Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cylinder Head Experts: What Happened To This Spark Plug?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 09:56 AM
Riff
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the bottom part of the electrode totally missing or is it beat up and bent into the body of the plug?
Old 04-05-2009, 01:30 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by R.J.
EXACTLY what I was planning on doing. I'm going to get a borescope in there after I stick a magnet and see if I can pull anything up.
Oh sorry, I was under the impression that it had already been runnning?

Originally Posted by Riff
Is the bottom part of the electrode totally missing or is it beat up and bent into the body of the plug?
Yeah, Like I sad its hard to tell from the pic. Not enough information here to make an accurate judgement.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:26 PM
mynus2
Intermediate

have you checked the full length of the intake all the way back to the air filter even? sometimes on front end collisions small pieces of little parts such as sensors,brackets etc.. can break free and some of these peices rae not magnetic in nature. i would just pull the engine apart. if all it is is fod then you got a running engine witha chance to go through it and do maintenance, hey and its only 50 bucks. but if its worse then you have a motor you can part out and maybe make a little extra,but if you dont check it out thoroughly and run it you could possibly kill any chances for either scenario.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:15 PM
R.J.
Advanced

Originally Posted by Riff
It's been bent up and pounded into the bottom of the plug.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:53 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny Player Special
I would be careful spinning that thing over with a damaged plug like that who knows whats in that cylinder. You should see if you can round up a boroscope,Matco Tools, Mac, even Home Depot sells one. They are great for doing inspections. They come with a little right angle mirror that will let you see the valves. Thing comes real handy when you find that cerain lowprice find.
The damage is already done, it isn't going to get any worse by turning the motor over. Something is messed up in that cylinder.

Quick Reply: Cylinder Head Experts: What Happened To This Spark Plug?