*

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 01:56 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I just want to mention the 430 looks...yeah...
Old 03-02-2010, 03:18 PM
944CS
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LiveFromNY
As a car guy (although not a 944 guy - yet), I'm going to respectfully disagree with that on a whole bunch of levels.

Aftermarket parts are superior in many ways (performance, safety, reliability) for many older cars.

Batteries, lighting, electronics, electrical, ignition, suspension parts, interior components, wheels, tires, glass, engine components and, yes, even brakes can be superior in the aftermarket (even for street) depending on what you're building.

I've done several old Mustangs and, trust me, unless you're building a strictly oem car - nearly every part of the damn thing is better aftermarket than oem.

Maybe this isn't true for the 944's but it is very true for many, if not the majority, of cars being restored these days.
When it comes to domestic vehicles, in many cases the differences in Genuine parts vs. OEM are either non existent or the parts are so similar that cost dictates the purchase. This is not the case with Japanese or German vehicles.

One area I would not go Genuine Porsche is the brake pads. They don't have a good initial bite to them. I would go with EBC redstuff pads.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:39 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LiveFromNY
What about performance? There are certainly hp gains available with newer exhaust systems. There are also subjective improvements like sound. By what standard do you consider the oem exhaust to be the best. Reliability? Fit?
All the above and performance. I am not so sure about HP gains, many people find the aftermarket to be poor quality, performance, and sound with a detriment to hp. There are some super expensive stuff out there and I'm not sure anyone has quality hp(dyno) results proving their worth beyond the manufacturers hype. Lots of opinion on this and I would encourage a LOT of research. Stock is hard to beat in many cases.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:50 PM
paralleltangent
Instructor

Wow... this should be cool when it's done. I want to see it, I'm just up the road in Round Rock. Let me know if I can help with anything.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:02 PM
944CS
Drifting

Originally Posted by whalebird
All the above and performance. I am not so sure about HP gains, many people find the aftermarket to be poor quality, performance, and sound with a detriment to hp. There are some super expensive stuff out there and I'm not sure anyone has quality hp(dyno) results proving their worth beyond the manufacturers hype. Lots of opinion on this and I would encourage a LOT of research. Stock is hard to beat in many cases.
It depends on what your goals with the car are. The stock system is great if you are keeping emissions in mind (which Porsche was, with ceramic exhaust liners in the head, double walled pipe to the catalyst). And the rear muffler is a straight through, free flow muffler. However the material grade of stainless in certain parts of the exhaust system is not as good as aftermarket (rear exhaust tip for instance) and there is no denying a B&B muffler sounds better than stock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q43jKnEoRlI
Old 03-02-2010, 05:26 PM
LiveFromNY
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

All the above and performance.
I'm going to call you on that one. Developing horsepower is a prettty straightforward process and the lower retsriction of high-performance, aftermarket exhaust systems is a pretty reliable way to increase hp.

I've personally been involveed with several dynos (including Porsches) and I have never seen a high-quality, performance exhaust system fail to increase hp. In fact, I cannot think of a single car I have ever owned that couldn't benefit from at least some exhaust mods . Now sound quality and emissions are different factors, but straight performance/hp upgrades are not that hard to get.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:44 PM
whalebird
Race Car

