Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've gotta be the shift linkage ZEN MASTER!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 01:34 PM
944obscene
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've gotta be the shift linkage ZEN MASTER!

I've been dealing with a crash-course in 944 shifter 101 for the past couple weeks.

Experienced a sudden case of shifter slop that got so bad I couldn't always find all my gears. 5th was HARD to get to. I got up under the car after looking over Clark's site and started messing around. Tore the shifter stuff off the center console and have spent time adjusting everything. I will be getting a new shifter and rod linkage later, but for now I'm just making this one work. I've got it so tight now, the slack is about a 1/4 what it was before. I can't move the shifter much with any moderate slack!

I was convinced the linkage at the back was FUBAR, but I've since learned that I just didn't have everything selected right. How about you try adjusting the linkage on the transmission, the night (early morning actually) before work only to find out you didn't set it right and you can't get to 1st or 2nd the next morning! I had to take 10 minutes out of my commute time BEFORE WORK to set everything that morning!

I've gotta say though- It's nice getting familiar with this car. I'm slowly learning my way around it. I'm very mechanically minded, but I don't do well with something new until I get to know it. I can crawl all over other cars, but this one is taking some getting used to!

Quick Reply: I've gotta be the shift linkage ZEN MASTER!