Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horn beeps on left hand turns!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 01:29 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 77 Posts
Unhappy Horn beeps on left hand turns!

So out of the blue this morning, when making a 90 left turn, my horn beeps for like a 1/2 second, everytime. I get strange looks from people standing on the corners (even more than normal). I'm assuming after nearly 30 years, the horn wire has worn through and is making conact with ground. I pulled the horn pad and everything looks fine there. Don't tell me I'm going to have to remove that wiper stalk again. It will be about the sixth time. I don't look forward to laying on my back looking under that dash.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:53 PM
plumbum
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

does it still go off with the horn pad off? If so the issue is likely somewhere in the colomb...pull the steering wheel...maybe you will get lucky with a bair wire hitting metal.

It would be kinda funny watching you turn around
Old 03-16-2012, 09:52 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

there's a ring on the back of the steering wheel that contacts a wiper on the column ring that holds the turn signals. if that wiper is coming apart or if the wire inside the hole where the main steering wheel bolt is has come loose or the wire is frayed it might be grounding when the wheel is turned and causes the horns to beep. Also might be a ground wire near the horn rubbing against something metal.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:13 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,241 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Watching too much NASCAR?
Old 03-16-2012, 10:46 PM
nasty9er
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=mytrplseven;9367755]there's a ring on the back of the steering wheel that contacts a wiper on the column ring that holds the turn signals.QUOTE]

if you have an aftermarket wheel adapter the wiper might be made out of metal and might be grounding out. i installed a MOMO adapter and it ground out and melted a few wire plus i got a face full of smoke.

good luck
Old 03-17-2012, 04:00 PM
pettybird
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Watching too much NASCAR?

nah...they changed the rules:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/new...n-on-co,18318/
Old 03-17-2012, 07:44 PM
bad_monkey
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had this issue, early car, ymmv - if it is a momo wheel it pays to insulate under the wiper that makes contact with the brass ring on the steering boss. I just laid a strip of tape underneath it so that it couldn't ground out on the metal below.

Embarrassing electrical problem #4626 - I still have power windows that now only open when the door is open - faulty relay I think...
Old 03-19-2012, 01:30 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

No Momo. Just stock wheel. Well, it didn't do it today. We'll see what happens this week.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:55 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just gonna throw it in the mix- ignition switch?

I've seen some weird stuff from those going bad...
Old 03-19-2012, 02:01 PM
Hollywood D
Burning Brakes

You just have to pull the wheel off and take a look. It's an easy job. There is a single wire that attaches to the horn pad. Then you have the brass colored tang that rubs against the hub for your electrical contact. Unless you have airbags, then I don't know what to tell you.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:08 PM
87 944 C
Drifting

sounds like its catching ground.

clock springs with a loose wire can make some funny stuff happen.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:40 PM
flat12boxer
Racer

Originally Posted by bad_monkey
I've had this issue, early car, ymmv - if it is a momo wheel it pays to insulate under the wiper that makes contact with the brass ring on the steering boss. I just laid a strip of tape underneath it so that it couldn't ground out on the metal below.

Embarrassing electrical problem #4626 - I still have power windows that now only open when the door is open - faulty relay I think...
I run a momo on a late 944 (89)...does this apply as well? I don't have any grounding issues, but I do have the copper strip that rides/scrapes the surface of the hub connection if that is where you are talking about.

The only problem I have is sometimes one of my turn signals stays on due to the placment of the momo - my car was aligned properly on the original wheel, and when adding the momo at the proper center point, it is a hair off center as they are know to be.

I didn't want to have the car re-aligned because it will go back to stock wheel if I ever sell it and my "offset" appears to be much much less than what many people have mentioned over the years, it's almost unnoticeable in my case so I wasn't going to bother adjusting it.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:33 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Well it went away so I never looked at it.

Now it's doing it again. Again in March almost one year to the day. What deviltry is this? Is my car performing a Satanic ritual on me?

The only difference is it does it on right hand turns now too.

I guess I'm going to have to break down and take that wheel off.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:21 AM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

March must be your car's birth month, she's just reminding you
Old 03-07-2013, 05:07 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Smile Horn beeps on left hand turns -- Problem solved!

I took off the wheel today. I figured it must be the wire with cracked insulation or chafing that touches the wheel when you turn it. I took off the brass ring assembly from the rear of the wheel and looked at it. But it looks fine.

I cleaned the brass ring and the wiper because it had accumulated gunk over the years. The wiper is in good shape. Not cracked or loose.

Hmm. Then I found it. It was the one brass colored screw that is next to the wiper that holds down the turn signal assembly. It is stripped and sitting out just enough so that it touches the brass ring when it hits a high spot during turning. Problem solved!

I can't explain why only in March though. Maybe it is just the right temperature between inside and outside.

Quick Reply: Horn beeps on left hand turns!