the later model 944 cars have about as good an exhaust as you can get. 944CS nailed it, the most gains come from the removal of the cat. After that it's all compramise. B&B are arguably one of the lowest quality pieces you can find. You can always change the sound, and look if thats what you want, and as 944CS said, it all depends on your objective.
The 944/951 is the one car that has a pretty good exhaust system from the factory, other Porsche models are not as well laid out as the 944/51 and gains can be had.
Conventional wisdom would have you think that a 944/51 would respond as well to a quality exhaust as any other car, but it's not so. The marketing hype is not true(seldom is for Porsche cars). Some of the stuff out there is very pretty(GHL headers are gorgous) and may sound different, but the performance and fitment of the stock is hard to beat. The quality of the stainless is not the best(as 944CS states) but it sure does work well. I would definitly look into this further if you are changing from stock - you mentioned Fabspeed which is OK stuff, but there aren't a hole heck of a lot of options and the reason is that the stock set up is hard to beat.
It took me a while to believe it too.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:28 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Sorry but the stock exhaust is not up to standard compared to a custom product. Not sure if you've cut into the part just about where the downpipe straightens out but it shrinks down to a very small (by comparison) aperture. Plus the double wall thing weighs a ton. Why do you think people are putting 3", 4", and even 5" exhausts on their modified cars? It's not all about childish bragging rights. More flow = better.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:07 AM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spending 50k on a car that might be worth 15... "Shrewd"
Old 03-03-2010, 09:17 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Bigger pipes do not = better flow or power. a slight restriction increases velocity. The factory used the stock exhaust on their 944 cup cars that were making over 300hp with only the cat removed. If there is a volumetric increase in displacement, I could see the merit in larger tubing. Turbo charging behaves altogether differently than a NA as far as airflow in and out of the motor also. The 944/51 is the one car where exhaust was not a compramise in production like most every other car made. I think 944CS really put it well in his post. Materials and sound can be improved upon, but the factory achieved optimum performance.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:32 PM
LiveFromNY
Pro

Bigger pipes do not = better flow or power. a slight restriction increases velocity. The factory used the stock exhaust on their 944 cup cars that were making over 300hp with only the cat removed. If there is a volumetric increase in displacement, I could see the merit in larger tubing. Turbo charging behaves altogether differently than a NA as far as airflow in and out of the motor also. The 944/51 is the one car where exhaust was not a compramise in production like most every other car made. I think 944CS really put it well in his post. Materials and sound can be improved upon, but the factory achieved optimum performance.
The fact that Porsche used the factory exhaust on their cup cars is irrrelevant. That was 20+ years ago and that may have been a state-of-the-art design at the time. Who knows what they would have used if they would have had access to today's advances in materials, design and technology.

Statements like "the 944/51 is the one car where exhaust was not a compramise in production like most every other car made" and "the factory achieved optimum performance" and "the stock exhaust on these cars is as good as it gets and cannot be improved on" are just unrealistic. Porsche made LOTS of compromises on these cars. These were good cars when they were in production. But they were by no measure the best performing cars available. Hell, they weren't even the best Porsches available.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think the oem exhaust is bad. It may even be better than most. But I wouldn't wager a dime on the statement that "the stock exhaust on these cars is as good as it gets and cannot be improved on".

That just makes zero sense in my opinion (but I appreciate hearing your thoughts, even if I disagree).
Old 03-03-2010, 01:35 PM
LiveFromNY
Pro

Originally Posted by F18Rep
Spending 50k on a car that might be worth 15... "Shrewd"
Yes. I have a gift. Let me know if you'd like me to review your investment portfolio.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:37 PM
LiveFromNY
Pro

Originally Posted by paralleltangent
Wow... this should be cool when it's done. I want to see it, I'm just up the road in Round Rock. Let me know if I can help with anything.
I'm all over that. Would love to get more input. Shoot me a pm if you want to get together and look at the car.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:52 PM
whalebird
Race Car

No problem. I worked with the factory on the 944 cup cars(crew) and had long discussions about it with various engineers well into the 90s on other factory backed race cars as well(911/930, etc). Although no advancements have been made in exhaust technology since the 1920s I suspect there are quality pieces available for your objectives and I think what you are doing to the car is outstanding. If it were mine, I would do the GHL headers (if you can find them) and the fabspeed on back with custom stuff in between around the turbo.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:12 PM
LiveFromNY
Pro

No problem. I worked with the factory on the 944 cup cars(crew) and had long discussions about it with various engineers well into the 90s on other factory backed race cars as well(911/930, etc). Although no advancements have been made in exhaust technology since the 1920s I suspect there are quality pieces available for your objectives and I think what you are doing to the car is outstanding. If it were mine, I would do the GHL headers (if you can find them) and the fabspeed on back with custom stuff in between around the turbo.
I really do appreciate your advice and your experience. If you don't mind, I may shoot you a pm when I'm making some exhaust decisions.

Quick Reply: How to turn $50k into $15k - My 951 restoration *UPDATED WITH PHOTOS 01/18/11*