Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the 16v n/a better choice than the 8v ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 07:34 PM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm just guessing Eddie....it would make sense to think I've gained at least 20 HP with the chip and opened exhaust with a K & N.

My panties were riding and binding up this AM...but its all good brother, I'm chilled!
Old 01-27-2009, 08:31 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by ktel
I checked the car today... It was in great shape and ran really really strong especially on high - rpm. But the VIN number on the car was different from the VIN number on the car's license ! This is a common fact with old Porsches here On the car was a us spec VIN WPOZZZ94ZHN****** and on the license a euro one WPOAA0945HN******. The last 6 digits were the same! Does the engine number 78023** belongs to a 944 S engine ? I think I'll walk away from this car and continue my research.
The chassis VIN is always a ZZZ and the final VIN (on the A pillar in the USA) is not determined until the destination is known.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:31 PM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

--don't know the 8V's, but the S is a blast to drive above ~3800rpm. You'll have it there a lot.

Exhaust is different for the S, by the way (more expensive cat-back, with the resonator chamber), and it's hard to service the throttle, ref/speed sensor, and engine grounds since the intake layout is kind of screwy (really have to remove the intake manifold).

Automatic idle stabilization and round throttle cam are also nice plusses for the S.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:55 PM
rmconner80
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love how 8V owners dismiss the 16V S. "The 38hp difference is barely noticeable!!!"

Yeah right.

Then the same 8V owner turns around and talks in another post about how much more power they feel in the 8V car from the 0.7539 hp power bump of a K&N air filter

171 ft lbs of torques (thanks Jeremy) is actually not a bad number. And it is more than the 8V. Just like 188hp. Again, more than the 8V. And it feels pretty good througout the RPM range, but especially at the mid and higher RPMs. It gets to those RPMs fairly quickly for a 944. What's not to like? Why concentrate on what the car "should" be, and not what it "acutally is"? It's a more powerful 944, something everybody wants. Something everybody spends $$$$ trying to get with bolt ons.

Sure the S2 is more powerful. Sure the 968 beats that. Sure we could come up with a list of 10,000 newer, more modern cars that beat that. I like the 8V. But the S is a great car too, produced for only two years and in low numbers at that.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:11 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I checked the car today... It was in great shape and ran really really strong especially on high - rpm. But the VIN number on the car was different from the VIN number on the car's license ! This is a common fact with old Porsches here On the car was a us spec VIN WPOZZZ94ZHN****** and on the license a euro one WPOAA0945HN******. The last 6 digits were the same! Does the engine number 78023** belongs to a 944 S engine ? I think I'll walk away from this car and continue my research.
AFAIK, It's normal, don't worry! All 4 of my previous p-cars have had the same thing
Old 01-28-2009, 01:17 PM
ktel
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
The chassis VIN is always a ZZZ and the final VIN (on the A pillar in the USA) is not determined until the destination is known.
Is this true ? Can somebody provide me a photo evidence of the fact ? I didn't inspect the a-pillar VIN plate

Are these pictures showing something weird ??? Please help ! Is this a proper 944 s engine code, and shouldn't the displacement be 2479 ????
Old 01-28-2009, 02:28 PM
jstand22
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rmconner80
I love how 8V owners dismiss the 16V S. "The 38hp difference is barely noticeable!!!"

Yeah right.

Then the same 8V owner turns around and talks in another post about how much more power they feel in the 8V car from the 0.7539 hp power bump of a K&N air filter

171 ft lbs of torques (thanks Jeremy) is actually not a bad number. And it is more than the 8V. Just like 188hp. Again, more than the 8V. And it feels pretty good througout the RPM range, but especially at the mid and higher RPMs. It gets to those RPMs fairly quickly for a 944. What's not to like? Why concentrate on what the car "should" be, and not what it "acutally is"? It's a more powerful 944, something everybody wants. Something everybody spends $$$$ trying to get with bolt ons.

Sure the S2 is more powerful. Sure the 968 beats that. Sure we could come up with a list of 10,000 newer, more modern cars that beat that. I like the 8V. But the S is a great car too, produced for only two years and in low numbers at that.
Exactly, the S is a great car, and it is NOTICEABLY more powerful than an 8v, and the excuse that "it has more moving parts so it will break down more" is simply not true. The only major internal difference in the S is one extra camshaft and a tensioner/chain that everyone sh**s their pants when they talk about. If you check those at the specified intervals the car is just as reliable as any 8v. In fact I'll just come out and say it...the S can be more reliable. It has a better engine monitoring system, better ignition system, better idle control system, a better transmission, and more horsepower and torque. In my eyes the S is a better car.

And yes I have driven 8v cars, including a 2.7, and the S is a better car in my opinion. Understand that I'm not trashing on 8v cars, I love them too, there's not a 944 out there that I don't deeply appreciate. So please understand that this is just my opinion.

Ktel: The VIN on my S starts like this - - WP0AA09....
Old 01-28-2009, 02:32 PM
Catfood
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What makes a 944 a great car to drive is new shocks in all four corners and properly set up brakes. Most cars can do above 100 mph, but you lose your competitors in the turns. I found maintaining both cars was pretty similar in price.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:59 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 124 Posts

Are these pictures showing something weird ??? Please help ! Is this a proper 944 s engine code, and shouldn't the displacement be 2479 ????
The VIN looks typical, I don't know about the displacement but I do not see why that would be a big deal.

Chassis looks like a 1987 944S as per this page:
http://www.connact.com/~kgross/FAQ/944faq02.html

You can check the engine code tab, if you can see it, for the M44/40 944S motor but I reckon you can see that it's a 16v. I have seen engine numbers in a book somewhere but do not have that info handy.

If you look at it again, or another 944, just check the VIN tab and you will probably find it matches the paperwork and mostly matches the proto-vin chassis number WP0AZZZ... Good to check that to see if somehow the car or VIN has been altered.

Also check the option tag under the rear carpet and maybe look for the VIN tags on the front wings/fenders.

Good luck,
-Joel.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:24 PM
joonas
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Catfood
properly set up brakes.
What you mean with that?

Quick Reply: Is the 16v n/a better choice than the 8v ?