Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pressure Issue Again

Old 10-31-2007, 02:19 PM
Zach951
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure Issue Again

Ok, so lets first start by telling you that this happened before.. Here is the post https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/362555-oil-pressure-issues.html

Ok, so after a little while the problem above went away and it was fine up untill yesterday. Pior to the problem yesterday the oil pressure was fine. I did take the filter off and turned it over and it pumped oil up to the filter, but when I pulled the OPRV out the second time nothing came out of the hole.

86 951 with 3 peice OPRV

I have checked to make sure the crankcase pully is tight and it was. I am fairly sure it is not the oil pressure sending unit as that would only tell the guage what to display and not mean that there is no oil pressure.

I have taken all the plugs out and the DME relay and cranked, it will build no pressure.

So I am thinking it has got to be that OPRV and I am concerned that if it isn't i just dumped a whole lot of money on something that wasn't needed, so I am asking if anyone has any ideas, or a old OPRV that they are sure worked when it was pulled.

Please I am in dire need of help or suggestions as to what it might be, I love this car and hate to see it sit in the garage.

86 951 with 3 peice OPRV
Old 11-01-2007, 09:52 AM
cdtscout
Intermediate

Zach,
I have struggled with oil pressure issues myself with my 968. I am in the process of fininshing up replacing yet another oil pick-up tube. I had a very slight "leak" or seperation of the part at the very bottom of the tube that was not readily noticible untill I removed and cleaned the part. Part of my diagnosis was the discovery of air-bubbles in the drained oil. So, my pressure was slow to build-up, noisy at times, and low at idle. I only hope I caught this prior to any significant damage. I can say that pulling the pan and reinstalling the oil pan gasket is a bitch. During this job, I purchased the Lindsey 3 piece crosss member and the oil-pan side brackets for good measure.

Hope this helps.
Craig
Old 11-01-2007, 12:31 PM
Zach951
Advanced

I fairly sure that is not it, as I took the filter off and it is pumping oil out. I think it is the OPRV just releaving all the pressure and not letting it build up.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:11 PM
Zach951
Advanced

Bump

Please need some help or suggestions.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:15 PM
austin944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

I seem to vaguely recall that when I did my re-seal job and installed the crank washer on backwards resulting in zero oil pressure, I turned the crank by hand and was able to observe oil coming out of the oil filter housing, with the filter removed. So I'm not really sure that oil coming out of the filter housing necessarily implies that you should expect good oil pressure coming out of the oil pump.

But from what you're describing, where all of a sudden you've lost all oil pressure without having done anything to the car, suggests that you should first make sure there's no fault in the oil pressure sender or associated wiring.

Also when you say that it happened before, it's not getting good oil pressure at all this time, is that right? In your previous post you said that it would get oil pressure if the engine was hot.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:53 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I have the same problem as you, only my engine has never been run.. I'm curious to find out what the problem is. I'll let you know if I solve mine
Old 11-05-2007, 02:34 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm not sure if it will help you, but I had a similar problem.

I took out my OPRV , loosened the oil housing , reinstalled the OPRV, tightened the housing back up.

Then I took out my oil filter, poured oil while cranking the engine 1 full revolution counter clockwise.

Now I have oil pressure.

Might be worth giving it a shot, wasn't a big PITA
Old 11-05-2007, 09:00 PM
Zach951
Advanced

definitely sounds like that will be my next step.

The motor was rebuilt 5000 miles ago by a reputable BMW dealer, maybe they didn't align it right.

(posting from a pda phone stinks on this forum, is there a wap site?)
Old 11-06-2007, 09:06 AM
Zach951
Advanced

After thinking about this over night, the above idea, I don't think will work becuase the OPRV is a three piece. Thus when trying to realign it, one piece will stay with the houseing and the other with block.

anyone know the diameter of the 1 peice so that I may buy a piece of metal rod and use to align it?
Old 11-06-2007, 09:12 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Zach951
After thinking about this over night, the above idea, I don't think will work becuase the OPRV is a three piece. Thus when trying to realign it, one piece will stay with the houseing and the other with block.

anyone know the diameter of the 1 peice so that I may buy a piece of metal rod and use to align it?
Just buy the correct alignment tool. It's only about $18.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Pressure Issue Again