Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.0 swap?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 11:28 PM
83 944
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 5.0 swap?

i have a mustang 5.0 fully rebuilt and whatnot. and i tried to doing the search on here but i didnt find anything. does anyone sell kits for this motor to fit in a 944? i have motor and trans its a carb motor i have everything. i just need to know if i need a special crossmember, and if i mount the 5.0 tranny where the 944 tranny is and use the torque tube and bell housing. i have no idea how it would work. but me and my step dad want a project. and we have this motor lying around

so is there any kits or is it all custom and what all do i need to do.

thanks
Old 07-16-2009, 12:02 AM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, There was a guy on The hybrid site that did it.... apparently the headers have to be custom built motor mounts and what not. he had CAD drawing of all the parts he did... i asked for them but he fell of the face of the earth. I was in the process of building a Roller block 5.0 but that kind of fell through with the economy being the biggest reason.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:24 AM
83 944
Pro

hmmm well this stinks. well it seems easy really. get the crossmember bolt and weld and same with motor mounts and put the 5.0 tranny where the 944 tranny is and run the torque tube and custom fit it to the each end. and its a carbureted so that eliminated all the fuel injected crap and wireing up but i dont know if it is that simple you know. and the n/a doesnt have the power that we all want and with motor that we spend like 6 grand into laying around for a new home we just need to drop it in something sexy like the 944
Old 07-16-2009, 12:28 AM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've heard it fits, but just barely. You might even need to cut and move the strut towers.

The ford engines are 90* V8's where the chevy engines are only 70*, so they're narrower and fit right in the 944 engine compartment. Thats why everyone is swapping the "chebby" engines into their cars.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:33 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by m73m95
The ford engines are 90* V8's where the chevy engines are only 70*, so they're narrower and fit right in the 944 engine compartment. Thats why everyone is swapping the "chebby" engines into their cars.
where did you find this bit of misinformation?
Old 07-16-2009, 12:35 AM
carlege
Drifting

Originally Posted by 83 944
hmmm well this stinks. well it seems easy really. get the crossmember bolt and weld and same with motor mounts and put the 5.0 tranny where the 944 tranny is and run the torque tube and custom fit it to the each end. and its a carbureted so that eliminated all the fuel injected crap and wireing up but i dont know if it is that simple you know. and the n/a doesnt have the power that we all want and with motor that we spend like 6 grand into laying around for a new home we just need to drop it in something sexy like the 944
he mentioned having issues with the headers and the steering shaft.

"I can supply rudimentery ACAD drawings and as much info as i remember. I had a collection of notes but can't find it at the moment. I had to build the motor mounts, headers, bellhousing adapter, I shortened the torque tube and modified the oil pan. The engine is a very tight fit because of the location of the oil pump, which sits very close to the crossmember. The stagger of the block (left side cylinders displaced rearward of the right side) also causes interference with the firewall. The headers are a pain, i could not find any commercially available headers that i could modify so i had to start from scratch. My justification for doing this swap was that the Ford with aluminum heads was the same weight as the turbo motor and was much cheaper than the LS series motors. At the time that was true but the LS motors are much cheaper now and they make a lot more power out of the box. If i was doing it again that is the route i would take. I am very happy with the car but it required a lot of work with little support. If you want the drawings and more info let me know i will do my best to supply whatever i can." Name was 5.0L951
Old 07-16-2009, 01:06 AM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Hahaha. I'll lay $1000 dollars on the line that this will never happen.

