Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi 1.8T 20V into 944?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 09:17 PM
VirginiaF1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All the best of wishes OP..
I do recall my official Audi of America recall notice arriving in the mail for my 2001 A4 1.8t engine oil sludge issue..
Find a good example with clean oil passages and go for it mate.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:12 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by catamax944
Finally! I have been wanting to see this done for so long!

He mentions the similarity to the diesel block in that thread, too, which has been a secret dream of mine for years.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:37 PM
Chunkerz
Rennlist Member

Damn, he has about a foot of clearance in front of the engine. That should make timing belt changes easy.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:50 AM
Player0
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Very interesting thread. I've been hauling kids in a 1.8T Passat for about 5 years now, APR chipped with the wimpy K03 pushing maybe 190-200HP. I'd love to see the engine in a much lighter car. It's definitely a good motor but the torque is really missing in the low RPMs so you really have to abuse the heck out of it. In a lighter car this should work out okay.

Someone else mentioned how Porsche like the engine is and I agree. Having done vacuum lines, sensors, and repair work in both cars there are a lot of similarities actually. There are a lot of fiddly bits that go wrong on these engines.

The oil sludge issue is real and should be addressed by getting the deepest oil pan possible as well as running synthetics. A friend of mine got a warranty replacement on his A4 motor when the engine up and died from the sludge issue. I'm surprised they did it honestly.

Someone should try a 2.0T swap too.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:13 PM
Papa Stone
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I really like this. It looks like the engine placement of a S2000. The
Old 02-26-2013, 01:11 PM
Chunkerz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pontifex4
Finally! I have been wanting to see this done for so long!

He mentions the similarity to the diesel block in that thread, too, which has been a secret dream of mine for years.
If you do the swap make sure you post a ton of pictures. I would love to put the diesel engine from my VW in my 944.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:43 AM
sledgehammer
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you like it, build it! It'd be cool. Seems weird to put in a smaller engine to me though.
Believe me there's nothing weird in that Just got my 1.8T running and after supercharged S2 engine it's totally differend kind of beast and not in a bad way. Somebdy complained about vacuum hoses and such... I have four separate hoses. One for the dump and wastegate, one for the hvac, one for the ecumaster ecu and final one for the fuel pressure regulator.

Last edited by sledgehammer; 04-22-2019 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:54 PM
paredown
Advanced

Originally Posted by sledgehammer
Believe me there's nothing weird in that Just got my 1.8T running and after supercharged S2 engine it's totally differend kind of beast and not in a bad way. Somebdy complained about vacuum hoses and such... I have four separate hoses. One for the dump and wastegate, one for the hvac, one for the ecumaster ecu and final one for the fuel pressure regulator.
Wow-that looks tidy! Do you have a build thread where you documented your choices? (I see some nice fabrication there...)
Old 04-22-2019, 07:10 PM
RooferJoe
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sledgehammer

i wish someone could help me build something like that for my Porsche 944 . if you dont mind me asking what kind of $$ did you have to spend to get it looking that good. Also are you in canada by anychance
Old 04-22-2019, 07:46 PM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

Location: Formerly the DPRK, now seeking political asylum in Oregon
Received 368 Likes on 239 Posts

Looks great! Love to see some more pix.
I've been working on mine for about 1 1/2 years now... It's almost done!
All the hard work is finished. Working with a running, stock mock-up motor until the swap is complete, once that runs, I'll assemble the race motor.
Having it run this weekend might be a little optimistic, but not ridiculously so.
For some reason can't get the $#@^! pix off my phone.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:42 AM
sledgehammer
Intermediate

Some of the pictures are in my Instagram and i'm planning to gather all of them in flickr. That happens when i get it inspected (MOT).
https://www.instagram.com/jakoavain.wordpress/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/157042538@N02/

Simple list of parts.
Drivetrain: RWD-motorsport 1.8T belhousing mated to a one inch shorter torque tube. Clutchmasters A4 B5 flywheel, RS4 B5 pressure plate, sachs performance friction plate from National clutch uk (porsche splines and 240mm plate), Howe T5 throwout bearing
Engine: AEB block and ADR big port head with supertech valves and ADR camshafts. Wiseco forged 9.7 pistons, Simens deka 830cc injectors, pro race engineering rods, ACL bearings, modified stainless manifold, T4 garret with billet compressor, boost products intercooler.

Now when this project is almost finished i can say that nothing fits in there and everything must be modified. There's lack of space everywhere except in the front of the engne. The whole project went south after i decided to use RS4 pressure plate and clutchmasters flywheel. It takes too much space and i had really big problems to find a bellhousing for that combination. In the beginning of the project i didn't want to use transverse gearbox belhousing because i wanted to avoid cutting the chassis and maintain it in original shape. Today i would be happy to chop a piece off it and make some room for the starter motor. On the other hand RS4 clutch is very nice to drive. It is as light as any clutch in regular cars and it can hadle over 600Nm of torque.

In a couple of weeks i'm going to a dyno session and then i'll have some numbers. Propably quite close to 400hp. I'm running it with E85
Old 04-23-2019, 10:46 AM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

Thanks for sharing the photos!
Loved the comments under one of 'em...
"When this f*cker is done, so am I."
Pretty much sums it up!
I think the amount of work required to complete something like this is chronically underestimated. Which explains why most of these swaps go unfinished...
I used an adapter plate to the stock bellhousing, stock size A4 f'wheel/PP, Golf starter with a custom bracket, adapter plates to stock motor mounts and brackets.
These are the most recent that I could share... right now the engine is back out, installing all the components for installation.
Should go back in Friday. It will take some time to get the engine management (AEM) set up. It's all wired, but still nee to set the basic parameters.
I was planning to make it run before posting anything, then show more details of the build.

Old 04-23-2019, 12:11 PM
sledgehammer
Intermediate

How did you manage to put that manifold in your engine bay. I bought that from skunk but in the end i couldn't use it because of clearance issues with hood. I cant't drop my block lower because passenger side of it is really close to the steering rack. After i noticed that i had to fabricate one by myself. I'm goind to do a better looking version at some point but right now it isn't on top of my prority list. For cooling i have Pierburg electric pump with tecomotive tiny cwa controller.

https://tecomotive.com/store/en/bund...mp-tinycwa-kit
Old 04-23-2019, 01:07 PM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

I have the engine standing up a little straighter, which dictated the brake booster delete. Throttle body hits the hood, but a small blister (ala TR4!) will cover it.
Using the Davies, Craig electric pump. Also found a SPA Turbo exh man for the GT28 turbo, bolts on, clears everything, but only fits with the turbo exh facing F. If I could find a reverse rotation turbo it would be ideal, but I found a tight radius stainless U bend that tucks up above the rack.
Staggering amount of time and effort....
F*cker better work.
Cheers!
Old 04-23-2019, 01:11 PM
sledgehammer
Intermediate

If it helps here comes the basic settings for the ignition:

Primary trigger:
VR-sensor (original)
60-2 trigger wheel
trigger edge rising
first trigger tooth 3
trigger angle 60deg
next edge rejection angle 3deg

Secondary trigger:
Hall sensor (usually needs pullup resistor)
falling edge

With this setup I have sequential spark and injection. I have verified settings with timing lamp. Tuning software shows that it is in sync.

Edit:
With this setup you don't even need power steering. At the moment I don't have it but I'm planning to install electric pump from Mercedes A. 225-250lbs springs are fine for this setup too. Now I have ground control shocks with 225/8" springs and ride is very nice for street. I ordered 9" long springs because I wanted to be sure that I have all the travel for the shock. 250/8" could be good too.

Quick Reply: Audi 1.8T 20V into 944?