Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upper Strut Mount Removal Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 04:15 AM
Dinman_UT
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upper Strut Mount Removal Question

Hey guys,

I've spent a week or so researching the proper technique in removing the upper strut mounts. I'm hoping that there is a way to replace these without using a spring compressor, with all the stories I've heard of springs flying off and killing people. A Google search netted a thread on a VW forum on how to perform this procedure on a Golf or something, but I don't think it would transfer to a 944.

On this forum, I found a thread where Kuhl 951 describes something similar to this, but without any details. It's post #31 here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...uhl+951+shocks

If anyone has some advise on this, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:14 AM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you remove the center nut on the strut mount, you will shoot the strut across the floor knocking over whatever is in the way, and maybe putting a hole in whatever wall it finds. Not to mention you will have NO way to put it all back together.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:55 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you have a decent sized press? If not, then you don't have many options. Auto Zone "rents" tools for free (you pay the cost of the tool and they refund your money when you return it) so you don't have to buy a spring compressor. Or you can take them to a shop and let them change the springs over for you.

I have yet to find a vehicle that compresses the spring enough to make it fly across the room when unbolted. I lay the strut on the ground, put my foot on top of the spring and run the nut off with an impact. I wear work boots and I don't do it inside of the shop or near vehicles. I've been doing it this way for decades, but its not for everyone. I compress the strut assembly in a 20-ton air-over-hydraulic press.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:56 AM
J Silverman
Burning Brakes

Remove the top nut with the car on the ground. Jack the car up until the spring is uncompressed. When youre done replacing the mount then put the shaft of the strut back into the mount, lower the car and tighten the top mount. Youll essentially be using the car as a spring compressor.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:59 AM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've shot struts across the shop before, no more than 10 feet or so, I was trying to get the point across that it should not be done that way. +1 on renting a compressor, or taking it to a shop. They can have it done for you in less than a 1/2 hour, they do them all the time and have all the right tools.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:03 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts

These links might help for working on the struts without a spring compressor

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...t=strut+insert

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...t=strut+insert
Old 07-08-2008, 10:12 AM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A DIY weekend mechanic shouldn't do it without the proper tools. A guru like Steve can.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:20 AM
J Silverman
Burning Brakes

You wont shoot anything across the floor if you use the method I described. Like I said you are essentially using the car as a spring compressor. I have spring compressors but they sit and collect dust in my tool box because they arent necessary.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:49 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by harrisonrick
A DIY weekend mechanic shouldn't do it without the proper tools. A guru like Steve can.

Just my 2 cents.

For one I'm a DIY'er and no Guru. There is nothing that can 'shoot' out once the strut top nut is removed if the car is 'on the ground'. I suppose if someone was running real tall 400# springs it is possible that removing the spring after jacking it up could be harder. Anyone that has done it this way will confirm that the spring will be unloaded after the car is jacked up and the control arm is hanging. Even for full strut replacement rather than inserts only I feel the linked method is safer and much faster.

IMO a DIY'er with a 2-rod spring compressor is like an ape with a loaded handgun...much more potential for disaster.

Originally Posted by SpideySlave944
If you remove the center nut on the strut mount, you will shoot the strut across the floor knocking over whatever is in the way, and maybe putting a hole in whatever wall it finds. Not to mention you will have NO way to put it all back together.
How can the strut shoot across the floor when you remove the nut if it's still on the car?
Old 07-08-2008, 11:37 AM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

hmmm...never looked at this job that way before. You`ve convinced me. I have new camber plates on their way... FWIW I`m going to try this method.

So if I read correctly, undo the nut, jack up the car, undo the 4 nuts that hold the upper strut mount in, and replace. Installation is the reverse of the removal, etc, etc.

Thanks guys!

Sorry to hijack.

ps...I think Spidey was referring to having the entire strut assembly removed, then loosening the nut....thar she blows!
Old 07-08-2008, 11:58 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

FWIW, I once took out the strut (with top nut and strut mount still installed) and then took off the top nut. The spring tension was enough to send some stuff across the garage floor, but nothing deadly. That said, Jason's right about using the car to compress the springs. If you can get the nut off while it's on the car, then that's the way to do it.

Note that the top nut can't be removed with hand tools unless you have a odd VW part that holds the strut shaft while you turn the nut. An air wrench has the torque/speed to break the nut free.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:06 PM
J Silverman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by harrisonrick
hmmm...never looked at this job that way before. You`ve convinced me. I have new camber plates on their way... FWIW I`m going to try this method.

So if I read correctly, undo the nut, jack up the car, undo the 4 nuts that hold the upper strut mount in, and replace. Installation is the reverse of the removal, etc, etc.
No guarantees that this will work, but if you want to try and preserve your alignment when you do the camber plates, remove the front sway bar as this will allow the control arms to droop more. Once you get the shaft out of the top mount then compress the strut a little and you should be able to get it to clear the fender so youll have room to get the old mount off the car and the camber plates in. It worked for my but Im using 10" springs. Worse case scenario it doesnt work and you have to unbolt the strut anyways.

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
Note that the top nut can't be removed with hand tools unless you have a odd VW part that holds the strut shaft while you turn the nut. An air wrench has the torque/speed to break the nut free.
No special tools required. A quick trip to harbor freight will get you everyhing you need. THe first time I did mine I used a 21 or 22mm offset box wrench and 7mm (I think) allen wrench in the top of the strut. The allen wrench holds the shaft from spinning while you loosen with the box wrench. If you have koni struts youll use a 10 or 11mm box wrench at the top near the adjuster to hold the shaft but be careful its very easy to strip.

Now that I have an electric impact wrench (best $70 Ive ever spent) its super easy.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:35 PM
Dave951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by J Silverman
No guarantees that this will work, but if you want to try and preserve your alignment when you do the camber plates, remove the front sway bar as this will allow the control arms to droop more. Once you get the shaft out of the top mount then compress the strut a little and you should be able to get it to clear the fender so youll have room to get the old mount off the car and the camber plates in. It worked for my but Im using 10" springs. Worse case scenario it doesnt work and you have to unbolt the strut anyways.

No special tools required. A quick trip to harbor freight will get you everyhing you need. THe first time I did mine I used a 21 or 22mm offset box wrench and 7mm (I think) allen wrench in the top of the strut. The allen wrench holds the shaft from spinning while you loosen with the box wrench. If you have koni struts youll use a 10 or 11mm box wrench at the top near the adjuster to hold the shaft but be careful its very easy to strip.

Now that I have an electric impact wrench (best $70 Ive ever spent) its super easy.
Or on that same trip to Harbor Freight you could pickup a spring compressor and do it right for a paltry sum of $13.00
Old 07-08-2008, 03:50 PM
J Silverman
Burning Brakes

:sigh: Please tell me what Im doing wrong... Using my car to control the springs is much safer than the harbor freight spring compressors. I have a pair in my tool box, but havent used them for years because its not necessary. I have several friends that work as techs and not a single one uses a spring compressor. Most of the time simply jacking the car up will uncompress the spring fully if you have the top nut off. Ive changed springs 4 times now on my 924, 3 times on my old VW and done 4 other peoples cars. If using a spring compressor makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside, by all means go for it. Just know that you can remove a strut safely without them.

Quick Reply: Upper Strut Mount Removal Question