Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 924/944 today

Old 12-15-2016, 09:50 AM
neilh
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Water pump removal, what a pain!

A friend bought me his much neglected '87 944 NA for a top end R & R, plus all belts, hoses, fuel lines, water pump etc.
Wow, getting that pump out is a pain, I'll take the pump on my 928's any day!
For a car last registered in 1997 in Massachussetts and sitting in a barn for years it is in surprisingly good shape. Rodents filled the air cleaner with a bed and nuts, and shells in almost every corner of engine compartment, but none inside as it was closed up. Battery well rusted as usual, no obvious wiring chewed and after fresh oil, quick check of timing belt, etc, it started right up before I started strip down.
Attached Images  
Old 12-15-2016, 12:01 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 631 Likes on 489 Posts

because VEMS is MAP sensor it takes a fair bit of tweaking to get the very-cold-start right.
MAP stuff (speed density) is more affected by temperature change than MAF.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:15 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ealoken
Doesn't VEMS have "chargetemp" ( cold start) ?

We have to adjust this upp in Norway.
It is summer here so not really cold at all. Both starts today ran rough, turned off, started again and she ran rough, 3rd start both times, purred. Drove perfectly after too. Considering what I have been through, not too stressed about it, as now know how to fix(restart) and is lot less hassle than when I used to have to jiggle speed and ref harness on hot starts lol She is really running well and am stoked the VEMS delivered for me. A dyno tune is a while off so happy the autotune has done such a great job.

I still have to set up my eboost controller properly, and have only got on boost a handful of times and still haven't tried full throttle. Max boost so far was just over 14 #

Car feels V quick. I also need to mount VEMS unit now(been putting it off till I was 100% confident all was good)and get car back together, as well as mount my Zeitornix ZT2 LCD display. I now have EGT sensor fitted to it, so it can display WBO2/lambda, boost, and EGT.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:20 AM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyberpunky
It is summer here so not really cold at all. Both starts today ran rough, turned off, started again and she ran rough, 3rd start both times, purred. Drove perfectly after too. Considering what I have been through, not too stressed about it, as now know how to fix(restart) and is lot less hassle than when I used to have to jiggle speed and ref harness on hot starts lol She is really running well and am stoked the VEMS delivered for me. A dyno tune is a while off so happy the autotune has done such a great job.

I still have to set up my eboost controller properly, and have only got on boost a handful of times and still haven't tried full throttle. Max boost so far was just over 14 #

Car feels V quick. I also need to mount VEMS unit now(been putting it off till I was 100% confident all was good)and get car back together, as well as mount my Zeitornix ZT2 LCD display. I now have EGT sensor fitted to it, so it can display WBO2/lambda, boost, and EGT.

We have very similiar setups, when are you going to the dyno?
Did you buy new conectors or did you cut in the oem harness?

Winter vs summer is -30 to + 35 degree ( celcius ) so, coldstart is a needed function.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:42 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

It will be a while as the bill from getting car going was huge lol

I got Peep to do a plug n play set up for me, so just had to mount WB and air sensor. While I was in there I moved air filter into guard/fender area, where factory intake took its cold air. Local authorities hate pod filters

Wow -30C, worst we get is near 0C usually, and that is rare. Summer top can be over 40C but that never lasts long. My city is famous for having 4 seasons in one day. If you don't like the weather just wait a bit lol
Old 12-18-2016, 01:34 AM
Flammulator
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got some sideways action in.

Last night my area was hit with freezing temperatures for the first time this winter, right after enough rain to cause local flooding. One of my favorite stretches of road, a series of alternating curves, had a small amount of water running across it which froze over in a smooth film. I couldn't resist stabbing the throttle a bit. Even at low revs in 3rd I had little enough grip for the back to step out (think turning the steering wheel 30 degrees left of center to make a right turn). I have had very little opportunity to play around with low grip in this car, and it was fun to see just how controllable and balanced it is. Just takes a little bit of backing off for the rear to pull the car back in line, or a tap on the brakes to shift weight to the front and regain "normal" steering behavior. I know, I'm preaching to the choir, but it's fun stuff...
Old 12-18-2016, 07:45 PM
pfarah7
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 148 Posts

Been having an intermittent issue with the windshield washer pump which was rectified when I cleaned the switch contact, however; I accidentally buggered the turn signal cancelling mechanism during reassembly. SO... I took it all apart again to discover the plastic tab was out of place and I (of course) broke the assembly while trying to fix it. I think I've done this at least one other time during my ownership. Time to order another switch tomorrow... (maybe two).

What's funny is that the car is just about 100% which was enticing me to start looking for an early 928. so either she's getting lonely or just keeping me on my toes.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:56 PM
Jon951
Instructor

Test fitting the exhaust
Name:  photo44.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  2.34 MB
Old 12-21-2016, 02:28 PM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 72 Posts

Nice
Old 12-21-2016, 04:38 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Installed a new shifter bushing cup on the '83 and it cracked in half when I was popping the ball end in. Whoops.

Went to install a new foam piece (the one around the shifter below the boot) since I was working in there, and concluded there wasn't a good way to get it in without pulling the torque tube. What a PITA. Or maybe I wasn't creative enough. 0 for 2 today.

Oil cooler removed on the 951, and I'm getting to work on the turbo exhaust fitment...
Old 12-21-2016, 11:07 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 126 Posts

You might be able to get the foam piece in place by just undoing the TT on the clutch end and sliding it back a bit...after lowering it a bit you might be able to stuff it up and around the TT on the side..You may have to take off the front hanger u clamp or loosen it enough to slide things up and around. You should be able to get the two bolts on top of TT to get the plastic ball receptacle in place at the same time. You may have to finagle the retainer on the shifter first, then put the plastic piece in the retainer and bolt the whole mess back down to the TT. .02 cents...
Old 12-22-2016, 12:18 PM
snb13
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This week I put my winter wheels/tires on and started driving it again (after coming off the injured list, again.)
Old 12-23-2016, 05:04 PM
Ashman
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Picked my new baby up from Chicago on Wednesday and drove it 350 some miles back home to St. Louis. Gave her a bath yesterday when the weather was pretty good to get all that Chicago street grime off her. Today, she got new hood struts, new fog light bulbs, an engine compartment detail, and the leather thoroughly cleaned and protected. Next thing to do is to figure out why the sunroof isn't cooperating. :-)

Was awesome driving her home though. I had a grin from ear to ear for 5 hours straight.

Old 12-23-2016, 08:41 PM
neunfünfeins
Racer

Bought an '89 S2 to keep my '89 Turbo company

[I know, pics or it didn't happen. Added to my To-Do list.]
Old 12-23-2016, 08:46 PM
Dave W.
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Cleaned the speed and reference sensors. They were covered with a couple years worth of metallic clutch dust mixed with a little oil from the rear main seal. The engine had become hard to start with regular kickback, so the sensors were due for cleaning.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What did you do to your 924/944 today