Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 Spec Racing

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 01:11 PM
genikz
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd recommend building or buying a 944 for 944-Spec to anyone and everyone. My engine has never been opened up and runs like a top. 163xxx miles and counting...

The chassis is fantastic and the last parts car/spare engine combo I picked up only cost me $300. You can't beat that.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:09 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DanaT
Hi all,

I just got this crazy idea to maybe try some 944 spec type racing or at least for a while some Drivers Ed events that a normal 944 could compete in. The 944 over time would be built into a spec car.

Am I crazy for wanting to do this? My idea is that I want something cheaper to run and less likely to bite hard than my 951. I have parts off my 951 that could improve a 944 if I decide to mostly do DE type events that don't have rules.

What I am wanting to do is learn to drive the car a lot better without risking damaging the 951. Also, the lower speeds of the 944 make things happen less quickly and to be fast, one cant do it with brute power in a 944. It must be done with grace.

The other thing is I can get a very good deal on a 944 that only needs some minor work and much of the expensive stuff (i.e. clutch, bilstein shocks, etc) has been done without too many miles on it. I also know most of the history of the car. I used to own this car and put 80% of the miles on the car.

This has me thinking to use this thing for some DE and/or 944spec racing.

Am i crazy?

-Dana
I know this is a bit old, but 10 years ago I was in the same spot you are thinking of the same things. I had (still have) a stock 944 Turbo S. I tracked the car and autocrossed it, but stock on street tires was not ideal. Plus I never wanted to damage it. So found a beat 84 944 NA and stripped it out for autocross and track. This was a car that was ideal for two reasons. 1) NA motor with no power and little ways to make hp so it keeps costs down. 2) car was already beat so a little fender bender or track rash was not going to cause me to blink an eye.

I found the low hp forced me to learn to carry speed and become a better driver and in my first track event I was turing lap times the same as my Turbo S. That was all before 944 spec was created. Now that 944 spec was created I have been having fun in that series for years and now have run 6-7 seconds a lap faster than now than I ever did in my Turbo.

I say do it. It is fun and worth the effort.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:56 PM
Photodan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've also been considering selling the S2 and looking into a spec NA 944. I was thinking to really get stuck into the DE's in 2010 and then progress on to some racing some time in the future. I think it would be a great path for me to start building some real driving skills. The racing looks sooooo much fun too, it seems like everyone has a great time.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:27 PM
JerryW
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jaje
The 2009 National Championship car is from CO and is for sale IIRC.
Charlie's car is from CA - NorCal and So Cal fight over his allegiance. It is for sale though
Old 12-31-2009, 10:13 AM
asoduk
Advanced

I started in an 85 944 doing DE and Autocross, then moved up to a 951. After 2 years of DE with the turbo, I built a spec miata. I'm still too slow to win a race, but even at the tail end of the field there is a good race going on. I have friends running Spec 944 and 944 Cup that say the same thing. The ability to slowly go from street car to race car is nice too. Don't focus on winning races your first season; focus on having clean races and learning more about driving in a race. Its a hoot and you likely won't regret the experience!
Old 12-31-2009, 10:58 AM
v-tach
Burning Brakes

yes a thumbs up for 944spec and 944cup..a good way to learn how to drive and keep the costs at a minimal --if there is such a thing !
good luck
Old 12-31-2009, 11:02 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by v-tach
yes a thumbs up for 944spec and 944cup..a good way to learn how to drive and keep the costs at a minimal --if there is such a thing !
good luck
Between the two, I've heard that spec will be lower cost since permissible mods are fewer in spec. But even in cup the mods are basic. Spec Miata and Spec/944/Cup are great options.

But don't forget some of the bare bones spec racers like Spec Racer Ford.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:50 PM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

Spec is what it means - limit performance modifications to limit $$ spent on the car and make the cars more even across the entire field (that's not to say they exactly are from a more well set up car to a newly built one that has some kinks to work out - and those cars running the 88 higher compression pistons, LSD, etc.). Whereas Cup allows much more modifications such as Lexan rear hatch / windshields, remote reservoir shocks, rear torsion bar delete - but it allows many more cars into the series such as the 924 or '89 944 with the 2.7 liter engine.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:53 AM
v-tach
Burning Brakes

keep in mind when choosing a class -- that u want to get into a class that has competetion in your region. u dont wanna build a car to find out that your the only driver in that class in your region. racing is about the competetion --- it doesnt matter what car u drive. if there are 50 guys to race against you with the same car - u will have a **** load of fun !
v-tach

Quick Reply: 944 Spec Racing