Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED lighting option in early dash

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 03:29 PM
GloriaRedStang
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED lighting option in early dash

I've decided to do some "user interface" improvements in the "new" 84' n/a I bought. I've got 924s gauges coming from Airflite, to eliminate the ugly yellow gauges I have now. I've also read a few LED threads including ones involving ninefofo and some others.

I've found this option on ebay all packed and ready to go according to the seller. I was wondering if anyone had used it before.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ksid=p3907.m29
Old 01-22-2008, 03:42 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Not a bad price, seems to know his 944's (or at least the problems with the instument lighting) and says he tracks. I remember someone posting somthing like this before so he might chirp in here. His later dash set sells for $45, the early at $18 seems a good price.

If you buy & fit a set please post feedback on here (with pics).

gk
Old 01-24-2008, 01:06 AM
UncleMaz
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by GloriaRedStang
I've decided to do some "user interface" improvements in the "new" 84' n/a I bought. I've got 924s gauges coming from Airflite, to eliminate the ugly yellow gauges I have now. I've also read a few LED threads including ones involving ninefofo and some others.

I've found this option on ebay all packed and ready to go according to the seller. I was wondering if anyone had used it before.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ksid=p3907.m29
GRS. I used that exact set-up before I converted to Autometer. All of the gauges worked ok except for the multigauge. You have to work to get those bulbs out and I could never get the LED replacements to work after I pulled the bulbs out. Might have been pilot error (mangled connectors/polarity issues), but I could not get those multimeter leds to work. Also, the lights were not very bright (across the board). I think there are better and brighter kits out there. . With the 924s gauges you have coming, I would go with the brighter incandescent bulbs as highlighted in Clark's Garage - 3.2 watts IIRC. My .02. The 924s gauges look so good.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:21 AM
GloriaRedStang
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ninefofo
GRS. ... I would go with ...
Thanks, Dude. I'll keep your advice in mind.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:30 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by GloriaRedStang
I've got 924s gauges coming from Airflite, to eliminate the ugly yellow gauges I have now.
The yellow gauges are not ugly.

I don't know how that kit hooks up or gets applied, but remember to think outside the box. E.g. for the signal light, you don't have to fit an LED into a bulb socket, and twist the socket back into its hole. You can just solder an LED directly into the hole.

Quick Reply: LED lighting option in early dash