Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Castrol Syntec?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 12:13 PM
jstand22
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sorry to post about such a worn out, over-posted topic...I'm just trying to figure out which oil to use here during winter for my car.
Here are the reasons I'm making a bigger deal out of it than I normally would.

I just changed the head gasket, there was no milkshake, but I did watch coolant fall down the oil returns when I pulled the head. I did 2 oil + filter changes after the job to clean things out. So because of this I'm concerned about my rod bearings.

Also the engine has 175,000 miles on it, so again I'm concerned about my rod bearings.

Normally I would put 10-40 in for the winter, but I'm trying to keep a xx-50 oil for the higher hot viscosity. Which is why I turned to Syntec, 15w-50 is too heavy when it's cold here, so I need a 10w. However no one really makes a 10w that's not readily available in the US. So I found Syntec has a 5w-50 which seems like the way to go. I guess I should just do it because it's only going to be in there until about March (2,000 miles at the most). Then the 20w-50 goes back in.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:24 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jstand22
I'm sorry to post about such a worn out, over-posted topic...I'm just trying to figure out which oil to use here during winter for my car.
Here are the reasons I'm making a bigger deal out of it than I normally would.

I just changed the head gasket, there was no milkshake, but I did watch coolant fall down the oil returns when I pulled the head. I did 2 oil + filter changes after the job to clean things out. So because of this I'm concerned about my rod bearings.

Also the engine has 175,000 miles on it, so again I'm concerned about my rod bearings.

Normally I would put 10-40 in for the winter, but I'm trying to keep a xx-50 oil for the higher hot viscosity. Which is why I turned to Syntec, 15w-50 is too heavy when it's cold here, so I need a 10w. However no one really makes a 10w that's not readily available in the US. So I found Syntec has a 5w-50 which seems like the way to go. I guess I should just do it because it's only going to be in there until about March (2,000 miles at the most). Then the 20w-50 goes back in.

If you live in MA and the car is being used on the street in the winter you do not need a xxx-50 weight oil...
Just get the 0W-40 Mobil1( or similar full synthetic) and be done with it. You need to be concerned with getting the oil circulating as fast as possible when you crank it up in the AM hence the need of a 0W- xxx weight oil.
You're over thinking this...

Quick Reply: Castrol Syntec?