Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with title please...

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 04:03 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by MichelleJD
I'm assuming there was a bill of sale?
how big of a hassle is the good faith purchaser for value route in IL. I wouldnt even try it in NY with all the bureaucratic bottlenecks the time would outweigh the benefits.

marky, there is always the for sale as track car route.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:11 PM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah Tom it may come to that, the interior is kinda beat up so i could pull it out clean it up some and try and off it. Hopefully i could turn it for enough to cover a car with maybe a bad timing belt.... Ill have to think about it.

Mark
Old 07-29-2008, 10:47 AM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Forgot to add, the body shop should have gotten a garage-keeper lien then applied for a title.

If it was then sold to a junkyard / scrap dealer, the junkyard/scrapper should have sent the title back to the DMV to notify them that the car was junked, and the DMV would mark their title record (BTW, that's where CarFax would find out about it)

In real life, the body shop could have skipped getting the title and just sold it to a junkyard, or the junker could have skipped sending in the title to the DMV (this happens a lot).

Like Joel suggested, you should be able to post a bond for the car to get a title. Here's a link showing what one NC owner did, and a link to your NC's DMV that shows the steps/forms
Old 07-29-2008, 01:34 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that probably worked with better known history. dmv folks aren't stupid

it's a good thing you only have $300 in it.

it sounds like it was stolen from someone along the way and passed on and on and.....
good luck

95sl320dd
Old 07-29-2008, 02:35 PM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by bearone
it sounds like it was stolen from someone along the way and passed on and on and.....
good luck
Originally Posted by alordofchaos
According to NICB, the VIN hasn't been reported as stolen or totalled (by insurance) yet

Lots of reasons a car doesn't have a title, especially if it was purchased as parts from a junkyard/scrapyard.

Interesting thing, that you made me think about... if the junkyard never turned in the title to the DMV as "scrapped", you could theoretically get a clean title out of the deal (not a rebuilt or salvage title)
Old 07-29-2008, 02:49 PM
pjburges
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you've put work into this thing, dont be afraid to put your own mechanic's lien on the vehicle. That was the case with one of my scrap 944's. I put 100's of hours of specialized labor into it before I cemented the salvage title in my name. I wasn't too concerned about the PO jumping out of nowhere because he'd legally abandoned the vehicle for many years, I had a bill of sale from an impound lot, and the magnitude of cost of the lien would have made him not want it back. (It far exceded the value of the car - about 20X over) hehe.

Not to mentions the thousands in fees the impound lot would have wanted should he have ever shown his face again....
Old 07-29-2008, 04:02 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

As for why the title is missing, here is something similar:
i bought a camaro years ago for $50 and a pizza - or was it $100 im not sure, i bought two cars from this neighbor who is a multi millionaire that drives cars till they are worth $50 and a pizza. This was his daughters car that sat in front of the house 5 years after she moved to manhattan.

The title had a bank lien on it. It was paid off years before i bought the car. I sold the car a few months later and it was resold and resold till it was scrapped with the bank lien on the title. each purchaser assumed the lienholder wasnt going to try and collect the $ owed - which was $0 but there were no papers to prove it.

Quick Reply: Need help with title please...