Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   924/931/944/951/968 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum-70/)
-   -   Tough to Shitft.. What Have I Done? (https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/432292-tough-to-shitft-what-have-i-done.html)

JimO 05-23-2008 05:35 PM

Tough to Shitft.. What Have I Done?

It is extremely difficult to shift gears. Meaning when the stick is in neutral, car is running, and I try to shift into 1st or 2nd I have to apply a tremendous amount of force to try and get into gear(needless to say I'm not driving as of now). If I turn the car off and apply the clutch it's very easy to move into gear and then turn the car back on. Clutch depresses normally. Even with clutch fully depressed, if car in 1st gear, running, and on flat ground, the car will begin to very slowly move forward.
Thoughts? Costs? :surr:

KY944S 05-23-2008 05:45 PM

Master or slave cylinder. Or low fluid. I would start with bleeding the clutch and looking for leaks.

StoogeMoe 05-23-2008 05:57 PM

Are you having trouble ****ting or shifting? I can't help you with the first one.

Tenacious_G 05-23-2008 06:10 PM

Could it be synchros starting to go as well?

jtsporsche 05-23-2008 06:57 PM

mine has been difficult to put into reverse, and its starting to feel different going into first. we may have the same issues.

jstand22 05-23-2008 07:59 PM

I would say the syncros are pretty worn...check your fluid level, you may have lost alot and not have noticed, this would cause extremely high temperatures in the gearbox, and this usually first affects the syncros.

Wallace 05-23-2008 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by JimO (Post 5441380)
Even with clutch fully depressed, if car in 1st gear, running, and on flat ground, the car will begin to very slowly move forward.
Thoughts? Costs? :surr:

This statement is the give-away.
This means the clutch is not fully dissengaged.
Like KY944S said, it's most likely a clutch hydraulic issue, not a trans issue.
Look for leaks by the clutch pedal or around the slave cylinder.
Even if there are no leaks, the cylinder can still be bad (this happened to me).

Master cylinder + slave cylinder = $150
Labour for install = $300? (that's a guess)

Install is not super easy, but not really hard either.
I did it in about 4 hours, including clutch bleeding (which is the most time-consuming part).

loftygoals 05-27-2008 03:36 PM

As mentioned before, it could be hydraulic. It's a good idea to have the clutch master and slave replaced, but I bet your problem is actually one of the following:
  • Bent clutch fork
  • Broken pressure plate
  • "Folded" clutch material

I had the exact same symptoms you are describing on my race car. In my case it was a broken clutch fork. I ended up replacing the clutch, clutch fork, and master and slave cylinders while I was at it. Unfortunately, I have to finish a race when then clutch fork bent. It was too much for the syncros, so I killed the transaxle, too. Not cool.

-bj

Tom R. 05-27-2008 06:38 PM

is it a rubber centered clutch?

If so, i bet you are getting stuck on a chunk of rubber.

i bet you need a new clutch.