Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

super basic car audio installation question

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 03:33 PM
jbob
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default super basic car audio installation question

hey so I got this cheap simple deck to replace the blaupunkt.

seems like i need some different connectors or converters. this has RCA in, while the connector format from the old stereo looks different in a couple of ways.

been calling around to stereo places and in my town everyone seems super busy with this economy and everything, so I might try doing it myself and maybe learning some more knowledge.

can anyone help point me in the direction of what additionally I will need to make these work in my 924S?

Old 08-19-2016, 04:30 PM
jbob
Racer

its this deck

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 08-19-2016, 05:43 PM
snb13
Pro

The rca's are for connecting to an amp.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:59 PM
carlege
Drifting

Ok looks like the 4 unique looking connectors go to the individual speakers, RCA is output to amplifiers (almost every thing is output on the back.)

You will need to identify what speakers those go to. In my experience the wire with the black stripe is the negative to the speaker.

Your antenna also grounds the radio make sure you connect that (no ground no sound is a typical rule when doing radio stuff)

Identify the Power and Ground wires and everything else is simple. Avoid touching wires together if you mock assemble the radio

Take your time. its not hard it can just be a little overwhelming at first.

im not an expert but i have installed 5 stereo's in my life, multiple amps and added capacitors.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:31 PM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by snb13
The rca's are for connecting to an amp.
This is correct.

You can use a 9 volt battery to identify which wire is for which speaker. Also positive on the 9 volt battery moves the speaker outward.

You will need a heavier gauge wire that can support a 20 amp circuit for the memory/battery (unswitch)circuit because a modern radio the memory/battery (unswitch) circuit power's the radio. The stock radio got its power from the radio relay (switch) and the stock memory power (unswitch)is not adequate. On my 83 I tapped into the aux fuse box on a unused, unswitch terminal. Make sure to use a inline fuse.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:05 AM
GrantM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congratulations!! You still have all the factory audio connections in the car. That might be rare now. You just need a kit from crutchfield or some audio place. I wouldn't cut any wires in the car and it doesn't look like you need to if you by the $10?-ish harness kit from somewhere. Crutchfield will probably have one.

Quick Reply: super basic car audio installation question