Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oh no I think I blew up my engine (no oil pressure)

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 09:40 PM
mezus
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a little OT, but I was wondering about using thick oil in the winter. Is there any downside? When it is 12 degrees F here my car still starts fine and I get no "!" light using 15-50 oil. I changed it in Nov., not thinking that it would get cold, and don't really want to change it out yet as the car has only been driven 500 miles since.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:42 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey don't want to be an *** but I don't want to change the subject right now....
Old 01-20-2009, 09:48 PM
SolReaver
Instructor

Default grades

QUICK side: 15 (in 15-40) is the grade the oil is cold, 40 is the grade when the oil is hot. 15-40 prob ok, (if a little heavy) you just need to warm it up a bit more on cold days.

Now in deference to YB, we return to our regular programming..
Old 01-20-2009, 10:04 PM
SolReaver
Instructor

Default random thoughts...

check this thread:
OPR Valve? No oil pressure on startup.

Damn, I cant link it..

Low oil pressure...This person fought the gremlin. he wound up replacing his oil thermostat. Good writeup with pics as to the logical steps he went through and details the pickup tube and seals.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...highlight=OPRV
Old 01-20-2009, 10:15 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check for stems and seeds in the filter.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:22 PM
Andy1212
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CPR
Old 01-20-2009, 10:28 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

jesus christ stop the jokes. this is not a happy day for me. I'm not sure if I should once more start a huge repair project or give up and sell it for 500 bucks and move on. I just spent 3 grand in clutch and torque tube replacement so I don't really feel ilke selling it for 500 bucks.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:29 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude all kidding aside, follow CPRs advice, really..

Sorry couldn't resist..

Seems that if it isn't for bad luck you wouldn't have any, first the coupler destroys your TT, then the lights and now the oil pressure.... Can't a kid catch a break.. come on someone sell him a break....

I hope this proves to be something easy and stupid, OPRV or the like, I hate to see someone go all that way to end in disgust and frustration...
Old 01-20-2009, 10:35 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

god damn it. I missed my university classes today because of this (hour drive so I couldn't catch the bus anylonger).

plus I was suppose to take this girl out to dinner this friday and now i have to tell her I don't have a car any longer lol.

I was thinking of parting the car and financing a brand new car with a warranty, was thinking of a 2008 vw rabbit 2.5l.

I really don't want to make monthly payments on a car though but so far owning a 944 has cost me 9000 dollars in 25,000 kms of driving (including purchase price) not including insurance or gas or oil changes and minor stuff. so seems cheaper owning a brand new car....
Old 01-20-2009, 10:36 PM
SolReaver
Instructor

Default Totally Duude

Originally Posted by CPR
Although comical, you may be on point. As there may be some "stuff" in the Pickup tube. The seal on the pickup tube may be bad as well. This is why YB's car aint taking a good draw for the bong hit. (my analogy for not priming). There could also be a crack in the tube (broken pipe).

However, In searching threads here and at my other site...It seems that the OPRV is a very likely candidate. They can stick, gum up, and apparently cause a no oil on startup condition. I was not aware of this. Also possible is the Oil thermostat, which usually presents as pressure drop.

YB: I am leaning towards the OPRV after a bit of research. However, the Oil and filter change are still a good idea. It now lets us know there may be some "stuff" in your pan. If you could crack open your old filter (after draining it) we could see if there is "stuff" in the rest of your system.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:41 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by SolReaver
Although comical, you may be on point. As there may be some "stuff" in the Pickup tube. The seal on the pickup tube may be bad as well. This is why YB's car aint taking a good draw for the bong hit. (my analogy for not priming). There could also be a crack in the tube (broken pipe).
QUICK HIT THE SHOTGUN, HIT THE SHOTGUN....
Old 01-20-2009, 10:42 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

thanks sol reaver. I just drained the oil but the oil seemed to drain slower than before out of my drain valve.....

oil looks ok to visible metal that I can see.

I can't really cut the oil filter......i'm using a KN oil filter and it's made out of extra thick metal not easy to cut

I'll change the oil tonight and if that doesn't do anything I'll get into the OPRV.

what do you mean no oil pressure on startup? it's not like i get no oil pressure for a couple seconds then it goes up there is zero oil pressure and doesn't go up when I rev it. obviously i'm not reving it hard or even running it for long because of this.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:44 PM
SolReaver
Instructor

Default Thank god for my beater

YB, my good friend. there is a way out of this dilemma. Get a "beater". I highly recommend the mid 90's to late 90's Saturn SL1, SL2 or even later SC2 They are cheap, good on gas, and live on kindness. you can pick one up for peanuts as they are "old". I swear to got these things don't die. You can beat em with a stick! the fenders are plastic and parking lot carriages bounce off! The 1.9 GM mill is unstoppable, just not in a fast or powerful way. They burn a little oil. Big whoop! Seriously. You need something to get around with and Porsche cars can get fussy. Hell you can pick up an old Saturn for the cost of a tuneup on these cars. (I did)
Old 01-20-2009, 10:44 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Yummybud924
god damn it. I missed my university classes today because of this (hour drive so I couldn't catch the bus anylonger).

plus I was suppose to take this girl out to dinner this friday and now i have to tell her I don't have a car any longer lol.

I was thinking of parting the car and financing a brand new car with a warranty, was thinking of a 2008 vw rabbit 2.5l.

I really don't want to make monthly payments on a car though but so far owning a 944 has cost me 9000 dollars in 25,000 kms of driving (including purchase price) not including insurance or gas or oil changes and minor stuff. so seems cheaper owning a brand new car....
If your car is getting you down, stay well away from a VW, trust me, I only kept mine for 6 months before dumping it ($2500 in non-warranted replacement parts) GRRR still mad over it... My Audi isn't any better, I have spent more on the Audi this year than the Porsche, because it takes a week or 2 to get the Porsche going once parts are ordered, and the Audi is usually same day turn around due to parts availability...
Old 01-20-2009, 10:46 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by SolReaver
YB, my good friend. there is a way out of this dilemma. Get a "beater". I highly recommend the mid 90's to late 90's Saturn SL1, SL2 or even later SC2 They are cheap, good on gas, and live on kindness. you can pick one up for peanuts as they are "old". I swear to got these things don't die. You can beat em with a stick! the fenders are plastic and parking lot carriages bounce off! The 1.9 GM mill is unstoppable, just not in a fast or powerful way. They burn a little oil. Big whoop! Seriously. You need something to get around with and Porsche cars can get fussy. Hell you can pick up an old Saturn for the cost of a tuneup on these cars. (I did)
Might not be a bad route to go, until the trans in the Saturn detonates because the PO liked doing neutral drops or burnouts....

Quick Reply: oh no I think I blew up my engine (no oil pressure)