Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

right high beam doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 03:37 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default right high beam doesn't work

okay so I tried the obvious, replaced the bulb, still doesn't work. took the fuse out and replaced it with another one still doesn't work.

when I turn on my headlights the both come on but when I turn on my high beams the driver side high beam comes on and the right side, passenger headlight is no longer on.

the both worked fine until recently so I'm not sure what it can be.

anyone know what else I can check?
Old 01-20-2009, 04:34 AM
dv8nxs944
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

possibly the high beam switch, idk
Old 01-20-2009, 08:02 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Check fuses 21 and 23, both lights use 1 relay, but have separate fuses after the relay in line with the light, 1 fuse for each beam, 21 and 23 should be the PS light, but cannot tell from the diagrams which is which (I believe it is 23 for high beam, but I am just looking at wiring diagram and not the actual car) My bet is a bad fuse..
Old 01-20-2009, 08:08 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

I know you changed the bulb... but did you swap bulbs left and right to see if the problem moved to the other bulb? It's not impossible that your replacement bulb is also bad...
Old 01-20-2009, 08:17 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Van
I know you changed the bulb... but did you swap bulbs left and right to see if the problem moved to the other bulb? It's not impossible that your replacement bulb is also bad...
Good one.... I went right to fuse, but have seen bad bulbs out of the box...
Old 01-20-2009, 01:18 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

hmm that would be a really small chance but I guess possible? both old and new bult only have the high beam blown out?? not likely but I'll try it.

I tried switching fuses but it's not the fuse, yeah I tried swithcing fuses for the right and left side and the bad side still woulnd't work so not a fuse.

could it be a bad switch? the switch should send power to both lights right....

the headlight has 3 prongs I guess one of them gets power when the high beam is switched on. so I could have a bad wire maybe?

this just happened sometimes this week though... before both high beams were working.

I have some weird electrical problems though. few weeks ago when I switched my headlights on my right side signal light in the front would only stay on without flashing and then I played around with the signal bulb and now it works.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:21 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

I was driving in thick fog on the freeway yesterday and could not see **** because I had my high beams on and just one side was on and I didn't know till I got home......

I know high beams are suppose to make fog worse but they seem to help me see further away which is a good thing as yesterday some guy had broken down on the freeway and the car was right in the middle of the highway in thick fog.....
Old 01-20-2009, 02:15 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Yummybud924
I was driving in thick fog on the freeway yesterday and could not see **** because I had my high beams on and just one side was on and I didn't know till I got home......

I know high beams are suppose to make fog worse but they seem to help me see further away which is a good thing as yesterday some guy had broken down on the freeway and the car was right in the middle of the highway in thick fog.....
Sounds like you are in for some electrical contact cleaning, concentrate on the grounds and work from there, what year car so I can ensure I am looking at the electrical schematics for your car, the ones I looked at earlier all had 1 lead from the switch, branched into 2 fuses for each light, try fuses 20 and 22 (other side) the chart doesn't indicate side...
Old 01-20-2009, 02:26 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Yummybud924
hmm that would be a really small chance but I guess possible? both old and new bult only have the high beam blown out?? not likely but I'll try it.

I tried switching fuses but it's not the fuse, yeah I tried swithcing fuses for the right and left side and the bad side still woulnd't work so not a fuse.

could it be a bad switch? the switch should send power to both lights right....

the headlight has 3 prongs I guess one of them gets power when the high beam is switched on. so I could have a bad wire maybe?

this just happened sometimes this week though... before both high beams were working.

I have some weird electrical problems though. few weeks ago when I switched my headlights on my right side signal light in the front would only stay on without flashing and then I played around with the signal bulb and now it works.
The three prongs on the lights are + low + high and ground, if one is working the switch is working, they branch after the switch but are individually fused, the low on that side works so the ground is working, if not the fuse it is wiring or wire contact issues, sounds like either bad fuse or corroded wiring...
Old 01-20-2009, 03:30 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

it's an 85.5. could be corroded wiring. I do wash the car often could be water got in there? I did wash the headlights I remember last week.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:35 PM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

My right side low beam failed.

The cause was a break in the wiring right where the headlight loom attaches to the body, next to the windshield washer fluid bottle.

Have a friend raise/lower the lights, and look to see where the wiring harness bends. After a certain number of cycles, these wires will break.

Before cutting it open, you might try pinching/squeezing the harness at that point, see if the wires temporarily reconnect and turn the lights on.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:21 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 89magic98
My right side low beam failed.

The cause was a break in the wiring right where the headlight loom attaches to the body, next to the windshield washer fluid bottle.
Same here.

Quick Reply: right high beam doesn't work