Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Delrin bushings for the spring plate

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 01:14 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts
Lightbulb Delrin bushings for the spring plate

I've been thinking about putting delrin bushings in the rear swing plate on my '83. Everybody talks about the positives, but what about the negatives?

Will the ride be harsher? Will the car be noisier inside? Will they squeak? Will they last long?
Old 02-18-2010, 02:34 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did it. No noise no harshness. It did require a little bit of sanding in order to fit inside the torsion tube. Once you remove the rubber bushing, and completely clean both surfaces, the delrin will slip over the spring plate, but it may not fit inside the torsion tube cleanly. I had to sand them down. You want snug, but not so snug that the spring plate cannot rotate freely (with some friction).
Old 02-18-2010, 02:57 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
I did it. No noise no harshness. It did require a little bit of sanding in order to fit inside the torsion tube. Once you remove the rubber bushing, and completely clean both surfaces, the delrin will slip over the spring plate, but it may not fit inside the torsion tube cleanly. I had to sand them down. You want snug, but not so snug that the spring plate cannot rotate freely (with some friction).
+1. It was a pain in the butt to do. Getting the old rubber off and getting things cleaned took me at least 2 hrs of hard work. There there's the sanding of the delrin, fitting, removing, more sanding, fitting, removing, more sanding - well you get the idea.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:35 PM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

getting the rubber off is super easy for me now heh. takes literallly 5 minutes.

get a MAPP gas torch from home depot. fire it up and heat the inside of the spring tube till the rubber starts to smoke, takes about a minute continuous. run a xacto blade along the circumference of the bushing where it touches the flat spring plate. drive long big flat screwdriver down length of the rubber bushing, pry up and out. bushing will either come off as a donut or split in two. any residual, just use the torch and burn it till it's warm and squishy and wire brush it off. finish with soft wire wheel on drill. sparkling clean
Old 02-18-2010, 04:03 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by krystar
getting the rubber off is super easy for me now heh. takes literallly 5 minutes.

get a MAPP gas torch from home depot. fire it up and heat the inside of the spring tube till the rubber starts to smoke, takes about a minute continuous. run a xacto blade along the circumference of the bushing where it touches the flat spring plate. drive long big flat screwdriver down length of the rubber bushing, pry up and out. bushing will either come off as a donut or split in two. any residual, just use the torch and burn it till it's warm and squishy and wire brush it off. finish with soft wire wheel on drill. sparkling clean
That's probably better than the way I did it -- and less smokey.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:07 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
That's probably better than the way I did it -- and less smokey.

I'm guessing thats well done?
Old 02-18-2010, 05:55 PM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

should be overdone

did u actually grill some steaks afterwards? hehe
Old 02-18-2010, 06:46 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Mmmmmm. Smoked spring plate bushings.

I'm really trying to talk myself into not doing this but my bushings are shot
Old 02-18-2010, 10:36 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's all in the prep work. Use a brake hone to smooth out the recesses that the bushings set into. That way you're putting a perfectly round bushing into a perfectly round hole, less chance of binding. The bushings might need to be pressed onto the spring plates, no big deal any repair shop can do it if you don't have a press (make sure they put them on the right way!) As Greg said they should be real snug, barely able to move them by hand. Any play and you're defeating the purpose. I've had mine in for 5-6 years of track duty now, no binding or squeaking.

In this pic the end cap on the right is honed, the one on the left is not:
Attached Images  
Old 02-19-2010, 02:31 AM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The job took me forever to clean all the spring plate bushings up. What a PITA. I run the Welmeisters at this point and those are the least of my concern when it comes to harshness and vibration in the race car!
Old 02-19-2010, 09:39 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by shiners780
It's all in the prep work. Use a brake hone to smooth out the recesses that the bushings set into. That way you're putting a perfectly round bushing into a perfectly round hole, less chance of binding. The bushings might need to be pressed onto the spring plates, no big deal any repair shop can do it if you don't have a press (make sure they put them on the right way!) As Greg said they should be real snug, barely able to move them by hand. Any play and you're defeating the purpose. I've had mine in for 5-6 years of track duty now, no binding or squeaking.

I didn't hone, but got close with a Dremel and little flappy sanding wheel. I used the "spring plate in the freezer + delrin boiling in water" technique to slide the bushings on. It was perfect. The slid on, and once the surfaces returned to room temperature, they were fused.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:26 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shiners780

Hey Shiner, did you also brake hone the torsion bar carrier?
Old 02-20-2010, 09:02 AM
murrayg
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Does anyone have pictures of one of these bushings?? I've got a lathe and a bunch of Delrin...
Old 02-20-2010, 09:59 AM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
Hey Shiner, did you also brake hone the torsion bar carrier?
Yes.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:01 AM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by murrayg
Does anyone have pictures of one of these bushings?? I've got a lathe and a bunch of Delrin...
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Delrin bushings for the spring plate