Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to turn $50k into $15k - My 951 restoration *UPDATED WITH PHOTOS 01/18/11*

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 07:23 PM
sTyleR
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up Hello, from a fellow fchatter.

It sure looks like a beautiful car to begin with. But I'm curious. Are you the original owner, or did you just recently pick up this nice example? Regardless, I can't wait to see the end result. Good luck.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:27 PM
LiveFromNY
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sTyleR
It sure looks like a beautiful car to begin with. But I'm curious. Are you the original owner, or did you just recently pick up this nice example? Regardless, I can't wait to see the end result. Good luck.
Just picked it up. It's a 41k, one-owner, Texas car. Pretty unreal how original it is. I found some treasure in the rear wheel wells the other day. I'll post photos later.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:24 PM
944CS
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A Ferrari owner who likes to get his hands dirty....nice! My advice to you is:

1)Jet Hot 2000 coat the header, crossover, turbine housing, and downpipe - all those new parts you spend all that money on will stay newer longer. Plus you'll notice the car won't run as hot which is good for a number of things - oil life, turbocharger bearing life, and the car will just run a little stronger.

2)Forget the Fabspeed, get a B&B. Sounds MUCH better.

3)Upgrade the steering wheel to a 968CS steering wheel. Transforms the look of the interior and feels better in your hands.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:51 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's great to see someone wanting to do this! I can't wait to follow this thread, keep the pics coming!
Old 03-02-2010, 12:15 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Why would you want aftermarket brake rotors?

For my turbo S, Porsche rotors from Suncoast are cheaper than Zimmerman from Paragon or Pelican...
Old 03-02-2010, 01:01 AM
LiveFromNY
Pro

Originally Posted by Van
Why would you want aftermarket brake rotors?

For my turbo S, Porsche rotors from Suncoast are cheaper than Zimmerman from Paragon or Pelican...
Well, I don't know. I just assumed.

When I've done older cars in the past, there has usually been an advantage to using newer brake components vs oem. My assumption was that there would be better rotors and pads available for this car in 2010 compared to what Porsche installed in 1986. Feel free to enlighten me. Is the oem stuff just as good?

I'm certainly open to suggestions over the next few months...
Old 03-02-2010, 01:28 AM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The OEM brake rotors are good, a lot of guys prefer them.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:14 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LiveFromNY
Well, I don't know. I just assumed.

When I've done older cars in the past, there has usually been an advantage to using newer brake components vs oem. My assumption was that there would be better rotors and pads available for this car in 2010 compared to what Porsche installed in 1986. Feel free to enlighten me. Is the oem stuff just as good?

I'm certainly open to suggestions over the next few months...
Not many aftermarket items are better than OE for a street car. People keep falling back on original parts all the time.

Even the quality in parts from the same manufacturer (OEM) such as the stock Zimmermann rotors were made differently than aftermarket OEM Zimmermanns.

Stock is expensive, but is usually best for the job.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:57 AM
LiveFromNY
Pro

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
Not many aftermarket items are better than OE for a street car.
As a car guy (although not a 944 guy - yet), I'm going to respectfully disagree with that on a whole bunch of levels.

Aftermarket parts are superior in many ways (performance, safety, reliability) for many older cars.

Batteries, lighting, electronics, electrical, ignition, suspension parts, interior components, wheels, tires, glass, engine components and, yes, even brakes can be superior in the aftermarket (even for street) depending on what you're building.

I've worked on seversl old Mustangs and, trust me, unless you're building a strictly oem car - nearly every part of the damn thing is better aftermarket than oem.

Maybe this isn't true for the 944's but it is very true for many, if not the majority, of cars being restored these days.

Last edited by LiveFromNY; 03-31-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:18 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

I race my car - and I've had better performance from the Porsche branded rotors vs. the Zimmerman branded rotors. I have not tried other aftermarket rotors, however...

Now, for pads, that's a different story. But, for a street car, the OE pads will be fine.

Same with suspension components (bushings, control arm, shocks, etc.) stock is find for a street car, but aftermarket offers a performance advantage on the track. Rarely, however, does aftermarket offer a quality advantage.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:40 AM
sweetskillsrk
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Dang, thats quite a garage you got. A 944 Turbo is a nice edition to it though. I have a N/A in the same color, but man that Turbo looks great, and only 41k miles. I'm really lookin forward to this project, keep the pictures coming. Good luck.
Landen
Old 03-02-2010, 01:18 PM
LiveFromNY
Pro

Originally Posted by Van
Same with suspension components (bushings, control arm, shocks, etc.) stock is find for a street car, but aftermarket offers a performance advantage on the track. Rarely, however, does aftermarket offer a quality advantage.
Seems like it really depends on the car. I guess I'm learning that some of the oem 944 stuff is good enough. and technologically advanced enough, that newer parts aren't necessarily an advantage in many cases. That's good for me as I plan on using mostly oem parts.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:32 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The factory did a good job on most of the components. The aftermarket has responded with low cost replacements at a compramise. brake rotors and belts/filters are an example. The stock exhaust on these cars is as good as it gets and cannot be improved on.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:38 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice Ferrari sitting next to the Porsche.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:49 PM
LiveFromNY
Pro

Originally Posted by whalebird
The stock exhaust on these cars is as good as it gets and cannot be improved on.
What about performance? There are certainly hp gains available with newer exhaust systems. There are also subjective improvements like sound. By what standard do you consider the oem exhaust to be the best. Reliability? Fit?

Quick Reply: How to turn $50k into $15k - My 951 restoration *UPDATED WITH PHOTOS 01/18/11*