Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 part suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 11:11 PM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2 part suspension question

Ok, I installed my rear coilovers tonite, but after reading mike's thread i am VERY nervous, and want to make sure that i Torque everything properly. I torqued the main lower bolt to 85 ft. lbs and it didnt seat tight against the control arm, so i went to the manufacturer spec of 150 that was thrown around in the other thread and felt much better about that, but i could not find any reference to a torque for the bolt that actually holds the coilover on??? I judged by feel that 50 ft. lbs was suffiecent, and didnt want to go crazy till i knew for fact the proper torque.

Second question. I have heard in the past that using delrin on the sway bars is fine but you need to leave part of it rubber so nothing binds, is using 1 rubber riser and 1 delrin adequate, or do i need to also make the endlink rubber if the center is delrin?

Thanks, Mark
Old 10-30-2008, 02:04 PM
marky522
Drifting

Come on no suggestions...

Mark
Old 10-30-2008, 02:13 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Use center delrin bushings, rubber outers.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:33 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Mark, the Racer's Edge lower shock mounts/bolts come with bolts that have a cross-hole drilled in the head. This is for safety wire - a good idea.

From the other threads - especially with the Ground Control mounts, make sure the shoulders are FULLY seated against the control arm. A good way to test is to see if you can slide a piece of cigarette pack cellophane BETWEEN the shoulder and the control arm. This cellophane is 0.0005" (half of one one-thousandth).

To answer your 2nd question... you want to use delrin mounts for the stock sway bars? What about the drop links?
Old 10-30-2008, 06:47 PM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 98 Posts

Per workshop manuals:
Shock absorber to Body (top mount) 45 ft/lbs
Shock absorber to Steel trailing arm 45 ft/lbs
Shock absorber to Aluminum trailing arm 91 ft/lbs

Per Racers Edge: (thanks Van)
Racers Edge Lower Shock Mount Bolt 150 ft/lbs
Old 10-30-2008, 07:05 PM
marky522
Drifting

Originally Posted by Van
Mark, the Racer's Edge lower shock mounts/bolts come with bolts that have a cross-hole drilled in the head. This is for safety wire - a good idea.

From the other threads - especially with the Ground Control mounts, make sure the shoulders are FULLY seated against the control arm. A good way to test is to see if you can slide a piece of cigarette pack cellophane BETWEEN the shoulder and the control arm. This cellophane is 0.0005" (half of one one-thousandth).

To answer your 2nd question... you want to use delrin mounts for the stock sway bars? What about the drop links?
Ok, i will safety wire them, that isnt a problem, i was quite generous with the blue loc-tite... But any extra precautions cant hurt.

For the front sway bars i plan on using the delrin for the sway bars, the two center points, and one of the droplink bushings, the other droplink being rubber and the outers being rubber. My question is do i need to use that much rubber, or can i use 2 delrin pieces for the drop links and just leave the end bushing rubber. For the rear i am using the delrin kit from Paragon that uses aluminum blocks instead of the factory straps, and Paragons adjustable drop links.

Any suggestions appreciated...

Mark
Old 10-30-2008, 07:50 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

I have the Tarret adjustable sway bars - and those use delrin bushings and ball-joint drop links (heim joints). Obviously, those are all solid joints - there is no flexing going on - and it works fine.

Are you thinking about a set of Rennbay's sway bar mount stiffeners? I would use those.

My hunch is, you're better off with rubber where the drop link connects to the bar, but delrin where the drop link connects to the control arm.

Because the bar will pivot (like when you jack up the car) the angle with the drop link will change dramatically and might cause the delrin to break. Ideally you should put on an after market front sway bar that is designed for solid mounting.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:19 PM
marky522
Drifting

Originally Posted by mj951
Per workshop manuals:

Per Racers Edge: (thanks Van)
Racers Edge Lower Shock Mount Bolt 150 ft/lbs
Thanks, I am the factory (lol) but i still dont have the torque that i need. The 150 is the main bolt to the control arm, i need the torque for the bolt that holds the coil-over to the bolt attached to the control arm.

Mark
Old 10-30-2008, 08:21 PM
marky522
Drifting

Originally Posted by Van
I have the Tarret adjustable sway bars - and those use delrin bushings and ball-joint drop links (heim joints). Obviously, those are all solid joints - there is no flexing going on - and it works fine.

Are you thinking about a set of Rennbay's sway bar mount stiffeners? I would use those.

My hunch is, you're better off with rubber where the drop link connects to the bar, but delrin where the drop link connects to the control arm.

Because the bar will pivot (like when you jack up the car) the angle with the drop link will change dramatically and might cause the delrin to break. Ideally you should put on an after market front sway bar that is designed for solid mounting.

Just my 2 cents.

Thats what i was thinking, but at least Paragon doenst offer the outer delrin bushings for anything but the 30mm bar. For now i am going to run my 26.8 mm bar till i have them money to get the 968 M030 bars.

Mark
Old 10-30-2008, 10:21 PM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by marky522
Thanks, I am the factory (lol) but i still dont have the torque that i need. The 150 is the main bolt to the control arm, i need the torque for the bolt that holds the coil-over to the bolt attached to the control arm.

Mark
Oh man, preaching to the choir I am...I'm surprised RE does not give this value with their bolts. I have not ordered my coilovers yet so can't help, but also curious. Don't forget to post up some pics once complete.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:19 AM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Per workshop manuals:
50 ft/lbs should be adequate, but going slightly higher won't hurt. You're threading a steel bolt into a steel adapter, with some saftey wire it should be fine. Just check it after a few drives to make sure it hasn't attempted to back out.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:22 AM
marky522
Drifting

Originally Posted by 2BWise
50 ft/lbs should be adequate, but going slightly higher won't hurt. You're threading a steel bolt into a steel adapter, with some saftey wire it should be fine. Just check it after a few drives to make sure it hasn't attempted to back out.
Perfect, thats the info i was looking for.

Mark

Quick Reply: 2 part suspension question