Come on Mike you should know damn well that you would not be able to use the rustang tranny. You know the 944 has a transaxle in the rear of the car, where the transmission is actually behind the differential. So unless you want to completely revamp the entire drivetrain from front to back, your best option would be to use the 944 transaxle, and make a custom bellhousing adaptor to match up the motor to the bellhousing on the front of the torque tube. Plus like stated above, you would have to custom make motor mounts, headers, etc. and as far as I know you have no fabrication experience, and nor do I.
Plus why spend endless hours of time chopping up your daily driver when it would take like a whopping half hour to just drop that 5.Slow down in the foxbody rustang sitting in the driveway? If you picked up another 944 with a blown motor or something, it might be a project to consider, but you know that just thinking of this idea right now is just wasting your breath man.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:22 AM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
where did you find this bit of misinformation?
Misinformation? Only thing I can think of being wrong is the angle. I know the chevy engines are more narrow due to the decrease in V angle ..... I'm almost positive in the 70*

If you can find a link to prove me wrong, I will gladly buy you a cookie.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:24 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've heard it fits, but just barely. You might even need to cut and move the strut towers.

Mark, sorry that is wrong. Both are 90 degree and actually the ford SB is narrower than both the LS1 and 1st gen SB.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:37 AM
Erzengal
Burning Brakes

If they can fit a 5.0 in a Miata, I am pretty sure someone can fit one in a 944. Just takes time and money.
The following users liked this post:
reflexr (04-21-2020)
Old 07-16-2009, 01:42 AM
83 944
Pro

well i was just curious. nothing wrong with that.. elliott i sware man you make me look like a damn fool everywhere and everytime i talk about cars. im 18 and just started learning about cars less than a year ago. its a freaking merical that i even did a motor swap from your 86 parts car into my 83 car in the first place and that i have replaced everything that can and will go wrong with this car. (and not having a job doesnt make it any easier) and anything can be done it just takes time and money hit the name project. but its whatever. no matter how hard i try to do anything you always make me feel like a piece of sh** man and im getting tired of it. (stop calling my freaking phone) anyways thanks to the ones who responded this idea was just out of curiousity because i have the motor laying around as so the 350 chevy motor i have as well. thanks.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:42 AM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

OK .... I shall research.

I can tear them apart and put them back together all day long.... The stats are apparently fuzzy lol.

(EDIT) .... OK... researched.... Chevy made a 60 degree 2.8L V6 engine used in many of their vehicles in the 80's. I must have carried this information over to assume all chevy V8's were a different angle from the Fords.

So sorry for the misinformation, was my mistake ....
Old 07-16-2009, 01:55 AM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

damn dude cry it out! Honestly I'd hate to see you start a dumb project that will never get done, on a car that you depend on to get you around town. If people here think it can be easily done and you are convinced, then by all means start swapping, and I'll help you out along the way. But I'm just saying, its a bad move considering the circumstances. Despite a few minor common problems once in a while, your car runs great, better than a lot of 944's. Your motor is solid as hell, and I think you should stick with your goals of upgrading the suspension if anything. Sorry for being an *** about my previous post, but my opinions on the topic still stand. Besides....you wouldn't want to be, Found On Road, Dead.... would you?
Old 07-16-2009, 12:24 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Misinformation? Only thing I can think of being wrong is the angle. I know the chevy engines are more narrow due to the decrease in V angle ..... I'm almost positive in the 70*

If you can find a link to prove me wrong, I will gladly buy you a cookie.
they are narrow due to tighter packaging (the SBC was designed to be a "corporate" engine, useable in basically anything chevy made. designing the engine first allowed alot more flexibility in making new cars since they only had to budget X amount of space up front rather than designing the car around the developing engine)

Originally Posted by Erzengal
If they can fit a 5.0 in a Miata, I am pretty sure someone can fit one in a 944. Just takes time and money.
YGPM
(EDIT) .... OK... researched.... Chevy made a 60 degree 2.8L V6 engine used in many of their vehicles in the 80's. I must have carried this information over to assume all chevy V8's were a different angle from the Fords.
that cookie looks good..

gm's first production v6 was a 90* v8 with 2 cylinders chopped off. the 60 degree i would bet was to be used in FWD.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:20 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

The 2.8 was used in the s-10 and s-10 blazer as well as smaller cars.

I also believe it was used in some Buicks..... but we know how my facts are.....

Quick Reply: 5.0 swap?