Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering pump rattling

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 02:27 PM
aprotogerellis
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Power steering pump rattling

Hi there,

This is week 3 of 3 weeks I've been trying to sort out my power steering pump - and failing. Any ingenious ideas or even a diagnosis much appreciated...

Here's what's happening:

- Everything was absolutely fine a short while ago
- Then I did the belts, reconnected it all up and the problem started
- Irrespective of the tension on the power steering belt a whizzing/rattling noise is heard
- From up close the noise sounds more like a very fast rattling and is definitelly coming from the pump (and not the belt itself)
- When I move the wheel all the way to one side and then a little bit more past the end point the rattling/whizzing becomes much louder
- Removing the belt completely gets rid of the noise just fine

Some older posts suggested it is because the pump is being starved of fluid and that I needed to replace the fluid and reservoir.

So, replaced the reservoir and replaced the fluid three times (until it run nice and clean). The noise improved quite a bit but it is still definitelly there.

The interesting thing is that if I run the pump with no fluid at all, the noise disappears - I'm hoping this means that the pump itself is ok.

Any ideas - at all?

Thanks!
Alex
Old 02-24-2008, 02:59 PM
Jusii
Instructor

Did you vent in properly? If there's air in the system, it will make rattling sound.

Take your time to vent it properly.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:58 PM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had a pump that vibrated really bad and I had limited to no power steering. I rebuilt the pump and it didnt help. Turned out that the power steering line that feeds fluid to the pump had swolllen shut where it goes through the hose clamp at the water pump. The pump was pulling a vacuum and starving of fluid. I replaced the hose and it worked perfectly.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:46 PM
aprotogerellis
Instructor

Thanks,

I did vent it properly (I think)... turning the wheel from full lock to full lock four or five times. On swollen line front it sounds possible, but I do get proper power steering despite the rattling noise.I really can't understand how it could all have started so suddenly...
Old 02-24-2008, 07:35 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

is the pump mounted tight? not rattling around loose?
Old 02-24-2008, 08:45 PM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

When you were doing the belts did you take the power steering input line loose from the water pump bracket? Thats what I had done while doing front seals on the engine and when I put the power steering hose back onto the water pump bracket it started the whole process of messed up power steering.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:39 AM
aprotogerellis
Instructor

Good point! I did disconnect and re-connect the line from the water pump bracket. Admitedly I removed it from the bracket yesterday and tested it out with no luck, but the damage could have already happened.

I think a new line is in order...

(BTW, the pump is mounted tightly... not movement there)
Old 02-25-2008, 03:20 PM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

One thing I learned when I got the replacement hose is that it does not follow the same route across the water pump area, rather it is shorter and goes straight down from the reservoir to the pump. The hose is much shorter. Also since the hose is different they say you HAVE to buy a new nipple end that screws onto the pump. Since I didnt realize this when I ordered it, I just installed what I had and it worked ok. Getting the newer nipple is better because of the way the new hose travels.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:01 AM
griffiths
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

It could be one of two issues:

1) Air in the system which leads to cavitation which leads to the noise you hear.
The source of the air can be tracted down by starting at the outlet or return line at the steering rack and working your way back to the pump. If you recently done some work around the pump I would focus there. The normal suspect
is the line from the PS Tank to the Pump, and relates to the clamps.
Other sources at the pump could be if you loosened or disconnected a line which has a crush washer on it at the banjo fitting.

2) As one poster pointed out you could have a situation where the pumps supply of fluid is cut off or starved.

You do not want to run the pump without fluid as it used the fluid as a lubricant.
Many times a car will have a leak, such as the power steering rack, and you don't notice it until you hear the noise at the pump as it starves. By then its too late. Damage is done and you won't really notice the damage until a few months or miles down the road.

Solution at this point could be a replacement pump, however check the hoses and joints as noted before you go that route; in either event if you don't determine the cause you could also damage the replacement pump.

PM if you need more help.

Originally Posted by aprotogerellis
Hi there,

This is week 3 of 3 weeks I've been trying to sort out my power steering pump - and failing. Any ingenious ideas or even a diagnosis much appreciated...

Here's what's happening:

- Everything was absolutely fine a short while ago
- Then I did the belts, reconnected it all up and the problem started
- Irrespective of the tension on the power steering belt a whizzing/rattling noise is heard
- From up close the noise sounds more like a very fast rattling and is definitelly coming from the pump (and not the belt itself)
- When I move the wheel all the way to one side and then a little bit more past the end point the rattling/whizzing becomes much louder
- Removing the belt completely gets rid of the noise just fine

Some older posts suggested it is because the pump is being starved of fluid and that I needed to replace the fluid and reservoir.

So, replaced the reservoir and replaced the fluid three times (until it run nice and clean). The noise improved quite a bit but it is still definitelly there.

The interesting thing is that if I run the pump with no fluid at all, the noise disappears - I'm hoping this means that the pump itself is ok.

Any ideas - at all?

Thanks!
Alex
Old 02-27-2008, 09:36 AM
aprotogerellis
Instructor

Thanks a lot guys,

My first route is a replacement hose (reservoir to pump). I'll install it this weekend and see what happens. It appears that they have superceded the original hose with a shorter one. Does anyone know:

a) given that it is shorter, does it need to be routed down to the pump in any particular way?
b) given that the hose won't be tied to the water pump mount now, is that bolt still required?

Thanks and I'll let you know how it goes...
Old 02-27-2008, 02:39 PM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Check my previous post about the new hose length etc.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:16 PM
aprotogerellis
Instructor

Good stuff... so I'm thinking it is:
a) simply goes straight down, no special route to aim for
b) The bolts that held the hose in place aren't needed as they doesn't have any other function other that to hold the old style hose in place...

Cheers
Alex
Old 02-27-2008, 05:18 PM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Pretty much straight down. I tried to keep the hose from laying against the frame of the car so when the engine vibrates it doesnt cause the frame to rub a hole in the hose over time. If you dont buy the new nipple for the PS pump then make sure the hose wont kink when the engine torques to one side on acceleration.

I needed the bolt that held the clamp in place on the water pump because mine had the newer pump with the white plastic block off plate in place of the turbo electric water pump outlet. If you dont have that on the front of your water pump then I dont see a need for the bolt.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:26 PM
aprotogerellis
Instructor

Default Finally fixed!

Good news!

I've finally got my power steering back. Thought I'd post the findings and solution for anyone facing the same problem.

When I replaced my timing belts I had to remove the small bracket that held the power steering feed hose (input line) to the water pump housing and then reconnect it.

Aparently this process may cause the hose to swell when re-connecting. The solution is a new hose.

Now, the original hose has since been replaced by a new one which is shorter, doesn't need the bracket and goes straight down to the pump. Also, the banjo bolt that originally connected the hose to the pump has been replaced by a connector (screws straight onto the pump and the hose is clamped onto it).

You don't need to replace the banjo but as they replaced the part I'm sure there was a reason...

Aparently, the same symptoms may be caused by the power steering reservoir being clogged. The reservoir is a maintenance item and has a built in, non-cleanable filter. The whole thing is about £20.

Alex

Quick Reply: Power steering pump rattling