Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How light weight can you build a 944 ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 05:30 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
IMO you should stick to GTS2, you won't have the HP to run down the straights with the GTS3 front runners, even if you got the cars weight down to 1600.

Carl Picelle has done very well running a lightweight 944 against the heavier 968s in GTS2 in the NASA Great Lakes Region.

OF COURSE - if you want to drop a 968 engine in your car, I have one for sale !!!!
Carls' car is nice, I had seen pics of it before. It appears (I could be wrong) he still has the stock glass and rear hatch on, he could drop some weight there. Does he post on here ? I would love to discuss his car with him some.

I had planned on putting the spare tire area on a diet. Some other plans also.

I know I will lose in the straight's but I plan on racing with corners
My home track is TWS and it has a couple of long straights, it will be a challenge no doubt, but it's the challenges that make it all more fun to do. If it were easy it wouldn't be any fun !

How much for the 968 engine ? With wires, control unit etc ? I won't go there just yet, although I wouldn't rule it out.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:18 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
FYI - 2 years ago at Mid Ohio Nationals I saw a couple of Spec 944's hitting 147 rwhp - not sure how legal they were.
Those were not 944 spec cars. In 2007 there were 2 944 spec cars at nationals and they were sub 140 whp cars. In 2006 there were no 944 spec cars at nationals.

There are 944 cup cars that are allow more mods and these could be 147 whp.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:54 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M758
Those were not 944 spec cars. In 2007 there were 2 944 spec cars at nationals and they were sub 140 whp cars. In 2006 there were no 944 spec cars at nationals.

There are 944 cup cars that are allow more mods and these could be 147 whp.

That could be, I had thought they were 944 Spec but it could have been 944 Cup. I wouldn't have even known the hp since I was there with a GTS3 996 but they just happened to be on the dyno in front of us so I got to see what they were doing.
What do the Cup cars do to get 147 rwhp ?
Old 08-13-2008, 03:42 AM
mattipuh
Rennlist Member

Default replacing stock hood with glassfibre hood

I'm seriously thinking of updating my 968 with glassfibre hood (OEM has dents which cannot be repaired). I'm building car towards Club Sport style, thus weight savings would suit well to my plan.

Any pro's and con's why I should / should not do this update?

issues what I can come up to, are
- how to manage heat from 3.0 16V (it does heat alot, can glassfibre hood manage this, or do I need insulations etc.)
- is there any problems with fitting the CF hood? I've heard AIR and Getty Design make good glass fibre hoods. What about V-Zweeden (would be closer to Finland)
- What is the total gain in weight savings when replacing the OEM hood with fibre hood?
- Any other issues I should be worried about?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-13-2008, 09:38 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

I've not had any problems with my 968 engine and heat and I'm racing in the SE US where we see temps of near 100oF and 95% humidity. I would check your cooling system to make sure that everything is working fine. Make sure that you run the undertray, that helps to funnel air through the system correctly.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:28 AM
mattipuh
Rennlist Member

Thanks for your comments Lemming. I think I'll head to the glassfibre hood way, I want to get car lighter anyways. I will order the hood from V-zweeden, I'll update my experiences when the car is ready!(maybe in couple of months..)
Old 08-13-2008, 08:25 PM
loftygoals
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It will be fun to see where this project goes.

Oh and since we are talking weights, my 83 Spec car is at 2440, but still has working head lights, power windows, heater core, heavy muffler, original starter, huge Wal-Mart battery, over built cage (is there really such a thing), and all of the original glass.

-bj
Old 08-13-2008, 10:42 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by loftygoals

Oh and since we are talking weights, my 83 Spec car is at 2440, but still has working head lights, power windows, heater core, heavy muffler, original starter, huge Wal-Mart battery, over built cage (is there really such a thing), and all of the original glass.

-bj
I too am interested in how this progresses as I am currently building one for next season. 944na, so spec or GTS2. I like the "any mods" and power to weight classes in GTS as it basically lets you build the racecar you want and still race competitively.

Anyone have any input on how competitive the GTS2 class is in FL region? I see 8 races at 2 venues with fastest 6 counting, but how many race in the GTS2 class? I would think GTS3 is a lot more competitive.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:53 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by loftygoals

-bj
2440 seems like a decent # with still keeping all those items, I will be doing away with all of those on mine since I am going for less than 2K, I will update as the project comes along.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:20 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gina.kane
I too am interested in how this progresses as I am currently building one for next season. 944na, so spec or GTS2. I like the "any mods" and power to weight classes in GTS as it basically lets you build the racecar you want and still race competitively.

Anyone have any input on how competitive the GTS2 class is in FL region? I see 8 races at 2 venues with fastest 6 counting, but how many race in the GTS2 class? I would think GTS3 is a lot more competitive.
Yes, I must say that I too like the fact that I am open to do any mods I like to so long as it meets the power to weight ratio. I must say that it really provides for competitive racing as well !

I also agree that GTS3 does seem to have more people in it currently although I guess if we all build cars then GTS2 will grow also. My plan is to get into GTS2 and then pull out all I can to see how competeive I can get into GTS3. It seems to be a stretch for a 944 NA to get into GTS3 where it can run with the top cars although I am going to attempt it anyway.
I will update the progress with the car, as I would love to hear about anyone else doing similiar things.
Thanks,
Viking
Old 08-14-2008, 09:16 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Yes, I must say that I too like the fact that I am open to do any mods I like to so long as it meets the power to weight ratio. I must say that it really provides for competitive racing as well !
The downside, be prepared to open your wallet Because GTS is not a "spec" series, people will spend big $$$$ making their car as fast as they can.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:36 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lemming
The downside, be prepared to open your wallet Because GTS is not a "spec" series, people will spend big $$$$ making their car as fast as they can.
This from the guy with a 968 motor stuffed into a 924S

I know many can out spend me, but I have built a few cars before so hopefully I'll get in the game with more experience vs more $$$$
If I can do that then I can lay out an outline for many to follow to get into GTS3 with a reasonably priced reliable car.

Are you going to the NASA Nationals this year ?
I will be there wrenching on a GTS3 996, let me know if you are I would love to check out your car and talk.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:49 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Are you going to the NASA Nationals this year ?
I will be there wrenching on a GTS3 996, let me know if you are I would love to check out your car and talk.
I was signed up but had to back out due to work travel
Old 08-16-2008, 07:23 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Anyone need any interior parts in black ? Flat mirrors, left or right ? Headlight motor and linkage ? If so I am going to put them all be on Ebay soon unless someone wants to offer me something for them here.

My project is getting lighter and lighter ......
Old 08-16-2008, 10:22 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Ok, I only worked for a couple hrs today but got it down to 2590lbs with very little work. I will work on it some more tomorrow and try to get below 2500. Headlights, all body panels, and glass are still in so lots to go.
Looking to start a sub 2k club soon !

Quick Reply: How light weight can you build a 944 ?