Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you think it will ever happen? Would Porsche ever build a 944 follow-on?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 07:46 PM
Joe Anstett
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tenacious_G
The only redeeming factor is that rednecks might be able to pronounce Porsche properly after spending most of their time staring at the back end of one for a few laps... Perhaps have it spelled phonetically on the back end of the panamera...
Rednecks aren't the only ones who can't pronounce it. Dingbats trophy girls and MBAs who get one without understanding it pronounce it "Por-shh" or "Paw-shh". Kind of like Bush saying "Nuke-yoo-ler". The proper pronunciation is not a secret.

On that subject I had a guy who insists on pronouncing Nikon ("Nee-kon") as it is in Japanese; yet in their own ads its "Nigh-kon". At least Porsche still pronounces their own name correctly.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:03 PM
moorepower
Pro

Originally Posted by SpideySlave944
I work on these 1.8T engines almost every day, one thing that I see that I don't like...

These engine have vacuum line issues, timing belt problems (rec at 105K but not making it past 65k in some instances), interferance motors that customer cost to fix is near $3,000 depending on how many valves you tear up, and not to mention the gobs of turbo lag, ignition coils failing, MAF sensors crapping out, converter failures, cam sensors that you cant change without pulling the front of the engine completely.... the list goes on and on.
Damn, I think we just found the perfect engine for the new 944.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:31 PM
82-T/A
Racer

Originally Posted by Matt O.
I was thinking today that I would absolutely go into debt for a brand new Porsche, 4-cylinder front engine turbo. I am generally against buying anything new, however, if Porsche made a 944 follow-on and actually gave it a number designation instead of the contemporary naming bull crap they do now (Cayman??), I would buy one. And in 20 years I'd be on Rennlist telling about my 200,000 mile Porsche I picked up brand new at the dock.

How about the Pontiac Solstice? I special ordered mine in March of 2005 and received it in December of 2005. Even to this day (almost 2 years later), it's hard for me to go anywhere without someone asking me if it's a Porsche.

Granted, mine is an NA, but they now sell the Solstice (as of 07) with a turbo. It's pretty decent. The looks have changed SLIGHTLY... there's a little ducktail on the trunk, dual exhuast, and the fog lamps are more inset, but it's otherwise the same car. It's a Direct Injection 2.0 Turbo w/ Variable Valve Timing. It's good for mid 13s.

Todd,
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2004 VW Beetle Convertible (Wife's)
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX-P74
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6 (3.2)
1984 Porsche 944
1981 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 (Olds 455)
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter (1800cc)
Old 10-27-2007, 02:24 PM
Joe Anstett
Racer

^ I like the Solstace, a lot. But here are the things that prevent it from being my affordable dream car:

- Too heavy, not enough power (GXP included). Fix either to get the hp/weight ratio better. It's close, just needs a nudge.
- No hard top -- that would make it a great track day car and stiffen up the handling. I've raced convertibles, you want a hard top. Based on the hard top one-offs they have been showing on the industry circuit, GM knows enthusiasts are asking.
- Not impressed with the brakes especially the GXP (iirc it's still only single-pistons right?). They should fit at least 2 piston and better 4 piston calipers with 13" rotors up front. I want to see some serious stopping power.
- Tighten up the handling and take the GM numb out of the steering. It's almost right but needs some work.

At this point I am lusting after the BMW 135i as an affordable dream car. Solstace/Sky is at the top of my B list.

Last edited by Joe Anstett; 10-27-2007 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:39 PM
82-T/A
Racer

Originally Posted by Joe Anstett
^ I like the Solstace, a lot. But here are the things that prevent it from being my affordable dream car:

- Too heavy, not enough power (GXP included). Fix either to get the hp/weight ratio better. It's close, just needs a nudge.
- No hard top -- that would make it a great track day car and stiffen up the handling. I've raced convertibles, you want a hard top. Based on the hard top one-offs they have been showing on the industry circuit, GM knows enthusiasts are asking.
- Not impressed with the brakes especially the GXP (iirc it's still only single-pistons right?). They should fit at least 2 piston and better 4 piston calipers with 13" rotors up front. I want to see some serious stopping power.
- Tighten up the handling and take the GM numb out of the steering. It's almost right but needs some work.

