Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front ride height off- help

Old 08-03-2009, 12:28 AM
nddoublea77
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front ride height off- help

I just purchased an 86 951. After I got it home I noticed that the passenger side sits a good inch lower than the drivers side. The ride is not as good or smooth as my 87 928 was either. I assume the struts are shot. The camber on the passenger side seems off too. My question is whether or not a bad strut could affect the ride height like this. The strut that is on there is black with a gold/zinc cap on it. The cap has 6 or 8 notches cut out of it on the top corner. Does this sound rebuildable. I dont see threads but it looks like those notches are for knocking that cap loose. I've search all over and am very confused. Any help is appreciated.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:52 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe the early offset struts are re-buildable... but don't quote me on that (up to 86 acording to what I am looking at but...)

I have a set of KYB inserts I bought at Advanced Auto before I found out the struts on my 88 were not rebuildable... they are taking up space in my closet..make me an offer and I might be inclined to ship em, but they are kinda big boxes... might be better off getting some locally

Check the strut by bouncing the front end, if it keeps bouncing after you stop, it's blown... if it stops bouncing when you stop it's good
Old 08-03-2009, 09:57 AM
nddoublea77
Intermediate

How do the kyb ride. I like a softer ride. I ordered a monroe insert off ebay. $30 to my door. I was going to get a second from oreilly. They can get them for about 37. I would be interested in your kyb's if the price is right. I would give you 60 shipped I guess. Wish I would have known about them before I ordered the monroes.

What is your opinion on the ride height situation. When I push down to see if they bounce the car hardly moves at all. I think because its so low on that side.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:05 AM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

if the strut bottoms, or is bottomed out, when bouncing the fender, it's bad.

do both sides if one is needed.

95sl320 dd
Old 08-03-2009, 12:08 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

The right rear is usually pretty low due to sagging torsion bars. I do not know why that side seems to sag more than the other side, but it does. The ride height adjustment can usually get most of the sag dialed back out. New t-bars would be better but that is a big job.

If you have sag in the front, and you do not have an adjustable suspension, that means new springs. The 944's do not generally get much ride height change from replacement shocks/struts as they are low-pressure gas design and not a high pressure design that has more of a spring effect when the gas pressure is still fresh.

I am noticing that I might have a dead front spring on my 968 cabrio and am struggling to find new stock-style front springs. Lowering or stiffer springs are easy to find but I do not want lower or stiffer.
Does anyone have a source for stock springs? Used does not seem wise.

-Joel.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:23 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...pg7.htm#item31

They have stock height springs for 944 and 1 inch drop for 968... go coil over and adjust to the height you want...
Old 08-03-2009, 12:26 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by nddoublea77
How do the kyb ride. I like a softer ride. I ordered a monroe insert off ebay. $30 to my door. I was going to get a second from oreilly. They can get them for about 37. I would be interested in your kyb's if the price is right. I would give you 60 shipped I guess. Wish I would have known about them before I ordered the monroes.

What is your opinion on the ride height situation. When I push down to see if they bounce the car hardly moves at all. I think because its so low on that side.
Not sure how the KYB ride, I ended up with Sachs struts and KYB shocks on my N/A and I have Koni yellows on my 951...
Old 08-03-2009, 12:33 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a nice set of M030 struts for sale here on the board.
These would take care of all the problems.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:19 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...pg7.htm#item31

They have stock height springs for 944 and 1 inch drop for 968... go coil over and adjust to the height you want...
The stock fronts are already coil over, just not ride height adjustable. It would be kind of a waste however to put in an adjustable ride height kit just to try to get an otherwise-stock car back to stock ride height with shorter, stiffer aftermarket springs. Probably cheaper to either order up the stock springs from Porsche or get some made up with the stock specs.

Thanks though.
-Joel.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:34 PM
nddoublea77
Intermediate

Thanks guys for the great info. I should have mentioned that the guy I got the car from had the front sway bar off when I bought it. I thought this was strange and am currently looking for bushing kits to put it back on. Very weird. The guy had receipts and records for the major repairs like clutch, belts, turbo etc but small things like parking brake and odometer gear weren't done. The car is in great shape but I want everything done before I can enjoy it. Maybe I should get that sway bar back on and see what happens to the ride height. As cheap as those springs are it may not be a bad idea to replace them if Im doing the struts anyway.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:35 PM
nddoublea77
Intermediate

Hey porschedude1 are you pretty happy with your lindsey stage one set up. I was looking at their stuff and it looks pretty tempting.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:23 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Could not be happier when taking the cost into consideration.
Car drives great!
Old 08-03-2009, 07:34 PM
nddoublea77
Intermediate

I just got the car and it came with a 2.5 cat bypass exhaust and manual boost controller that Im scared to mess with until more research. Im still learning about this turbo stuff. I know the chips can be done relatively easily but what about the wastegate mods or the fuel pressure reg. Lastly what do you think about the boost enhancer Lindsey sells and did you try it?
Old 08-03-2009, 07:37 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

You do not need a boost enhancer with a manual ****.
I would not touch the boost level till you see what chipset is in the car.
A new wastegate will make a big difference.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: front ride height off- help