Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$50ish dollar paint job

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 03:04 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Has anyone applied a clear coat on top?
Old 01-02-2009, 03:19 PM
DJCarbine
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suppose you could clear it with a urethane clear, or even a high quality floor wax, as they are designed to be painted on and are self smoothing...

I don't think its needed with an enamel job though, just some wet sanding and keep it polished/waxed. Liquid glass is an acrylic finish "wax" you can get at autozone, its like 20-25 dollars for a bottle though, works great.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:43 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

dont put wax over enamel for a few months as thats about how long it'll take to fully cure.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:06 PM
Ecos
Advanced

You guys should read this thread for answers to questions on the Rustoleum paint job. They answer questions like what kind of Rustoleum to use, will a clear coat work, should I wax it, how long to cure, durability, etc.

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/...0&fpart=1&vc=1

It's 43 pages long and I've only made it to page 11 so far but lots of info.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:17 PM
DarylJ
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by marcusw03
Any of the paint gods know if it's smart to try and paint a car with a gun if you haven't before?
Figure out what paint you want to use. Buy some of the cheapest stuff you can get that is the same/similar, and a $25 HVLP gun from Harbor Freight. Then find some junk body panels and take an afternoon to just do it after you've done your research.

You absolutely can get a fairly decent job with just a little bit of practice.

But remember, paint is the easy/fast part. It's all about the surface prep. My surface prep/bodywork/etc was about 100-200 hours. I wasn't really tracking. Primer/base coat/clear coat was about 10-12
Old 01-02-2009, 07:13 PM
Whisper
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Impressive. I must confess that when I saw that picture of you applying paint with a roller, I thought, "This is going to look like crap."

Then I scrolled down some.

Looks nice. And I don't even like yellow.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:07 AM
tinklybear
Advanced

Originally Posted by krystar
yay! i have a rustoleum roller buddy!

i did mine this past summer
Nice. Two-tone looks killer.

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
Looks good...I did mine a few months ago
That color is sweeeeeet!

Originally Posted by RedRose
I wonder, if I did this in black, how many coats of clearcoat would it take to make it gorgeous again?
I have never seen any clearcoat results. Although many people seem to had asked, it seems like anyone that had done it didn't use any clearcoat. I remember a while ago I tried rattle canning my road bike. It looked decent until I added the clearcoat which made the paint get all wrinkly. There was a guy on the moparts forum that made his black job look AMAZING just by buffing with the right compounds

Originally Posted by jmd_forest
I'm not knocking your efforts, the car looks pretty good so far. But, for $109 you can get a 1 gallon single stage urethane paint kit (everything you need except for primer) from TCPGlobal.com in a wide variety of colors and theoretically get a much more professional looking paint job (depending on your persistence and skill). I used them for my son's 86 NA and it eventually (after 1 or 2 mishaps) came out extremely nice.

jmd_forest
Interesting. When you say everything do you mean all of the tools to do it with too?

Last edited by tinklybear; 01-03-2009 at 06:08 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 01-03-2009, 12:45 PM
DarylJ
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by tinklybear
Interesting. When you say everything do you mean all of the tools to do it with too?
Definitely not, but you can get away with a $120 compressor, $20 with of hose and connections, $30 or so paint gun, and somewhere to do it. Which could be as simple as a cheap car canopy/port which I've seen on sale for about $100.

So its definitely not as cheap, but if you have a compressor already, and maybe someplace to paint (like I did) you can get away pretty cheap. I bought $30 worth of 1 mil painter's plastic and some 3/4 PVC and hung it inside my pole barn with bailing wire.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:02 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Marcus, that sounds like a nice set up you have access to. I would imagine it could be done in a weekend if you start early, get the masking done and shoot paint on Saturday. Save Sunday for cure/clean up. Even better if you could trailer it in completely prepped. Do you know what kind of spray gun they have? Maybe you can find someone willing to give you some pointers on using that kind of gun and what to expect. Auto paint stores can be very helpful to a beginner and suggest paint/reducer that is easiest to work with.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:02 PM
halik
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DJCarbine
I suppose you could clear it with a urethane clear, or even a high quality floor wax, as they are designed to be painted on and are self smoothing...

I don't think its needed with an enamel job though, just some wet sanding and keep it polished/waxed. Liquid glass is an acrylic finish "wax" you can get at autozone, its like 20-25 dollars for a bottle though, works great.
I thought urethane clear over enamel is really bad?
Old 01-03-2009, 01:26 PM
VOoDOoGTX
Drifting

this goes under that list of things you will regret when you get a little older.

i did alot of things to a old car of mine that i really regret haha thought it was cool then.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:13 PM
theykallmekem
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Whisper
Impressive. I must confess that when I saw that picture of you applying paint with a roller, I thought, "This is going to look like crap."

Then I scrolled down some.

Looks nice. And I don't even like yellow.

lol same thoughts here lol i was a skeptic now im a believer
Old 01-03-2009, 06:26 PM
tinklybear
Advanced

Originally Posted by VOoDOoGTX
this goes under that list of things you will regret when you get a little older.

i did alot of things to a old car of mine that i really regret haha thought it was cool then.
I don't see any reason to regret it. I read about something a little off the wall and decided it could I work. I gave it a go and did made my car go from a beater with two shades of blue to a beaming yellow 'ferrari'(as the kid in the Lowes' Parking lot said). My neighbor came up and said "Wowee! look at that car!" and she did not believe it when i did it myself with a roller for 70 bucks. Life is about experiences and this has been a great one.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:57 PM
VOoDOoGTX
Drifting

what happens when that little kid or chick opens the doors and hood and notices that its two toned. i gues my standards on cars are a little higher than most. if your gonna do it do it right this just really bothers me.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:56 AM
genikz
Three Wheelin'

deleted

Quick Reply: $50ish dollar paint job