At this point I am lusting after the BMW 135i as an affordable dream car. Solstace/Sky is at the top of my B list.
Those are all things you could easily fix with simple upgrades. I'm breaking into the 14s with nothing more than a cold air intake, a ceramic coated tubular shorty header, and a higher cfm catalytic converter.

I've never seen that 135 before (just googled it). It looks like a smaller version of the 3 series. When was it released? It's kind of cool looking, it's about the size of a Mazda 626...

Maybe that's the BMW 2002 for modern times???

Todd,
2006 Pontiac Solstice
1984 Porsche 944
Old 10-28-2007, 03:47 PM
Joe Anstett
Racer

Originally Posted by 82-T/A
Those are all things you could easily fix with simple upgrades. I'm breaking into the 14s with nothing more than a cold air intake, a ceramic coated tubular shorty header, and a higher cfm catalytic converter.
Well, most of it you can fix (not the hard top part). Fiiting a good set of brakes on there could cost $1000 (if you can share parts from some other GM car) to $4000 for some good Brembos. I'm kind of outgrowing my phase of wanting to do my own upgrades and I'm leaning towards something that's fit for the track off the showroom floor. I made my 2000 TA vert trackworth but upgraded nearly the entire suspension and brakes in the process.

The Mallet Solstace (LS2 V8 conversion + big brakes) is interesting but at that price range (Solstace + $23k) I'd just get the Vette or a Cayman S. And it's still a soft top.

Originally Posted by 82-TA
I've never seen that 135 before (just googled it). It looks like a smaller version of the 3 series. When was it released? It's kind of cool looking, it's about the size of a Mazda 626...

Maybe that's the BMW 2002 for modern times???
The 135 is their new small car, it's been out in Europe for a while, coming to the US in the next few months, smaller than the 3 series but bigger than the Mini. The 135i comes with the 335i's twin turbo inline 6 (300 hp), six piston calipers. Unfortunately it's heavier (3400 vs 3000) and longer (171" vs. 151") than the Solstace. Heavy BMW Inline 6 + turbos + intercoolers + hardtop, let's see how much a hard top Solstice would come to probably close.

A hard top club racer Solstice with big brakes would get my attention.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:15 PM
82-T/A
Racer

Well, most of it you can fix (not the hard top part). Fiiting a good set of brakes on there could cost $1000 (if you can share parts from some other GM car) to $4000 for some good Brembos. I'm kind of outgrowing my phase of wanting to do my own upgrades and I'm leaning towards something that's fit for the track off the showroom floor. I made my 2000 TA vert trackworth but upgraded nearly the entire suspension and brakes in the process.

The Mallet Solstace (LS2 V8 conversion + big brakes) is interesting but at that price range (Solstace + $23k) I'd just get the Vette or a Cayman S. And it's still a soft top.
I've seen concept shots of the Solstice in hardtop form, and it's actually very cool looking. Last I heard, they were planning on making one, but I don't know where that stands right now. They do sell a removable hardtop like the old vettes and the Miata, although... in my opinion, it ruins the look of the car.

The Solstice is actually surprisingly stiff. It's got a torque-tube setup just like the 944, and it uses the same high-press water frame technology as the Corvette. It's every bit as rigid as the newest Corvette. They do sell a club-sport option for the Solstice that most people aren't aware of. I didn't get that because I use my Solstice as a daily driver. They've improved that package even more, which is optional on the GXP. The car IS a bit cheap though. If you really take a good look at the car, all the expense went into the frame, suspension, and body. It's a very decent engine, in GXP form it'll run mid 13s all day totally stock. They really put extra effort into designing the frame and body. but the rest of the car is cheap. You know that "sound" when you shut the door in a Porsche 944? That "click" you hear... it's the sound of a perfectly aligned door, closing and latching with perfect tolerances. even the most beat up, 300k mile Porsche 944 still has this quality about it. Although the Solstice IS a brand new car, and the door obviously shuts normal... I expect it to be like an old Trans Am... you know, the door pins round out and the door gets mis-aligned or whatever. Then again, there aren't many cars out there that have the quality and fit and finish like the Porsche. Even the 944, as cheap of a car as it was for Porsche... it still manages to retain that quality.

