Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 Spec Racing

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 08:35 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 Spec Racing

Hi all,

I just got this crazy idea to maybe try some 944 spec type racing or at least for a while some Drivers Ed events that a normal 944 could compete in. The 944 over time would be built into a spec car.

Am I crazy for wanting to do this? My idea is that I want something cheaper to run and less likely to bite hard than my 951. I have parts off my 951 that could improve a 944 if I decide to mostly do DE type events that don't have rules.

What I am wanting to do is learn to drive the car a lot better without risking damaging the 951. Also, the lower speeds of the 944 make things happen less quickly and to be fast, one cant do it with brute power in a 944. It must be done with grace.

The other thing is I can get a very good deal on a 944 that only needs some minor work and much of the expensive stuff (i.e. clutch, bilstein shocks, etc) has been done without too many miles on it. I also know most of the history of the car. I used to own this car and put 80% of the miles on the car.

This has me thinking to use this thing for some DE and/or 944spec racing.

Am i crazy?

-Dana
Old 12-16-2009, 08:58 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At least out east, there is a spec class for the NA and for the Turbo/S2 cars. If you already have the 951, stick with it. Do some DE's first.. learn the basics, then go racing and have fun. Away from running with the SPEC class cars, say at a DE, you will likely find the 951 will have more cars to play with than the regular NA. Seems 150hp isn't enough these days
Old 12-16-2009, 09:29 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DanaT
The other thing is I can get a very good deal on a 944 that only needs some minor work and much of the expensive stuff (i.e. clutch, bilstein shocks, etc) has been done without too many miles on it. I also know most of the history of the car. I used to own this car and put 80% of the miles on the car.

This has me thinking to use this thing for some DE and/or 944spec racing.

Am i crazy?

-Dana
Sounds reasonable.

But I'm taking a free 944S, mildly banged up, probably better parted out, and making a DE car out of it. You may not want advice from people like me.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:04 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Why not take advice from people like you?

I am wanting a car that if bang up i dont care so much

bad thing is it actually has nice shiney factory original paint, no wrecks (so no bashed up body panels), runs well, new AC, etc. It just was vandalized. It had two tires slashed the windshield smashed and driver window smashed. It need a front caliper rebuilt and the oil cooler resealed. Other than that, it runs well and has all the expensive maintenance items (clutch, engine mounts, water pump, radiator, shocks, etc) with low miles on them.

So for a base to start with, its probably as good as I will find.

I think after reading about PCA DE events, that is more like it for a while. If I do that (since no rules) I may put on 951 brakes (I need to look for them and hope I still have them. I may have sold them off years ago cheaply) and 951 front sway bar (already has 951 rear bar on it which makes it much more neutral than the 944 bar).

Throw in a roll bar, some harnesses, and cheap race seats while taking out a bunch of crap and I can have fun at DE events.

-Dana
Old 12-17-2009, 12:53 AM
chris_v
Instructor

Dana, I see that you live in Boulder, Im assuming CO, you couldnt have picked a better class to join in this region. Here in CO 944 spec is one of the larger classes (probably the largest but im not totally sure). Unlike what other people have stated you wont have many other 951's to run with out here, there are many other people looking to join our class and running 944 cars in DE's with the objective of racing spec later. As far as cost, the operating cost of an NA is quite a bit lower than a 951, consumables such a tires, brakes, clutch etc will be lower due to less wear and the parts are cheaper (mostly) . There are plenty of people locally that have a wealth of knowledge on these cars. I know there are a few boulderites that race spec for one. Most of us race with NASA and a few also run with PCA but not to race spec (just SP1 which is slightly different and less popular) . Hope this helps.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:20 AM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, I am in CO.

Cost is one of the reasons that I dont want to run a 951. All around the cars cost more. Initial cost. Running Cost. Part Cost. and my 951 wouldnt fit into many classes.

I think I will do the DE thing for a while the 944 then as I get the car built (or un-built) I will move more towards SPEC944.

-Dana
Old 12-17-2009, 12:39 PM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

Dana - check out the Rocky Mountain Region NASA group, the 944-Spec.org website, and your Rocky Mountain PCA groups. Before modifying your car heavily please read through rules required by a Spec class - as they limit what you can do. Arm yourself with information and visit with some of the groups at a local track event - even offer to pit crew. Chuck Taylor is the RMR NASA 944-Spec director.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:21 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

First, join NASA. They offer great, graduated DE classes, and the opportunity to see how racing looks from the participant's point of view. I did a DE event with NASA and watched the 944 Cup finals. It was definitely comforting to see how a 944 cup racer's weekend goes. It's actually fairly similar to how a DE goes. Pretty low key stuff, just more intensity on track.

If you haven't had any track time, then DE is a good start. Then you need a race license.

Lastly, if you are not going to track your 951, and you see a future racing, then buy a pre-prepped spec 944 car. You'll save thousands in dollars and hundred of hours. But it won't be street legal (probably) and that means towing.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:24 PM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

While you are going up the DE scale you can drive a Spec car to the track. You'll need to have proper lights, emissions, safety, ride height, etc. (of course all depending on your state / local regulations). But I do agree buy something already built and save yourself a lot of time and $. The 2009 National Championship car is from CO and is for sale IIRC.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:46 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

I have a truck and car trailer. No need to drive to track. I learned when racing motorcycles that driving to track in the race vehicle is a bad idea.....

I know it may be cheaper, but I am also wanting a fairly easy project. And keep in mind the 944 is the right price.

Dana
Old 12-18-2009, 02:36 AM
Litespeeds
Racer

You can not run a 944S in 944Spec Racing. The only thing that makes it illegal is the 16V motor so if you swap that out with an 8V motor, you are good to go.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:54 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by Litespeeds
You can not run a 944S in 944Spec Racing. The only thing that makes it illegal is the 16V motor so if you swap that out with an 8V motor, you are good to go.
The "S" is a bad choice for racing in spec series'. It's not gonna work in Spec944 or 944Cup and it sure gonna have a hard time keeping up on 944 SuperCup.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:17 PM
Weston
Racer

944-Spec is one of the easier classes to get into... The cars don't cost much, you don't have to mod the crap out of them, they're easy to work on, it's no big tragedy if you dent a fender, and there are a lot of people who can help you. And from a driver's point of view, it's a momentum car, so it really develops your driving skills... Smooth consistent driving pays off. When another guys screws up a corner, he doesn't have power to compensate for it, so it costs him all the way down the following straight, and you gain. Many of us have given up much more powerful cars to race 944-Spec. The cars tend to stay together pretty well, and I find that racing 160hp / 2600lbs wheel-to-wheel in a pack of traffic is a hell of a lot more exciting and intense than back when I was driving 300hp / 2600lbs by myself or spread out from other cars.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:03 AM
87 944 C
Drifting

i've been checking into this lately too, the NJ region seems kinda small but i don't care. i was thinking the way some already mentioned, run some DE's, get used to the car on a track, and then in 2011 have the car ready for spec racing, if not have a 2nd car for it
Old 12-19-2009, 11:38 AM
nkgosselin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Best decision I ever made ditching my 951 street cars for a 944SPEC race car.

Quick Reply: 944 Spec Racing