Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   924/931/944/951/968 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum-70/)
-   -   n\a front bumper conversion, (https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/546416-n-a-front-bumper-conversion.html)

t3rra 01-22-2010 04:57 PM

n\a front bumper conversion,

ok, i really want 2 change my 1988 944 nose/bumper,
turbo look, i no all d parts listed needed, but y do people re shape d fenders(cuting away) and not from the turbo bumper instead? 2 get the real turbo finsh?
turbo lights these r hard 2 sourse, and expensive, has anyone made or mod na lights 2 fit?
924 carrea style bumper, any one done this? use na light and keep the same shape, just gets rid off the ugly bumper fit.
i dont want 2 b a tight ars, but my £"2400 car has already cost £7000, in 6 months and i still want 2 respay and nose swap,

I_am_imprezed 01-22-2010 08:01 PM

wat

Po924S 01-22-2010 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by I_am_imprezed (Post 7245874)
wat

+1 :confused:

If you want turbo look. All you should need are both fenders, bumper, and the nose piece. There shouldn't be any reshaping if the parts are all from a S2/Turbo. As for the lights, I don't know.

ernie9468 01-22-2010 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by t3rra (Post 7245272)
ok, i really want 2 change my 1988 944 nose/bumper,
turbo look, i no all d parts listed needed, but y do people re shape d fenders(cuting away) and not from the turbo bumper instead? 2 get the real turbo finsh?
turbo lights these r hard 2 sourse, and expensive, has anyone made or mod na lights 2 fit?
924 carrea style bumper, any one done this? use na light and keep the same shape, just gets rid off the ugly bumper fit.
i dont want 2 b a tight ars, but my £"2400 car has already cost £7000, in 6 months and i still want 2 respay and nose swap,

Slow down man ,you started 9 treads in no time at all ,why don't you take a step back get all your questions together, then peoples migth be able to give you a better answer. Take care.

t3rra 01-22-2010 09:42 PM

Also need head lights? As there a differnt shape, and bumper strut. U can u na wings if cut away 2 d same shape as turbo/s2 bumper. Iv read most of the threads, but wat I wondered if any one cut d turbo bumper 2 fit d shape of na fenders, if this was easyer?

Has anyone on here from d uk done this?
There's a place over here called pro 9, who sell glass fiber pannles. Has anyone used them, can comment on there queity and fit?

Has anyone used 924 carrea bumper on a 944? As it would keep d main shape and style, reuse lights.

halik 01-23-2010 01:13 AM

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n...tiz/samuel.jpg

ritzblitz 01-23-2010 01:22 AM

Ill fix that for you

http://www.lolsauce.com/RandomBS/Eng...%20****er.jpeg

smokin_944 01-23-2010 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by ritzblitz (Post 7246760)

:bowdown:

BeerBurner 01-23-2010 11:43 AM

First off, I'm not trying to be a dick here but please don't make posts like a text message. It makes it hard to read and most of us won't take the time to try and figure out what you're trying to say so you won't get the information you need. Even though I'm a teacher who has to decipher stuff like this quite often it still took me several tries to figure out what you were asking.

Going back to your questions, while I have never done the turbo conversion (I'm happy with my regular front end) I don't recall seeing anyone cutting the bumper instead of the fenders/wings. That's not to say it can't be done but I would guess that there is a reason that the fenders/wings get trimmed when you consider that it's the preferred way to go. And yes, you'll need the headlight pieces as well.

Regarding the 924 Carrera GT front end, I agree that I absolutely love the way it looks and have toyed with doing it myself. Unfortunately, my research on it shows that there are often quality and fitment issues so it's not really a simple bolt-in procedure. Plus, I wouldn't expect the fiberglass parts to hold up that well if someone bumps in to it so I ultimately decided to scrap the idea as it would cost me too much time/money to make it something that I'd be happy with. :(

BB.

halik 01-23-2010 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by ritzblitz (Post 7246760)

I was going for subtlety...

Po924S 01-23-2010 02:39 PM

I have a feeling this guys just not going to reply to anything now... Haha.

ernie9468 01-23-2010 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Po924S (Post 7247799)
I have a feeling this guys just not going to reply to anything now... Haha.

You want to bet ??

t3rra 01-23-2010 04:50 PM

beerburner, thank you, seems everyone else is more interested with piss taking then helping. With regarded 2 GT Carrera bumper, isn’t turbo style made from the same material, glass fibre (Pu)? And there for face the same mentioned ill fait if a was 2 accrue?

BeerBurner 01-23-2010 07:54 PM

Let me start out by saying that I'm not an expert on this topic so everything I say is "for whatever it's worth"...