The 135 is their new small car, it's been out in Europe for a while, coming to the US in the next few months, smaller than the 3 series but bigger than the Mini. The 135i comes with the 335i's twin turbo inline 6 (300 hp), six piston calipers. Unfortunately it's heavier (3400 vs 3000) and longer (171" vs. 151") than the Solstace. Heavy BMW Inline 6 + turbos + intercoolers + hardtop, let's see how much a hard top Solstice would come to probably close.

A hard top club racer Solstice with big brakes would get my attention.
Are they going to actually offer that in the US? I would be very surprised... then again, I know BMW and Mercedes both offer their 12 cyl or 10cyl beast cars here in the US as long as you can afford to shell out the coin for it. I'd expect that would probably be pretty pricey! Why not just go for a Z8! That would be pretty cool...

Todd,
2006 Pontiac Solstice
1984 Porsche 944
Old 10-29-2007, 06:46 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Ain't gonna happen. The only reason they built the 944 was because Porsche needed money badly. Now they are doing so well they can afford to buy a huge portion of the auto giant VW-Audi.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:26 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah 4 cylinder cars aren't too exciting lol. turbo 4cylinder can be fast but it still sounds like a 4cylinder. When people buy a porsche they usually want something more exotic than a 4 banger....

I think porsche should bring back the 928 except more modern looking of course maybe twin turbo v8 but yeah it wouldn't be affordable lol.

they already make the affordable/ cheap porsche, the boxster.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:24 AM
82-T/A
Racer

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
Ain't gonna happen. The only reason they built the 944 was because Porsche needed money badly. Now they are doing so well they can afford to buy a huge portion of the auto giant VW-Audi.

Actually, I was just reading this last night in the 924/944/968 Guide. It's somewhat the other way around. There was a market that was now void with the elimination of the 914. It WAS a cash cow for them, and was a market that was very lucrative. The 924 was originally going to be a Volkswagen model that was to be shared with Porsche. Then VW said they only wanted it to be THEIR vehicle. Then, the fuel crisis hit and Volkswagen decided they were NOT going to use the 924 model, so Porsche bought the entire design, tooling, and everything for 40 million. Believe it or not, the front of the 924 was originally going to have a VW Fox looking front-end. How ugly would that have been?

Anyway, at the time Porsche HAD money (as they shelled out 40 million for the entire platform). The 924 and then the 944 both sold like crazy. This gave Porsche HUGE cash reserves. In the late 80s and early 90s, Porsche was doing VERY poorly, and these cash reserves helped them through those times till the 993 came out.

I too would really like to see a decent 4 cyl sports car come out, a hard-top, like the 944. It could have an aluminum V6, something that runs high 14s would be acceptable, and then offer it with a Turbo.

Originally Posted by Yummybud924
yeah 4 cylinder cars aren't too exciting lol. turbo 4cylinder can be fast but it still sounds like a 4cylinder. When people buy a porsche they usually want something more exotic than a 4 banger....

I think porsche should bring back the 928 except more modern looking of course maybe twin turbo v8 but yeah it wouldn't be affordable lol.

they already make the affordable/ cheap porsche, the boxster.
Porsche has probably made more 4 cyls than any other motor when you include the early 911s, all teh 912s, the 914s, the 356 models and the 924s/944s/and 968s.

However, Porsche IS coming back with the 928... it's going to be a few more years though, 2012...

Check it out:http://www.caranddriver.com/carnews/...rsche-928.html

Todd,
2006 Pontiac Solstice
1984 Porsche 944
Old 01-13-2012, 03:55 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

the 2013 Boxter is looking really good...

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2012...ster-for-2013/

Attached Images  
Old 01-13-2012, 07:25 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 792 Likes on 444 Posts

Yeah, I saw it on FB. I liked the Boxster before, but I've got a serious hardon for them now.

Speaking of which: who is that in your avatar?
Old 01-13-2012, 07:38 AM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

what a thread dig!
Old 01-13-2012, 09:18 AM
87 944 C
Drifting

4yrs....really?
Old 01-13-2012, 09:42 AM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Enzo

Quick Reply: Do you think it will ever happen? Would Porsche ever build a 944 follow-on?