Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Fluid Flush - Slave Cylinder flush, then this?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 01:32 AM
Perculator00
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Fluid Flush - Slave Cylinder flush, then this?

Didn't know the last time my brake fluid was changed so used my power bleeder, did all 4 brake/calipers.

Then did the slave cylinder, and before I did the slave cylinder, i boosted the pressure back up to around 13/15psi on the bleeder.

after trying to bleed the slave cylinder at first, i had to get a good turn on the 7mm screw, but lots of dirty lookin fluid followed by a loud sound almost like air i think. the fluid never dropped lower than mid/upper in the reservoir.

the Clutch is stuck to the floor, u can put it back in up position, but requires you to lift the pedal. When the pedal goes down, it firmly strong goes down with weight feeling like...

last, i opened the bleeder screw on the slave once again with a tub over it, and a small amount of the Gold ATE looking brake fluid i used to flush the system came out, not much though, followed by nothing really. (at this time the power bleeder was NOT hooked up)

Any help is greatly appreciated...im no true guru mechanic, but i have basic maintenance skills.

Last edited by Perculator00; 07-20-2009 at 01:49 AM.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:40 AM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I Think when bleeding the brakes you let the fluid go below the clutch hose in the reservoir and got some air in the clutch system.

Hook the bleeder back up, pressurize it, and bleed the clutch again. Should be fine.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:42 AM
Perculator00
Instructor

Originally Posted by m73m95
I Think when bleeding the brakes you let the fluid go below the clutch hose in the reservoir and got some air in the clutch system.

Hook the bleeder back up, pressurize it, and bleed the clutch again. Should be fine.
What pressure do you recommend?

it says not to go over 20 psi. i used about 15-20 when doing the brakes.

BTW: Should I leave the clutch pedal in the down or up position now?

thanks
Old 07-20-2009, 01:51 AM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

same as brakes. 15lbs is plenty.

Leave the clutch pedal up, and don't mess with it until good, clean fluid comes out of the bleeder screw. be VERY SURE you don't let the fluid in the reservoir go below the clutch hose in the side of the reservoir.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:13 AM
Perculator00
Instructor

Leave the clutch pedal up, and don't mess with it until good, clean fluid comes out of the bleeder screw. be VERY SURE you don't let the fluid in the reservoir go below the clutch hose in the side of the reservoir.
I will pour the brake fluid I have left into the bleeder then before I hook it up and pressurize it....is the high pitch sound and clear looking substance i saw/heard come out when i did the slave normal?

thanks again
Old 07-20-2009, 02:15 AM
T_Glass_27
Instructor

Watch this video... Its an old trick to easily bleed the system. Works like a charm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdf--suwqw0
Old 07-20-2009, 01:41 PM
Perculator00
Instructor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by T_Glass_27
Watch this video... Its an old trick to easily bleed the system. Works like a charm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdf--suwqw0
thx man
Old 07-23-2009, 01:01 PM
Perculator00
Instructor

Thumbs up

same as brakes. 15lbs is plenty.

Thanks for your advice man.

So, I hooked the bleeder back up (made sure the clutch pedal was "up") and pumped pressure into the reservoir, got down under the slave cylinder and opened her up....at first....I noticed a good amount of air bubbles coming out followed by that loud/high pitch air sound thingy....so the reservoir was still right below the max line, but I was not getting good consistent fluid out of the slave. Then, I disconnected the bleeder, poured a tad bit into the reservoir to the top, and poured the remaining fluid into the bleeder tank, then pressurized again...this time...nice/solid/clear fluid was coming out and I closed it when I noticed....

Clutch seems to be operating fine now

What I dont understand is, when you turn the slave screw just a tad more after you first open it....why was so much air and that high pitch sound coming out?

thanks for the help
Old 07-23-2009, 03:33 PM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Not to hyjack your post but how did you get to the slave cylinder to bleed it? Do you have to remove the starter ? I've looked a few times but could not tell how on earth you get to it. I have to replace the line that connects the brake resivor to the clutch master (because mine is dry rotting) and I will need to bleed it after.

Tom
Old 07-23-2009, 04:02 PM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While I have pressure on the system and have the bleeder open I have somone work the clutch pedal up and down. Always works great for me.

Mark
Old 07-23-2009, 04:22 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by originalmotorhead
Not to hyjack your post but how did you get to the slave cylinder to bleed it? Do you have to remove the starter ? I've looked a few times but could not tell how on earth you get to it. I have to replace the line that connects the brake resivor to the clutch master (because mine is dry rotting) and I will need to bleed it after.

Tom
You don't have to remove the starter, but you might want to the first time just to know where it is. The starter is easy to remove on these cars. Now that I've done it a bunch of times, you just reach up in there blind from above, hook up a hose, and crack open the bleeder. Just be careful with your 7mm wrench that you don't short it to the starter. It is possible to engage the starter. If you have the rear wheels on the ground and the car in gear, it can become a bad day. The safest thing to do is to disconnect the negative lead of the battery (which you'll do if you remove the starter).
Old 07-23-2009, 04:25 PM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they say it's easier if u remove the starter. but i managed to get to it w/o removing anything. putting the rubber cap back on afterwards was a pita though.

used motive power bleeder.

yea good advice, undo yer battery hookup or u might find your fingers on some sparkages
Old 07-23-2009, 04:29 PM
Perculator00
Instructor

Originally Posted by originalmotorhead

Tom
Jack up the car and get under there....look about 4-6" to the side of the starter and you cant miss the slave cylinder screw. I bought a "long" 7mm wrench so I could open/close it easier than using my shorter wrench.

For bleeding, you dont HAVE to remove the starter.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:33 PM
Perculator00
Instructor

Originally Posted by marky522
While I have pressure on the system and have the bleeder open I have somone work the clutch pedal up and down. Always works great for me.

Mark
So what your saying is...In addition to using the power bleeder, you also have someone pump the clutch after you open the slave screw? I thought about that, but the first member to reply to my post said "dont mess with the clutch pedal until clear fluid starts coming out"

If you do it the manual way even for the clutch....do u have to use the same rule like brake calipers...."never leave the slave cylinder in OPEN if the partner lifts the pedal UP"??
Old 07-23-2009, 05:01 PM
Perculator00
Instructor

YESS DEFF disconnect the terminals on ur battery (negative)

Even if you are not going to remove the starter, disconnect it because your gonna be using ur wrench in that spot, and as long as the battery is hooked up, it will throw sparks everywhere.

Quick Reply: Brake Fluid Flush - Slave Cylinder flush, then this?