Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who has a sleeved engine?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2002, 01:31 PM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post who has a sleeved engine?

Hello
How long do you run this engine, how many miles and how reliable?
Is it a Turbo or NA?

Konstantin
Old 11-01-2002, 06:11 PM
BartW
Racer

almost all aluminum engines are sleeved. There is a relatively new thing, which is spraying some kind of wacky chemical on aluminum that makes it withstand heat and friction, it is being tested on some race engines but I don't think it has made it into production just yet.
Old 11-01-2002, 06:15 PM
FSTPRSH
Pro

I'd go with sleeved...not protecting your parts is asking for trouble if you know what I mean.
Old 11-01-2002, 07:28 PM
Magnus
Racer

Exclamation

[quote]Originally posted by BartW:
<strong>almost all aluminum engines are sleeved. There is a relatively new thing, which is spraying some kind of wacky chemical on aluminum that makes it withstand heat and friction, it is being tested on some race engines but I don't think it has made it into production just yet.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, our porsche engines has been spinning for 20 years without sleeves and I don't think they were the first alu engines without it.

//Magnus
Old 11-01-2002, 07:32 PM
FSTPRSH
Pro

Uhhh, my engine has sleeves in it...about .040" worth (estimate). Got the old block in the shop. The old Vega engines didn't come out with them and it ate the cylinders up fast.
Old 11-01-2002, 07:36 PM
Larry Parker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
alumasil engines wear better and last longer than steel sleeves............. I went through all this stuff when i built my motor.........................
If you keep the motors in the proper temp range...... When they over heat more damage can result than a sleeve.............
Old 11-02-2002, 10:18 AM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

[quote]Originally posted by Larry Parker:
<strong>alusil engines wear better and last longer than steel sleeves............. I went through all this stuff when i built my motor...</strong><hr></blockquote>

what do you mean?
How do you know this?
My stock engine after 230000 km is stil ok but how long can a sleeved engine last?
Does it last at least 100000 km or should I fix it every 2 years if I use sleeves?

Konstantin
Old 11-02-2002, 08:39 PM
Larry Parker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alumsil engine last because the process that they go through when being honed to sized uses a special paste that leaves large amounts of silicon atoms at the surface which makes a excellent wear surface........................
This process only allows you to run factory pistons which does not leaave you alot of options! but if you plan to run stock compression and not crazy high numbers your good! steel slevees are ok but for loose bulit race motor but not street cars.........You could also have the motor sent to u.s chrome and have it NICASILED, A process which the cylinders are coated and honed using a special diamond hone, this allows you to run non stock piston with out problems.........As to the durabilty of this process, i think its very
good given that bmw used it on many of their motors..................The things about sleeving a motor is that aluminum and steel expand at different rates and its not a question if the sleeves will come lose and move but WHEN................ITS HARD TO BE THE FACTORY! they have many engineers doing material science finding what works best!!!!

Quick Reply: who has a sleeved engine?