Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you do when...

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 10:51 PM
SalzundPfeffer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What do you do when...

Rant warning. Sorry if this isn't the correct forum for this.

Driving home on the interstate this afternoon when I notice a Mustang GT convertible closing fast in the rear view filled with a couple insecure 20-something douche bags. I immediately knew where this was headed.

They proceed to come up on my left and begin to pace me. In my lack of originality, I continue to look straight ahead and don't even acknowledge the stupid looks on their faces, trying to get a reaction out of me.

As much as I wanted to slam the throttle, or crank the wheel into them and watch them die a fiery death, I knew my car had nothing left in it at 70 mph, my wife and dog in the car, around 100 lbs of gear and the air conditioner on.

After about 30 seconds of the stone wall, larry, moe and curly slammed the throttle up to probably 120mph plus, wasting precious fossil fuel in the process, before slamming on the brakes due to another car in the left lane.

I would like to think I did the logical thing. Performance aside, I didn't want to risk killing the entire family either. Or give these guys the pleasure...

I love my car, not because it looks cool (thats a plus), but because I love the satisfaction I get out of wrenching on it myself and keeping it running and appreciating the car for what it is. Not for the reason these superficial idiots are driving around in a mustang convertible.

Sorry again for the rant. I don't mean to offend anyone who likes or owns a mustang. I am sure you own it for the same reasons I have my 944. I probably sound like I have anger management issues, but this board is my outlet. Maybe I should start blogging or something...

What would you guys have done? Or have you done in the past when in a situation like this???

'84 N/A
Old 09-21-2008, 11:29 PM
DVC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nah, you made the right choice. Think of it as a compliment though. Your car is cool looking and they wanted to run it.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:30 PM
krystar
Drifting

i praise u for yer self control and not bowing to the heat of the moment. just remember, they're driving around in a car that has all but lost its image. the modern mustang is a pale compared to the old vintage 60's mustang.

besides, they're probably driving in the crappy v6 anyway.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:42 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Just yell "you're missing a pedal."
Old 09-21-2008, 11:45 PM
JayRogers
Instructor

You have more tact and smarts than I. The true Masshole way involves single (hand) digits, lots of yelling (windows rolled up of course), and swerving. However I enjoy the "Badge drop" I had a dink in a VW gti with 3 asshats (can I say that here?) riding with him. They were next to me looking to race. I just shrugged and threw out the wallet badge... Never knew a gti could go from 80 to 30 and make an exit ramp in under 100 feet and 2 seconds

But all it all you did the right thing. Just smile to yourself knowing your car is better and your manhood is bigger.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:50 PM
Lizard944
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I usually give a look that says; "are you kidding me?" or "why bother." Several months ago I had a couple of chumps roll up to me at a stop light in a riced-out Honda. I saw their passenger window roll down in my peripheral vision and the driver yelled out; "I could kick your a$$." I said; " Ok, go home and get your car and I'll meet you back here." The passenger started laughing and they just drove off. Sometimes doing nothing makes a bigger statement.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:57 AM
Daily944
Racer

Originally Posted by Lizard944
Sometimes doing nothing makes a bigger statement.
Totally.

My favorite is to look over and laugh, then continue what I'm doing.

Granted I do have a ricer.. I'm one that likes to take it to the track.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:40 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Congratulations, you have something they utterly lack - maturity!

'Course, you can always waggle your pinky at them...
Old 09-22-2008, 10:31 AM
eniac
Drifting

Typically when cruising on the highway at 70mph, I just ease in front of any asshats in Mustangs (why is it always Mustangs trying to race me?). A simple downshift with a short burst of throttle(2-3 seconds) is quite enough to end these "situations". Most people back off once they see my tires spin while accelerating from a 70 mph crusing speed. I had a new Cobra want to race me on the highway last summer. I did exactly this. This guy was cool about it though. He gave me a thumbs up and eased away kinda like a "oh Wow!, ok uhh nevermind".

Ignoring these people is really the best thing to do as the OP did. I built my car to have fun with it, this is part of the fun.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:09 AM
golfduke
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JayRogers
You have more tact and smarts than I. The true Masshole way involves single (hand) digits, lots of yelling (windows rolled up of course), and swerving. However I enjoy the "Badge drop" I had a dink in a VW gti with 3 asshats (can I say that here?) riding with him. They were next to me looking to race. I just shrugged and threw out the wallet badge... Never knew a gti could go from 80 to 30 and make an exit ramp in under 100 feet and 2 seconds

But all it all you did the right thing. Just smile to yourself knowing your car is better and your manhood is bigger.

I approve of this method haha.... Now, only if I could legally obtain one of these "special" badges hahaha.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:43 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Street racing is stupid. And it's beyond stupid if you've got less than 160HP at the crank!

Maybe I'm just oblivious to it, but I can't think of more than one or two times in the past decade that I've had anyone has made an effort to get me into a street race.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:55 AM
krystar
Drifting

Originally Posted by golfduke
I approve of this method haha.... Now, only if I could legally obtain one of these "special" badges hahaha.
as long as it's not a real police badge yer fine heh.

you can legally get a badge that doesn't impersonate a real police entity. get like...Gotham City Police Department. or Racoon City STARS.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:57 AM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

I like to do the OPPOSITE. I like to cruise up on people that think their cars are hot **** in my toyota pickup. This thing would be lucky to run a 17-18 second 1/4 mile. It's got 114hp stock, and a flowmaster 40 series exhaust with no cat. It's loud.

I LOVE to go up and drop it in 2nd at 40mph and wrap it out to 55-60mph in 2nd. The look the people give me is pricless. I did it to a Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 tonight, and he pulled back up, and paced me then passed. As he passed, I made a jacking off motion while almost falling the to floor board in laughter.

I like doing it to people so much, because those that don't know me, think "Look at this dumbass in his pos toyota pickup thinking it's cool"...when in reality, I have a very nice '87 951 and a nice '91 S2 residing at home. People are quick to judge others (such as people judging me and my pos toyota), where I really have a very nice, pretty quick car at home. If only they knew!

What's even better? Some of these people are so hurt by me doing this, they feel the need to PROVE their car can beat my truck. haha, as if I didn't know that before hand. It's the reason I love doing it. I love to see if I can get a rise out of people.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:58 AM
Landseer
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 205 Posts

Something simlar happened to me yesterday afternoon at 5 pm in Midlothian Virginia, near Richmond.

Except the car was a blacked-out Charger.

And the driver was a cop (I had polarized sunglasses and could see the blue light mounted on his windshield in my rear view mirror.)

He ran right up on me, tried to bait me, I moved over (running speed limit of 35), he hung there, then jetted off through traffic, trying the same thing on a mustang further in front of me. Stupidity plus power trip
Old 09-23-2008, 07:27 AM
NCporsche
Chainsaw
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by SalzundPfeffer

...my wife and dog in the car, around 100 lbs of gear and the air conditioner on.

Would you have done the same thing if you had been in the car w/o the wife, dog, and gear?

Quick Reply: What do you do when...