Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

random observation of window switch failure

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 05:45 PM
jenket944
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default random observation of window switch failure

For a while now, I haven't been able to move the passenger window up or down using the switches on both the passenger or driver door. I figured it was the motor and hadn't gotten around to fixing it. While working on the driver door to fix the mirror, I replaced the passenger window switch after noticing it was sticking when pressed. Lo and behold, the the passenger window works again. I didn't mess with the wiring or even touch the passenger door. Go figure. Didn't think the driver side switch failure would render the window inoperable.

Figured I'd post this since it might help someone diagnose the same failure in the future.

Happy motoring...
Old 07-27-2009, 05:54 PM
931guru
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 269 Posts

Yep, they're wired in series. One doesn't work, both won't work (usually).
Old 07-27-2009, 05:57 PM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea the two switches are in master-slave configuration. it's quite....stupid to say the least.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:23 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 124 Posts

not stupid. If one is pressed 'up' and the other 'down' and one did not override the other, it'd be a dead short to ground. The contacts in the switches tend to get carbonized and stop working, but they are easy enough to clean with some 1200 paper and a small stick or dowel, and they will work like new. Did one of mine on Sunday.

-Joel.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:40 PM
jenket944
Pro

Well, I'll have to say it was frustrating. Didn't know they were in series (but that makes sense now). Glad I fixed it by replacing the switch before tearing apart the door to check the motor and wiring.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:57 PM
jenket944
Pro

Now that I think about it... I've had a battery drain issue for a while. Any idea if the failed switch would have caused it?
Old 07-27-2009, 08:48 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
not stupid. If one is pressed 'up' and the other 'down' and one did not override the other, it'd be a dead short to ground. The contacts in the switches tend to get carbonized and stop working, but they are easy enough to clean with some 1200 paper and a small stick or dowel, and they will work like new. Did one of mine on Sunday.

-Joel.
What I found in switches I disassembled was that the grease melts and runs down into the "UP" contact (which is at the bottom). It's that nasty thick grease that gets waxy with age. Then again, it's much hotter here than Boulder!
Old 07-27-2009, 09:18 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by 931guru
Yep, they're wired in series. One doesn't work, both won't work (usually).
Except on mine I can't operate the PS from the DS switch but the single one on the PS works fine. I get tired of reaching across to use the window. I have tried a new switch and no cigar so it must be the plug or an open ground.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:06 PM
ballysdad
Instructor

Except on mine I can't operate the PS from the DS switch but the single one on the PS works fine. I get tired of reaching across to use the window. I have tried a new switch and no cigar so it must be the plug or an open ground.

Yeah I thought that too. I could work all three independent from the drivers door but still wouldn't work on the passenger door until I replaced all 3 and it has worked ever since.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:14 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ballysdad

Yeah I thought that too. I could work all three independent from the drivers door but still wouldn't work on the passenger door until I replaced all 3 and it has worked ever since.
Maybe I''l give that a try and steal even more parts from the project car. There won't be anything left if I cannibalize it any more.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:16 AM
Vonov
Racer

Location: Nashville///'84 944NA, Virtual Luftwaffe pilot, Fighter Ace online

Sandpaper is ok if contacts are pitted or VERY badly corroded, but electrical contact degreaser spray, and a pencil eraser clean without damaging the contacts. then relube with the proper grease, (dielectric?) and all is well. BTW, sometimes the contact "arms" inside the switches bend after repeated use...the switches for the early cars are VERY easy to disassemble (even done it by accident while trying to remove the switch from the harness)---the pivot point is sort of like the old hidden axles on the little plastic toy army tanks, where the whole thing just snapped right in. Carefully, taking care not to lose the tiny springs, pull the front of the switch away from the back side. Once you have it apart, you can bend the contacts back into position with a pair of hemostats (roach clips to some of you 60's and 70's college types) or a small pair of needle nose pliers. If you manage to bungle it, like I did, and they go "sproing!" it helps if you take a digital pic to see how they went in in the first place. Clean the contacts while yer in there, and reassemble. Most of the time, they'll work for another few years.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:58 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

I just swapped 3 good switches from the other car and it still no help. The buyer is aware of the issue so he can play with tracking down the open wire. Since both windows work he'll figure it out eventually.

Quick Reply: random observation of window switch failure