The factory turbo/S2 bumper is made of some kind of plastic (I'm assuming polyurathane) so it'll flex with a bump. I'd expect that a genuine 924 Carrera GT bumper will be made of the same thing or something similar. Unfortunately, all of the aftermarket 924 CGT bumpers I have seen are made of fiberglass and I don't see them being as resiliant in a parking lot bumper strike.

Keep in mind that polyurethane isn't the same thing as fiberglass.

In any event, if you want to make big changes then going with the OEM turbo/S2 front bumper, nose piece, lights, bumper brace, etc. will probably be the most durable way. If I were to want to really change up the front of my car that's probably the direction I'd take (including trimming the wings rather than buying new ones).

The ironic thing is that while you want to make these big changes, I'd probably give my first born for a complete european front bumper that you have. Too bad I can't give any cash for it right now... ;)

BB.

t3rra 01-23-2010 08:16 PM

Ow right, didn’t realise, u guys r really in 2 the whole euro bumper look? There cheap here. But the exchange rate and postage is where the cost added up. I looked at some USA brands and the delivery was same if not twice the product, which was strange, because I brought BMX part from empire and the delivery and import tax still worked out hundreds cheaper! If it worked out worthwhile I could try helping u guys out b shipping stuff over myself and the favour returned likewise?

87 944 C 01-24-2010 02:52 AM

the front end of a carrera 924 genuine as a one peice(minus hood) fiberglass mold, for racing, for the street, multi pieces but still fiberglass. 944 front end here in the State's are polyurethane.

the turbo front end nose and the fenders, fenders get trimmed to fit the nose, it's just the easier way to do it. headlights would need to be changed, as well as the header panel, piece between headlights, they bend out a little more than the n/a version. the headlights covers are also a lil bigger than the n/a.

ktel 01-24-2010 06:57 AM

I think that you should spend your money maintaining and / or repairing mechanically your 944. The euro bumper looks lovely and there are a lot of people that prefer a euro than a turbo bumper. If you want to make it a little different than the other 944s you can buy a 931 header panel which probably bolts on and a pair of fog lights if you don't have already.

tifosiman 01-24-2010 08:01 AM

Contrary to what many have posted erroneously on here, you don't need new headlights for a 951/S2 bumper conversion on your 944. You do need the headlight covers, black plastic headlight surrounds, and the header panel. Along with the other things" Bumper cover, support and shocks, turn signals, foglights, and black plastic undertray (aka "batwing"). You'll need to work out some wiring issues for the signals and foglights as it is different from the 944 wiring, and the plugs are different, so get as much of the Turbo/S2 wiring from the lights back including the plugs if possible.

Not only is cutting the fenders easier than trimming the bumper cover, it looks better and is more "factory" in appearance. If you aren't an expert panel beater, then I would take it in to have that portion of the project done. A very small triangle shaped piece of metal needs to be removed from each corner, then the metal needs to be folded over to create a factory looking lip, matching the contours of the bumper cover in the corners.

If you make the swap, I would also recommend purchasing a factory Turbo/S2 tow-eye for the front bumper. It screws into a receptacle in the center and allows for easier towing. Buy it and put it in your factory tool kit.

Good luck.

t3rra 01-24-2010 08:05 AM

Well here’s the thing, IV owned the car 4 6 months and everyday I wish I got a turbo or s2, purely based on looks. For me it’s the turbo style. I would have just saved and brought a turbo/s2. More so the turbo S. but I have spent so much money maintaining the car already. I know all it faults. I’m just reluctant 2 starts over. And cut my losses. The car I brought was a sound car! Drove 360 mile home! that said in realty 944S is more than fast another 2 lost my new required licence, over here u get 6 points, once caught over 100 and ur banned, or 2 mirror driving offences, e.g. over 30 in a 30 zone, even pulling away 2 fast!

I would love 2 just swap with a turbo front end, yes I have fogs. Turbo in 944 N/A would b a great sleeper car, but would the intercooler fit? If anyone’s got a turbo front end or even a fabric works they want 2 swaps 4 a euro front with fogs?

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...stockfront.jpg

James At CSULA 01-24-2010 12:49 PM

someone will for sure jump on this!

Jim 944S 01-24-2010 01:30 PM

A "MUST SEE" for all participants in this thread...

Ar' yoo spaken Englaash noww?

Catherine Tate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxB1gB6K-2A

Jim aka 1987 944S

intrepidagent 06-18-2017 12:14 AM

My head hurts after reading this..............

tifosiman 06-19-2017 08:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
??